1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Jan '15 03:09
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Aren't we in agreement?
    No we are not.
    Abraham's bosom is a parable, not an actual place.
    The "soul" or breath life stops the moment a person dies.
    Jesus was not in paradise until 3 days later.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Jan '15 23:16
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    No we are not.
    Thanks for your reply.
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    10 Jan '15 01:06
    From Matthew chapter 10:

"And preach as you go, saying, 'The Kingdom of Heaven is at hand.' Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, cast out demons. You received without pay, give without pay. Take no gold, nor silver, nor copper in your belts [money in your purse or wallet], no bag for your journey, nor two tunics, nor sandals, nor a staff."

I am reading Jon Sweeney's book on the 13th-century Pope Celestine V. Sweeney says the Franciscan order rapidly divided into two camps, one taking this scripture very literally, the other figuratively.

The literal camp would not touch money with their hands, and wore coarse, shabby clothing. And you?
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    10 Jan '15 14:542 edits
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
    From Matthew chapter 10:

"And preach as you go, saying, 'The Kingdom of Heaven is at hand.' Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, cast out demons. You received without pay, give without pay. Take no gold, nor silver, nor copper in your belts [money in your purse or wallet], no bag for your journey, nor two tunics, nor sandals, nor a staff." ...[text shortened]... literal camp would not touch money with their hands, and wore coarse, shabby clothing. And you?
    https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew%2010

Those were instructions given specifically for the Twelve Disciples. It says at the beginning of the chapter you just quoted that Jesus "called" his Twelve desciples, and gave them "authority to perform supernatural feats. Then, just before the words you quoted, it says "These twelve Jesus sent out with the following instructions: “

So in context, they were instructions to be taken literally by specifically the Twelve Desciples. Makes sense, since earlier in the chapter, Jesus gave them a bunch of super powers.
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    10 Jan '15 16:06
    "And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten, the cankerworm, and the caterpillar, and the palmerworm, my great army which I sent among you."
    - Joel 2:25

Once when I heard about a Christian-owned business in my area going bankrupt, I asked a Christian blogger if God is compelled to restore the owner's wealth, in accordance with Joel 2:25. The blogger said "No" and gave me a reason for that answer.

I will tell his reason later, but I wonder how others here would deal with my question.
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    10 Jan '15 16:17
    "And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten, the cankerworm, and the caterpillar, and the palmerworm, my great army which I sent among you."
    - Joel 2:25

Once when I heard about a Christian-owned business in my area going bankrupt, I asked a Christian blogger if God is compelled to restore the owner's wealth, in accordance with J ...[text shortened]... swer.

I will tell his reason later, but I wonder how others here would deal with my question.
    You quoted from one of the prophetic books (prophets with messages for Israel, not necessarily the end times). That message was for Israel as a whole nation, not a promise for dealing with each individual situation.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    10 Jan '15 17:16
    Originally posted by vivify
    Post any verse that you think can be interpreted more than one way, other than prophetic verses.
    All of them. None of them. Depending on how you look at it.

2 Peter 1:20
    Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
  8. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    10 Jan '15 17:30
    Originally posted by josephw
    All of them. None of them. Depending on how you look at it.

2 Peter 1:20
    Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
    Doesn't change the fact that most of the Bible is straightforward. Inconsistent, yes, but still straightforward.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    10 Jan '15 18:17
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    No we are not.
    The story of Lazarus and the rich man is not a parable.
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    10 Jan '15 18:31
    Doesn't change the fact that most of the Bible is straightforward. Inconsistent, yes, but still straightforward.
    No one can say of the Bible, what we call the book that contains the Word of God, that it is anything other than what is says about itself.

You can say what you want, but that doesn't change God's Word.
  11. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    10 Jan '15 18:362 edits
    Originally posted by josephw
    No one can say of the Bible, what we call the book that contains the Word of God, that it is anything other than what is says about itself.

You can say what you want, but that doesn't change God's Word.
    Are you saying that the bible isn't straight forward, based on that verse? Because if so, you have taken that verse out of context.
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    10 Jan '15 18:47
    Are you saying that the bible isn't straight forward, based on that verse? Because of so, you have taken that verse out of context.
    I'm not saying that at all.

The Word of God is clear, even when we don't think so. We are unclear is what I'm saying. It isn't our prerogative to decide the interpretation of any particular verse. The Word of God interprets itself.

This topic is deep.
  13. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    10 Jan '15 21:01
    You quoted from one of the prophetic books (prophets with messages for Israel, not necessarily the end times). That message was for Israel as a whole nation, not a promise for dealing with each individual situation.
    The Christian blogger told me Joel 2:25 was meant for "a certain tribe at a certain time," which is along the lines of what vivify says.

I pointed out to the blogger that his interpretation seems at odds with two other scriptures--

"Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons." - Acts 10:34

"Jesus Christ * is the same yesterday and today and forever." - Hebrews 13:8

So how could God treat an ancient tribe differently than he treats the modern church? The blogger told me I was wrong to see a contradiction there, but he did not elaborate.

* One can quibble that Hebrews is saying Jesus, but the blogger is adamant that Jesus is of one essence with God the Father.
  14. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    10 Jan '15 21:48
    The Christian blogger told me Joel 2:25 was meant for "a certain tribe at a certain time," which is along the lines of what vivify says.

I pointed out to the blogger that his interpretation seems at odds with two other scriptures--

[i]"Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons." - Acts 10:34 ...[text shortened]... ws is saying Jesus, but the blogger is adamant that Jesus is of one essence with God the Father.
    Not sure what you mean by "treat differently", since I don't see any difference in treatment. Can you be more specific?
  15. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    10 Jan '15 22:461 edit
    Not sure what you mean by "treat differently", since I don't see any difference in treatment. Can you be more specific?
    The blogger would maintain that a person who suffers economic devastation [will/might not] be abundantly recompensed by God on this Earth depending on whether that person is a member of the [ancient Hebrew tribe/modern church].

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree