1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    07 Jan '15 22:18
    I think there are very few bible verses where it's unclear whether they are intended to be literal or figurative. Obvious exceptions are prophetic verses such as in Revelations.

    Post any verse that you think can be interpreted more than one way, other than prophetic verses.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86395
    07 Jan '15 22:39
    Originally posted by vivify
    I think there are very few bible verses where it's unclear whether they are intended to be literal or figurative. Obvious exceptions are prophetic verses such as in Revelations.

    Post any verse that you think can be interpreted more than one way, other than prophetic verses.
    The last book of the Bible is called The Revelation of Jesus Christ, not Revelations. This is definitely clear. 🙂
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    07 Jan '15 22:51
    Originally posted by divegeester
    The last book of the Bible is called The Revelation of Jesus Christ, not Revelations. This is definitely clear. 🙂
    See? Understanding is easy-peasy.
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    731
    07 Jan '15 23:51
    Exodus 20:13 "Thou shall not kill."

    Years ago I quizzed a Christian on what this entailed, getting into things like piloting a bomber in wartime, capital punishment, swatting a fly on purpose, accidentally stepping on a worm, eating corn when the cornstalk was killed by the harvester, and so on.
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    08 Jan '15 00:09
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
    Exodus 20:13 "Thou shall not kill."

    Years ago I quizzed a Christian on what this entailed, getting into things like piloting a bomber in wartime, capital punishment, swatting a fly on purpose, accidentally stepping on a worm, eating corn when the cornstalk was killed by the harvester, and so on.
    This means don't kill.

    "But what about---"

    No different from any other law in the world, in that there are obvious exceptions (self-defense, carrying out a judicial sentence, etc.).
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    731
    08 Jan '15 00:431 edit
    The preacher at 3:15 (after you sit through the commercial ad) says, "There's no place in scripture for a woman to be a pastor."
    http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/archive/segment/540e11b5fe3444535b0001dc?cps=gravity_2598_3299901929730760861

    He may be basing it on this--
    1 Corinthians 14:34 "Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law."
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    731
    08 Jan '15 00:451 edit
    Originally posted by vivify
    This means don't kill.

    "But what about---"

    No different from any other law in the world, in that there are obvious exceptions (self-defense, carrying out a judicial sentence, etc.).
    Do you maintain that all true Christians will agree with you on what the specific exceptions are?

    Oops: Just saw Vivify's post, "I'm not a Christian."

    Not sure what the motivation for the OP is. 😕
  8. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    08 Jan '15 01:35
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
    Do you maintain that all true Christians will agree with you on what the specific exceptions are?

    Oops: Just saw Vivify's post, "I'm not a Christian."

    Not sure what the motivation for the OP is. 😕
    I'm tired of all the Christians who use the whole literal vs. not literal thing to defend the bible when it doesn't hold up against modern sensibility. For example, when it's pointed out that the bible is wrong about the age of the earth, the Flood, etc., a lot of Christians use the whole "it's just an allegory defense". B.S. The bible absolutely meant for Genesis to be literal, but in the face of modern science, it's claims are proven false.

    It's not just with the Creation story either. I've seen it done to sweep things like homosexuals going to hell under the rug.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    08 Jan '15 04:42
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
    Exodus 20:13 "Thou shall not kill."

    Years ago I quizzed a Christian on what this entailed, getting into things like piloting a bomber in wartime, capital punishment, swatting a fly on purpose, accidentally stepping on a worm, eating corn when the cornstalk was killed by the harvester, and so on.
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
    Exodus 20:13 "Thou shall not kill."

    "• Hebrew Lexicon :: H430 (KJV)

    Lexicon :: Strong's H7523 - ratsach

    Transliteration: ratsach

    Pronunciation: rä·tsakh' (Key)

    Part of Speech: verb

    Root Word (Etymology)

    A primitive root

    Dictionary Aids

    TWOT Reference: 2208

    Outline of Biblical Usage

    I. to murder, slay, kill

    A. (Qal) to murder, slay
    i.
    premeditated

    ii.
    accidental

    iii.
    as avenger

    iv.
    slayer (intentional) (participle)

    B. (Niphal) to be slain

    C. (Piel)
    i.
    to murder, assassinate

    ii.
    murderer, assassin (participle)(subst)

    D. (Pual) to be killed"

    http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=H7523&t=NASB

    Comment: The price of freedom is military victory; the alternative is to be vanquished and enslaved by belligerent nations.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    08 Jan '15 04:49
    Originally posted by vivify
    I'm tired of all the Christians who use the whole literal vs. not literal thing to defend the bible when it doesn't hold up against modern sensibility. For example, when it's pointed out that the bible is wrong about the age of the earth, the Flood, etc., a lot of Christians use the whole "it's just an allegory defense". B.S. The bible absolutely meant for Ge ...[text shortened]... ation story either. I've seen it done to sweep things like homosexuals going to hell under the rug.
    Originally posted by vivify
    "I'm tired of all the Christians who use the whole literal vs. not literal thing to defend the bible when it doesn't hold up against modern sensibility." / vivify, "modern sensibility" has never been nor is it now nor will it ever be the significant issue in any society. The only issue is what does God's Word teach in the original languages in which it was written.
  11. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    08 Jan '15 04:59
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    vivify, "modern sensibility" has never been nor is it now nor will it ever be the significant issue in any society. The only issue is what does God's Word teach in the original languages in which it was written.
    Of course it has. It's modern sensibilities that decided slavery should end, women should vote, segregation be abolished and that gays should be allowed to marry.

    Conversely, the bible made allowances for slavery, teaches that women ought not to teach men nor have authority over them and submit to their husbands in all subjection, using Sarah as an example who called her husband "Lord".
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    08 Jan '15 05:13
    Originally posted by vivify
    Of course it has. It's modern sensibilities that decided slavery should end, women should vote, segregation be abolished and that gays should be allowed to marry.

    Conversely, the bible made allowances for slavery, teaches that women ought not to teach men nor have authority over them and submit to their husbands in all subjection, using Sarah as an example who called her husband "Lord".
    God's Sovereignty and human free will co-exist in time. Irrespective of the historical dispensation,
    those individuals who and nations which violate His commands do so at their own peril.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12695
    08 Jan '15 05:15
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
    Exodus 20:13 "Thou shall not kill."

    Years ago I quizzed a Christian on what this entailed, getting into things like piloting a bomber in wartime, capital punishment, swatting a fly on purpose, accidentally stepping on a worm, eating corn when the cornstalk was killed by the harvester, and so on.
    This was made clear in the New Testament by Jesus when He referred to it by saying, "You shall not commit murder." So the "kill" in the Old Testament actually was referring to murder and not the killing of animals for food or killing of the enemy in battle and such as that.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12695
    08 Jan '15 05:25
    Originally posted by vivify
    I'm tired of all the Christians who use the whole literal vs. not literal thing to defend the bible when it doesn't hold up against modern sensibility. For example, when it's pointed out that the bible is wrong about the age of the earth, the Flood, etc., a lot of Christians use the whole "it's just an allegory defense". B.S. The bible absolutely meant for ...[text shortened]... n story either. I've seen it done to sweep things like homosexuals going to hell under the rug.
    I believe the Genesis 1 account of creation is literal and I don't believe modern science has proven anything written there to be in error. Some modern scientist may disagree with what it says, but they have not even come close to proving that creation account is wrong. 😏
  15. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    731
    08 Jan '15 07:132 edits
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    This was made clear in the New Testament by Jesus when He referred to it by saying, "You shall not commit murder." So the "kill" in the Old Testament actually was referring to murder and not the killing of animals for food or killing of the enemy in battle and such as that.
    Was it made perfectly clear in the Bible what counts as murder?

    When the Lutheran Oberleutnant threw a potato masher grenade into a trench filled with British soldiers near Ypres in World War I, was he committing murder? What if we change the circumstances to a soldier fighting for Fuhrer and Fatherland in World War II?

    If a Southern Baptist shoots dead a male intruder in his house who is holding a broken glass bottle, is he committing murder?
Back to Top