1. Joined
    21 Jun '08
    Moves
    30 Jun '08 00:45
    Over at my new blog, I have brought Andrew's Greeley's latest book to my readers' attention. There Greeley offers his own picture of Jesus, and cites as adversaries to his Jesus, those portraits presented by, among others, Dan Brown (Da Vinci Code), Nikos Kazasomethingorother (Last Temptation) and Mel Gibson (The Passion). I would be honoured by the participation of those interested in this discussed if they would follow the link to the blog...

http://mrkellywilson.wordpress.com/
  2. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    06 Jul '08 03:234 edits
    Here's an interesting collection of Jesus portraits: http://picturesofjesus4you.com/

First, check out this page: http://picturesofjesus4you.com/gallery1portraits.html
    You'll see that Jesus is portrayed in each as a white man with long flowing hair and a neatly trimmed beard and mustache.

As if that weren't odd enough, check out what's on the alternate "Ethnic/Black" page (as if Jesus actually were a model Aryan!): http://picturesofjesus4you.com/jesus_black.html
    Among the portraits we find here, many are distinguishable from the Aryan Jesus portraits only in that they appear to have had their skin darkened in, while several others are indistinguishable altogether.

Does it strike anybody else as remarkable that Jesus is never realistically portrayed?
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Jul '08 06:54
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Does it strike anybody else as remarkable that Jesus is never realistically portrayed?
    Neither is Santa Claus, the boogey man, the devil, Muhammed, etc...
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    06 Jul '08 12:29
    Here's an interesting collection of Jesus portraits: http://picturesofjesus4you.com/

First, check out this page: http://picturesofjesus4you.com/gallery1portraits.html
    You'll see that Jesus is portrayed in each as a white man with long flowing hair and a neatly trimmed beard and mustache.

As if that weren't odd enough, check out what's on t ...[text shortened]...

"Does it strike anybody else as remarkable that Jesus is never realistically portrayed?"

Not really. The Bible says that there was nothing unusual about His appearance. It doesn't make for good art to portray Jesus as ordinary.

Strange people we are, always looking for something that looks the way we want it to. 😕
  5. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    07 Jul '08 20:05
    Originally posted by josephw
    The Bible says that there was nothing unusual about His appearance.
    Where is it written that 'there was nothing unusual about Jesus' appearance?'

Nemesio
  6. SEMO
    Moves
    07 Jul '08 21:30
    Exo 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:

Deu 5:8 Thou shalt not make thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the waters beneath the earth:

Deu 27:15 Cursed be the man that maketh any graven or molten image, an abomination unto the LORD, the work of the hands of the craftsman, and putteth it in a secret place. And all the people shall answer and say, Amen.

Isa 44:10 Who hath formed a god, or molten a graven image that is profitable for nothing?
  7. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    07 Jul '08 21:35
    Originally posted by pritybetta
    Exo 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
    Should one interpret these passages to mean that one ought not render realistic portraits of Jesus but rather only portraits that are anthropologically laughable?
  8. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    07 Jul '08 21:53
    This one is kind of realistic as you can't tell if the good Samaritan is going to rob him.

http://www.picturesofjesus4you.com/427.html
  9. SEMO
    Moves
    07 Jul '08 22:01
    Should one interpret these passages to mean that one ought not render realistic portraits of Jesus but rather only portraits that are anthropologically laughable?
    What is there to interpret? They seem pretty forth comming as they are.
  10. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    07 Jul '08 22:35
    What is there to interpret? They seem pretty forth comming as they are.
    Are there any images of Jesus in your home or church?
  11. SEMO
    Moves
    07 Jul '08 22:40
    Are there any images of Jesus in your home or church?
    lol, I do not go to a church. All of them around here do not fallow the Bible. They have other things they rather be doing, and they teach a perverted gospel. I will not partake of any church that will not fallow the true teachings of the Bible.
  12. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 00:471 edit
    lol, I do not go to a church. All of them around here do not fallow the Bible. They have other things they rather be doing, and they teach a perverted gospel. I will not partake of any church that will not fallow the true teachings of the Bible.
    Describe your ideal church. We know it doesn't have a woman pastor. I assume it is not Catholic or Episcopal as homos tend to gravitate toward those.

Also could you mention the style of music you think it should have? I would like Nemesio to offer his liturgical feedback. Would you have an American flag in the sanctuary?
  13. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 02:11
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    This one is kind of realistic as you can't tell if the good Samaritan is going to rob him.
    That is just cold, bro.
  14. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 02:11
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Also could you mention the style of music you think it should have?
    I pray that he doesn't answer this.
  15. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    08 Jul '08 02:22
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    I pray that he doesn't answer this.
    Yo, suffer with the rest of us.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree