1. Joined
    13 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Nov '06 10:44
    If you always look for the good in other people, it is easier to see the good in yourself.
  2. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    08 Nov '06 17:27
    Navajo Blessing Way Prayer

In beauty may I walk.
    All day long may I walk.
    Through the returning seasons may I walk.
    On the trail marked with pollen may I walk.
    With grasshoppers about my feet may I walk.
    With dew about my feet may I walk.
    With beauty may I walk.
    With beauty before me, may I walk.
    With beauty behind me, may I walk.
    With beauty above me, may I walk.
    With beauty below me, may I walk.
    With beauty all around me, may I walk.
    In old age wandering on a trail of beauty, lively, may I walk.
    In old age wandering on a trail of beauty, living again, may I walk.
    It is finished in beauty.
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    08 Nov '06 17:39
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believes in him should not perish but have everlasting life. 🙂
    For God so loved the world that he condemned them all to eternal torture, then sent his own son to live within the flawed world, and hired hitmen to kill his own son, so that a minority of the damned could escape their sentence by passing off this sick act as a 'redemption'.
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    08 Nov '06 17:41
    Originally posted by twiceaknight
    Everything that doesn't kill us makes us stronger!
    A car crash that paralyzes one from the neck down.

This cliché is overdue for retirement.
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    08 Nov '06 17:43
    Originally posted by vistesd

In beauty may I walk.
    All day long may I walk.
    With beauty may I walk.
    With beauty abo ...[text shortened]... trail of beauty, living again, may I walk.
    Someone needs to buy these poor saps a car. Or at least some good tennis shoes.
  6. Joined
    13 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Nov '06 15:251 edit
    Positive thoughts lead to a more interesting and enjoyable life than negative ones.
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    09 Nov '06 17:44
    Positive thoughts lead to a more interesting and enjoyable life than negative ones.
    I've always enjoyed negative humor - everything from George Carlin to Calvin and Hobbes. I find little enjoyment in sappy, feel-good clichés.
  8. Joined
    13 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Nov '06 19:14
    It is good that everyone tries to be clever. This is how our collective thoughts and cultures develop. It is human nature. We should accept all contributions,appreciate them, and see what we can learn from them.
  9. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    09 Nov '06 21:20
    For all you sad saps out there named Charlie (and who also happen to have a Grandpa named Joe), this deeply moving number is for you. Rarely have words ever managed to penetrate so deeply into the human condition.

"You get blue like everyone
    But me and Grandpa Joe
    Can make your troubles go away
    Blow away, there they go...

Cheer up, Charlie
    Give me a smile
    What happened to the smile I used to know
    Don't you know your grin has always
    Been my sunshine;
    Let that sunshine show...

Come on, Charlie
    No need to frown
    Deep down you know tomorrow is your toy...

When the days get heavy
    Never pitter patter
    Up and at'em boy

Some day, sweet as a song
    Charlie's lucky day will come along
    Till that day
    You've got to stay strong Charlie
    Up on top is right where you belong

Look up, Charlie
    You'll see a star
    Just follow it and keep your dreams in view
    Pretty soon the sky is going to clear up
    Charlie,
    Cheer up Charlie,do
    Cheer up Charlie
    Just be glad you're you."
  10. Joined
    13 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Nov '06 08:45
    create.......learn.......grow....
  11. Joined
    13 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 14:03
    Positive thoughts bring power to those who use them.
  12. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 14:24
    Remember...you are not a fish!
  13. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 14:55
    Not necessarily.

Suppose I think that a party will be boring. I go nonetheless. Unexpectedly, it turns out to be interesting. Now, because of the contrast between my negative expectations and the positive actuality, I end up enjoying the party more than I otherwise would have. If, however, I had blindly jumped aboard your positive thought bandwagon, and had hyped up the prospect of the party in advance, then there would have been no contrast between expectation and actuality, and consequently, no contrast-fueled heightening of enjoyment. In this case, your advice would have deprived me of my enjoyment.

Read all about it!

http://www.defensivepessimism.com/
  14. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 20:11
    Originally posted by vistesd

In beauty may I walk.
    All day long may I walk.
    With beauty may I walk.
    With beauty abo ...[text shortened]... trail of beauty, living again, may I walk.
    i dont like walking, positive thoughts are about sleeping.
  15. Joined
    13 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Nov '06 10:502 edits
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
    Not necessarily.

Suppose I think that a party will be boring. I go nonetheless. Unexpectedly, it turns out to be interesting. Now, because of the contrast between my negative expectations and the positive actuality, I end up enjoying the party more than I otherwise would have. If, however, I had blindly jumped aboard your positive thought bandwagon, ...[text shortened]... ld have deprived me of my enjoyment.

Read all about it!

http://www.defensivepessimism.com/
    Ah, but you went to the party nonetheless. You must have said "yes i will go" and as a result of this positive thinking your life was more interesting.
    If you had been negative and said "no" you would not have gone, and would have missed the party altogether. This is what i'm getting at.

Even if you go to a boring party, if you keep a positive frame of mind you could meet someone interesting in the kitchen and have a good conversation. You could even point out the party is boring and ask them to leave with you and go somewhere better. That person might change your life for the better.....for example you might get a shag!!

Positive thinking is not about denial or positivity for the sake of it. It's about trying things and being honest about how you feel, keeping an open mind and not making assumptions before you have the information needed. It is also endeavouring to make the most out of a bad (or good) situation, rather than being gloomy and defeatist.

If the party really is boring, then of course it would be positive to say so, but before you come to that conclusion you should give it a proper chance. Denial would be very negative.

Imagine taking a friend to a party and you think the party is ok and make the most of it, but they moan it's boring all night. Now imagine they have a tendency to do this at parties. We all know the type of person i mean.Why can't they just try to get into it.

How would you feel about inviting this person in future?

This is what i mean about positive thoughts leading to a more enjoyable and interesting life than negative ones.

It's good to question everything too, this is positive, as long as you are honest in your answers and keep and open mind.

Thats what I mean.

BTW, (this is not directed at you) there is nothing "sappy" about positive thoughts. They are just as tough and manly as negative ones! So come on everyone, have a go and contribute your positive thought for the day, I promise I wont laugh unless it is supposed to be funny.
    Oh, and thanks for all the input so far.

ps. That book in your link does look interesting, as long as it doesn't suggest we should 'set ourselves up for a fall' because i suspect thats where i went wrong in the past. Having said that, it's good (positive) to be prepared with a plan B.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree