1. Standard memberua41
    Sharp Edge
    Dulling my blade
    Joined
    11 Dec '09
    Moves
    14434
    27 Mar '11 05:513 edits
    Edit: Sorry to anyone witnessing this before the actual post, my finger was a bit excited.

    Just been thinking lately of a lot of the potential I see around me. Day to day, everyone has the ability to encourage their fellow man, build up this mutual society around us. Often times, I get frustrated or lost in direction. A good turnback of mine is to rely on compassion. In a conversation with one of the chums on this site, he said, "It's good to turn to compassion when all seems lost."

    Always keep your hearts open, there's so much to take in and indulge in in this crazy, mutual dream we call life, reality and the universe. Don't deny fellow man, we're all brethren in this together. I bite my tongue as quick as a sharp word, but I should work on not having the sharp word to begin with. There is much to partake and participate in, and there is much to do and progress in.



    Some little writings that have been on my mind as of tonight

    "35And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people.
    36But when he saw the multitudes, he was moved with compassion on them, because they fainted, and were scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd.
    37Then saith he unto his disciples, The harvest truly is plenteous, but the labourers are few;
    38Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he will send forth labourers into his harvest."
    Matthew 9:35-38

    "When Tao is lost, Compassion becomes doctrine,
    when Compassion is lost, Justice becomes doctrine,
    when Justice is lost, Ritual becomes doctrine.
    Ritual is the slow loss of loyalty
    and the beginning of unprincipled confusion."
    -Lao Tzu

    "My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness. "
    -(current) Dalai Lama

    "And what will explain to you what the steep path is? It is the freeing of a (slave) from bondage; or the giving of food in a day of famine to an orphan relative, or to a needy in distress. Then will he be of those who believe, enjoin fortitude and encourage kindness and compassion."
    -Chapter 90, Verses 12-17
  2. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    27 Mar '11 11:51
    Originally posted by ua41
    Edit: Sorry to anyone witnessing this before the actual post, my finger was a bit excited.

    Just been thinking lately of a lot of the potential I see around me. Day to day, everyone has the ability to encourage their fellow man, build up this mutual society around us. Often times, I get frustrated or lost in direction. A good turnback of mine is to rely on co ...[text shortened]... njoin fortitude and encourage kindness and compassion."
    -Chapter 90, Verses 12-17
    "Day to day, everyone has the ability to encourage their fellow man, build up this mutual society around us."

    But the reality is we are fractured. While there are those who practice acts of altruism they are far too few.

    It seems the majority are hell bent on manipulating those around them in an attempt to satisfy their own carnal desires. To one degree or another.

    It's the same old story. Societies come and go. They prosper and flourish, and then wither and die. And for the same reasons.

    Time is not linear. Time is cyclical. We are merely passing through another season. Man is the same as he ever was. We are doomed to repeat the past.
  3. Standard memberua41
    Sharp Edge
    Dulling my blade
    Joined
    11 Dec '09
    Moves
    14434
    27 Mar '11 15:272 edits
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]"Day to day, everyone has the ability to encourage their fellow man, build up this mutual society around us."

    But the reality is we are fractured. While there are those who practice acts of altruism they are far too few.

    It seems the majority are hell bent on manipulating those around them in an attempt to satisfy their own carnal desires. To on ing through another season. Man is the same as he ever was. We are doomed to repeat the past.[/b]
    In the happiness thread, within the first few posts, I say that Socrates is scared to make sculptures from the mud*. Despite all the reasons you've listed, I've found my reaction to it all is to face it along with the same amount of tolerance and compassion and to fulfill potential.

    The flow leads to each and every one of us and similarly stops at each and every one of us. We are all contributing our own ripples to the stream of consciousness. It seems intimidating when the current seems so prominent, but that's not my issue.

    I mean, Jesus saw the potential amongst all the people he was preaching to in his ministries. He didn't stop just because he recognized the corruptibility of his fellow man. He kept going, preaching the news. God doesn't say, "Be compassionate, unless man seems to be too evil and greedy, in that case forget it." He said we are separate from the world, out to shed light onto it etc.

    Besides, if there was no greed, and sin and corruption to overcome and fill in with compassion, there would be no room for compassion in the first place 🙂

    *edit: Does anyone know the movie were the quote about the mice in the cream is in? It goes something like, "There's two mice in a bowl of cream, one gives up and meets his fate. The other tries and struggles to get out, eventually kicking his feet so much he turns the cream into butter and climbs out"
  4. Melbourne, Australia
    Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    7680
    27 Mar '11 16:23
    Originally posted by ua41
    In the happiness thread, within the first few posts, I say that Socrates is scared to make sculptures from the mud*. Despite all the reasons you've listed, I've found my reaction to it all is to face it along with the same amount of tolerance and compassion and to fulfill potential.

    The flow leads to each and every one of us and similarly stops at each and e ...[text shortened]... ut, eventually kicking his feet so much he turns the cream into butter and climbs out"
    I have pondered on what ultimately is able to change people who have chosen or been caught up in dark paths. We need at times to constrain them for safety's sake.
    We need at times to reluctantly enter into conflict to protect and limit damage by others. Neither of these change the other though. Punishment doesn't either, it usually hardens and builds resentment.
    Sustained compassion is the only thing that I have seen that can break down the walls and bring change and healing. The compassion takes different forms, including tough involved loving and understanding. But it has a power to challenge even hardened criminals.
    There is only one thing stronger than sustained hatred and cruelty.
    That is the act of forgiveness out of deep and understanding compassion of damaged human beings and their behaviour. It always has the potency of choosing this, the last word and act. And it heals the hurt of the forgiver too, by letting go bitterness and connecting with the highest part of ourselves.

    Thanks ua.
  5. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Joined
    20 May '10
    Moves
    8042
    27 Mar '11 18:14
    Originally posted by ua41
    Edit: Sorry to anyone witnessing this before the actual post, my finger was a bit excited.

    Just been thinking lately of a lot of the potential I see around me. Day to day, everyone has the ability to encourage their fellow man, build up this mutual society around us. Often times, I get frustrated or lost in direction. A good turnback of mine is to rely on co ...[text shortened]... njoin fortitude and encourage kindness and compassion."
    -Chapter 90, Verses 12-17
    The greatest compassion is to remove ignorance and establish truth in the heart of each person.

    Anything short of this is false compassion.

    Why feed a man ....is it not better to teach him to feed himself.

    Why bandage a man....is it not better to teach him not to battle in the first place.

    Why draw the line with compassion, when you can extend it to all living creatures......and not exclude the animals.

    Vedanta presents the greatest compassion........allowing each person to return home, and not having to take birth in this world of suffering, over and over again.
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91921
    27 Mar '11 20:08
    Originally posted by ua41
    In the happiness thread, within the first few posts, I say that Socrates is scared to make sculptures from the mud*. Despite all the reasons you've listed, I've found my reaction to it all is to face it along with the same amount of tolerance and compassion and to fulfill potential.

    The flow leads to each and every one of us and similarly stops at each and e ...[text shortened]... ut, eventually kicking his feet so much he turns the cream into butter and climbs out"
    OOh, ooh, that movie... I saw it not long ago, prolly a kids movie, but alas my brain fails me.

    Joesphw-there are good cycles and bad cycles. The cycles you refer to are bad cycles. They can be broken through comapssion and potential.
    For these have not just been a very long string of births and deaths for no reason.
    The human race is "upgrading".

    We're all going to die, but how will you react( or not) when it happens? Was enough wisdom brought to light during your life to not be attached to your (old) life when you realize you are dead?
  7. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    27 Mar '11 22:09
    Originally posted by ua41
    In the happiness thread, within the first few posts, I say that Socrates is scared to make sculptures from the mud*. Despite all the reasons you've listed, I've found my reaction to it all is to face it along with the same amount of tolerance and compassion and to fulfill potential.

    The flow leads to each and every one of us and similarly stops at each and e ...[text shortened]... ut, eventually kicking his feet so much he turns the cream into butter and climbs out"
    I think one must be an optimist to be compassionate. To see the potential in us all. In general people can be helped,(if they need it)and improve their condition, but only with the help of compassionate people.

    But their are too many people to help. Does that mean I'm a pessimist? No. I'm a realist.

    I agree with you that we all contribute to the whole. Knowing that, we strive to make the world a better place for all beginning with our own. But compassion isn't enough. Like Taoman says, we must exact justice with tough love. There are those who are beyond the reach of compassion. They are reprobate and must be removed from society for the safety of all.

    This is just my two cents worth.
  8. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    27 Mar '11 22:18
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    OOh, ooh, that movie... I saw it not long ago, prolly a kids movie, but alas my brain fails me.

    Joesphw-there are good cycles and bad cycles. The cycles you refer to are bad cycles. They can be broken through comapssion and potential.
    For these have not just been a very long string of births and deaths for no reason.
    The human race is "upgrading". ...[text shortened]... o light during your life to not be attached to your (old) life when you realize you are dead?
    "The human race is "upgrading"."

    That's delusional. I think you must be confusing technology with the human condition. While it may be true that knowledge is increasing, humans are the same as ever and getting worse.

    How can anyone believe man is evolving into a more moral creature? Don't you read the headlines? Are you so unaware of human history?
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91921
    27 Mar '11 22:21
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]"The human race is "upgrading"."

    That's delusional. I think you must be confusing technology with the human condition. While it may be true that knowledge is increasing, humans are the same as ever and getting worse.

    How can anyone believe man is evolving into a more moral creature? Don't you read the headlines? Are you so unaware of human history?[/b]
    Yes, all those points. more moral, yes. headlines, pffft.
    human history, the experiences have been inserted into the noosphere so that all may benefit from them, yes,yes, we have more potential that what we are living up to.
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91921
    27 Mar '11 22:23
    Originally posted by josephw
    I think one must be an optimist to be compassionate. To see the potential in us all. In general people can be helped,(if they need it)and improve their condition, but only with the help of compassionate people.

    But their are too many people to help. Does that mean I'm a pessimist? No. I'm a realist.

    I agree with you that we all contribute to the whole ...[text shortened]... e and must be removed from society for the safety of all.

    This is just my two cents worth.
    Two cents worth from RC. Lol
  11. Standard memberua41
    Sharp Edge
    Dulling my blade
    Joined
    11 Dec '09
    Moves
    14434
    28 Mar '11 15:01
    Originally posted by josephw
    I think one must be an optimist to be compassionate. To see the potential in us all. In general people can be helped,(if they need it)and improve their condition, but only with the help of compassionate people.

    But their are too many people to help. Does that mean I'm a pessimist? No. I'm a realist.

    I agree with you that we all contribute to the whole ...[text shortened]... e and must be removed from society for the safety of all.

    This is just my two cents worth.
    Pessimistic, optimist, realist? Why mess with the words when the message is simply compassion?

    Since there's so many people to help, it doesn't mean there's too many. It starts with everyone. I'm not going to let something like that daunt me. My focus is on my fellow man. Yeah, I personally won't be to reach everyone, but that's not my concern. I've go to work with what I've got.

    Saying people must be removed from society, and saying there's too much people for compassion to go around is limiting yourself. Diminishing your potential before you even act.

    (Almost always referencing Jesus with compassion these days)
    - in the starting post, there's a passage from Jesus where he notes all the potential out there (the harvest is abundant). He didn't say, there's too much out there to pick, he says to do your part to contribute
    - when there are disciples talking about the demon possessed child, Jesus comes up them and gives 'em a sharp word. He asks why they didn't cast the demon out, they all had the power to do so.

    I'll try to keep my motives aligned for the well being of others, tied with compassion. It's really not that daunting of a task. I may not be to able to control the situation or conditions around me, but I can choose how I respond and react to it.
  12. Standard memberua41
    Sharp Edge
    Dulling my blade
    Joined
    11 Dec '09
    Moves
    14434
    29 Mar '11 18:49
    Originally posted by Dasa
    The greatest compassion is to remove ignorance and establish truth in the heart of each person.

    Anything short of this is false compassion.

    Why feed a man ....is it not better to teach him to feed himself.

    Why bandage a man....is it not better to teach him not to battle in the first place.

    Why draw the line with compassion, when you can extend it to ...[text shortened]... on to return home, and not having to take birth in this world of suffering, over and over again.
    Good points, but a thought that crosses my mind

    Wisdom through compassion
    Compassion through wisdom

    Don't ever separate the two. A lesson for the both of us Vish
  13. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    29 Mar '11 20:161 edit
    Originally posted by ua41
    Good points, but a thought that crosses my mind

    Wisdom through compassion
    Compassion through wisdom

    Don't ever separate the two. A lesson for the both of us Vish
    can i ask, when we ourselves experience suffering in some way, either through
    adversity, or some unforeseen circumstance, does it makes us more compassionate
    and empathetic towards others, or does it harden our hearts. The reason that I ask is
    that i have met not a few people who are hard on the outside, but soft inside and those
    who are soft on the outside, but hard inside.
  14. Standard memberua41
    Sharp Edge
    Dulling my blade
    Joined
    11 Dec '09
    Moves
    14434
    29 Mar '11 20:39
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    can i ask, when we ourselves experience suffering in some way, either through
    adversity, or some unforeseen circumstance, does it makes us more compassionate
    and empathetic towards others, or does it harden our hearts. The reason that I ask is
    that i have met not a few people who are hard on the outside, but soft inside and those
    who are soft on the outside, but hard inside.
    I can only speak from my experience. I can't say I've had incredibly difficult situations in my life in comparison to a lot of people out there because I've never walked directly in their shoes and it would be an unfair assumption. However, I'd have to say how we perceive the situations, how we react to it, determines whether it makes this part or that part callous. Of course, a lot of this could be your inherent character, how you "instinctually" react to things.

    Either way, it also been my experience that general tolerance and compassion makes the most strengthened walls permeable. It makes a fluid medium of connection. Going through rough times and you surround yourself with good family and friends and it's such a boost and motivation. Too lazy to look up the passages, but these are from the bible- "As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend." and "Two are better than one, for if one falls down the other can pick him up." Compassion is something that stands up through the rough times and the good times and can be strengthened through both.
  15. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    29 Mar '11 23:001 edit
    Originally posted by ua41
    I can only speak from my experience. I can't say I've had incredibly difficult situations in my life in comparison to a lot of people out there because I've never walked directly in their shoes and it would be an unfair assumption. However, I'd have to say how we perceive the situations, how we react to it, determines whether it makes this part or that part cal s up through the rough times and the good times and can be strengthened through both.
    hi, i was thinking not so much of ourselves, but the people we meet. I just wondered
    what shaped people, whether adversity makes one more or less compassionate. I
    think it should make one more compassionate, more able to empathise with others in
    a kind of shared fellow feeling, but its not always the case.
Back to Top