1. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Joined
    22 Jan '13
    Moves
    1834
    05 May '13 13:45
    ...of the planet Kolob 😀

    YouTube
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12693
    05 May '13 16:402 edits
    Originally posted by woodypusher
    ...of the planet Kolob 😀

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6udew9axmdM
    This is a very good example of a religious cult and their false teachings. They put on a front of being Christians and yet have graven images (sculptures) of cattle in there temple as gods to worship just like the ancient Egyptians and the Israelite slaves. Apparently their God named Elohim behind the vail is just another man. What a fake.
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91531
    08 May '13 00:20
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    This is a very good example of a religious cult and their false teachings. They put on a front of being Christians and yet have graven images (sculptures) of cattle in there temple as gods to worship just like the ancient Egyptians and the Israelite slaves. Apparently their God named Elohim behind the vail is just another man. What a fake.
    graven images???

    Heck we wouldn't want that. Just give me a dead jew on a cross instead, it makes sooooo much more sense 😉
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    08 May '13 00:432 edits
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    This is a very good example of a religious cult and their false teachings. They put on a front of being Christians and yet have graven images (sculptures) of cattle in there temple as gods to worship just like the ancient Egyptians and the Israelite slaves. Apparently their God named Elohim behind the vail is just another man. What a fake.
    Engraving, particularly intaglio engraving (use of the engraving for making copies), may have been frowned upon by the ancient religious elite, because it embodied some aspects of the printing press and could easily be turned to that use. Comparably, mass distribution of scriptures printed by the Gutenberg process was frowned upon by the religious elite because it opened up the scriptures to public scrutiny and diminished the role of the elite in interpretation of their meaning.

    Edit: In fact the term "graven image" might not have come into prominence until the Gutenberg days, and then was "authenticated" by being used by the elite in reference to the ancient taboo on idol worship.
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91531
    08 May '13 00:59
    Originally posted by JS357
    Engraving, particularly intaglio engraving (use of the engraving for making copies), may have been frowned upon by the ancient religious elite, because it embodied some aspects of the printing press and could easily be turned to that use. Comparably, mass distribution of scriptures printed by the Gutenberg process was frowned upon by the religious elite becaus ...[text shortened]... authenticated" by being used by the elite in reference to the ancient taboo on idol worship.
    It could be argued that Buddhism is the most idlolatrous religion because the Buddha has the most statues of him than any other religious person.

    But even the most simple of Buddhist scholars would know that the statues are not there to be graven images to be worshiped .

    I'm sure you know this [JS357], I just like to point this out to the others who might not get it.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Infidel
    Dunedin
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    08 May '13 01:21
    Originally posted by JS357
    intaglio engraving (use of the engraving for making copies), may have been frowned upon by the ancient religious elite, because it embodied some aspects of the printing press and could easily be turned to that use. .
    Not heard of that before but it is of course a really good reason for the religious elite to ban it.

    It's the same as some religions clinging to their holy texts in the original
    archaic language - more power to the priests - less to the people.

    Religion has always been a scam!
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12693
    08 May '13 05:011 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    graven images???

    Heck we wouldn't want that. Just give me a dead jew on a cross instead, it makes sooooo much more sense 😉
    The way i see it is that the prohibition was not against any image that represented the true God, like the crucifix or the image on the Shroud of Turin, but those images that represented false gods that were worshipped by the pagans, because our God is a jealous God.

    The Instructor.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12693
    08 May '13 05:07
    Originally posted by JS357
    Engraving, particularly intaglio engraving (use of the engraving for making copies), may have been frowned upon by the ancient religious elite, because it embodied some aspects of the printing press and could easily be turned to that use. Comparably, mass distribution of scriptures printed by the Gutenberg process was frowned upon by the religious elite becaus ...[text shortened]... authenticated" by being used by the elite in reference to the ancient taboo on idol worship.
    Well, the English translation of the Holy Bible was not made until after that, so the translators used English words that the people of that time could relate to.

    The Instructor
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91531
    08 May '13 21:12
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The way i see it is that the prohibition was not against any image that represented the true God, like the crucifix or the image on the Shroud of Turin, but those images that represented false gods that were worshipped by the pagans, because our God is a jealous God.

    The Instructor.
    Yeah well I disagree.

    The Shaman.
Back to Top