1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 18:08
    Originally posted by FMF
    What compelling, detailed, dismissive thoughts about a book you haven't read.
    Thanks!! 😀
  2. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 19:11
    Originally posted by whodey
    ...the Holacaust.
    A particularly bad Mexican buffet, perhaps?
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 21:27
    Originally posted by FMF
    Which of these two books do posters prefer? Dawkins' "God Delusion" or Hitchens' "The Portable Atheist"?

This question is for theists too. Which made the case more interestingly even if you don't buy into it?
    I have the "God Delusion" and enjoyed it very much. I am at a loss to explain why Bosse and other non-christians take such exception to Mr. Dawkins. Everything presented in his book is standard fare amongst atheist literature. The only thing that might raise an eyebrow is the bit about memes in relation to religion, but he presents that as more of a thought experiment. Everything else is more or less an overview of standard atheist fare. And in his interviews I find him to be a charming and witty individual.

I have not read any of Hitchens' books. However, in the interviews I've seen with him, he does come off as a bit more abrasive. He is just as witty, but not always as charming.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Jul '09 05:32
    Originally posted by whodey
    What I can tell you is that the man is at war with the God of the Bible.
    It would be better put if you said he was at war with "The God delusion" and for good reason. The God delusion is responsible for many atrocities and other undesirable things in our society and he explains that in the book. In fact, for me that was the best part of the book as it made me realize just how detrimental religion can be. Before reading the book I was mostly neutral on religion, after reading it I have become somewhat anti-religion.

I just find it odd that evolution equals no God. Does enyone else think this to be a bit strange, espeically when evolution does not even address our origins?
    I find it odd that he would say that (he doesn't in his book). Can you quote his exact words as I suspect he was taken out of context. It is more likely that he was pointing out that there was no-longer any need to invoke God as an explanation for life.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree