1. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 21:04
    I was called in to discuss my current position with my company. Long story short, they doubled my salary. I was so amazed! Prayer does help, we just have to ask God and stick to being faithful and trust His judgment.

Praise God! Thank you God!
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 21:301 edit
    Originally posted by Nicksten
    I was called in to discuss my current position with my company. Long story short, they doubled my salary. I was so amazed! Prayer does help, we just have to ask God and stick to being faithful and trust His judgment.

So it had nothing to do with your own capabilities, just the big hand in the sky coming down and saying 'double this man's salary, because I like him'? Congratulations anyway! How does it feel to now be making 8 bucks an hour🙂
  3. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 21:37

You really believe in a god who will arrange to double your salary because you're faithful and you pray!? Good grief.

Quite apart from the rather selfish nature of your prayers, don't you think that this god of yours might have his priorities rather screwed up?
  4. Maryland
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 23:18

Are you saying people out of work are not as good as you? A lot of them pray too!
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 23:20

So prayer is just about asking for things and God is praiseworthy because he rewards you material wealth? That actually sounds really shallow.
  6. Illinois
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 23:301 edit
    The Israelites knew God as Provider. Those who walked according to God's law were promised reward, both financial and spiritual. God is a "rewarder of those who seek Him".

On the contrary, asking for blessings is the opposite of selfish, since doing so acknowledges one's dependence on God—and nothing pleases God more than faith expressing itself as reliance on His word.
  7. Illinois
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 23:422 edits
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    So prayer is just about asking for things and God is praiseworthy because he rewards you material wealth? That actually sounds really shallow.
    I don't see anything wrong with giving praise where praise is due. And Nicksten never claimed that prayer is just about asking for things—that's an unfair interpretation of his comments, IMO.
  8. Maryland
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 23:54
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    The Israelites knew God as Provider. Those who walked according to God's law were promised reward, both financial and spiritual. God is a "rewarder of those who seek Him".

On the contrary, asking for blessings is the opposite of selfish, since doing so acknowledges one's dependence on God—and nothing pleases God more than faith expressing itself as reliance on His word.
    Then you and god are light weights!
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    28 Jun '11 23:58
    I don't see anything wrong with giving praise where praise is due. And Nicksten never claimed that prayer is just about asking for things—that's an unfair interpretation of his comments, IMO.
    Is it ok in your opinion to pray and ask to win the lottery?
  10. Illinois
    Moves
    29 Jun '11 00:01
    Originally posted by 667joe
    Then you and god are light weights!
    What does that even mean?
  11. Illinois
    Moves
    29 Jun '11 00:061 edit
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Is it ok in your opinion to pray and ask to win the lottery?
    OK in what sense?
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    29 Jun '11 00:13
    OK in what sense?
    Is it acceptable to God that one should pray for wealth ? [I guess that another way of putting it]
  13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    29 Jun '11 00:16

I can't imagine a more contemptible position than this. If I believed in god I'd be offended by your post.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Jun '11 00:25
    I see a lot wrong with it. First, the Scriptures, while teaching God's covenantal commitment of prosperity to his chosen people, equally teaches that the path to God involves suffering and hardship. Take, for example, the wandering of the Israelites in the desert, the sufferings of Job, the passion of Christ (and his statement, Thy will be done), or St Paul's teaching that each must be tested through fire. It is certainly true that Jesus teaches his disciples to ask for what they need, Give us this day our daily bread, but I can't imagine Jesus instructing his disciples to pray for salary rises -- this is the same Jesus who asked his disciples to give up everything, let the dead bury the dead.

Second, I think it's contemptible to think of God as praiseworthy simply for bestowing material wealth. If you read the Church Fathers, for example, God's praiseworthiness derives from His nature, as something beautiful and good in itself. I think it's kind of shallow to praise God simply because of an increased pay unless there really were some higher need for money. Perhaps Nicksten can explain that.
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    29 Jun '11 00:42

So we all pray (for ourselves?) and god doubles everyones salary.

He must be some sort of economist to make that work!

(At least he creams off 10% though!) 😉

BUT SERIOUSLY ... thanks for the proof we have all been looking for for the existance of god. This forum can now close.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree