1. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 21:40
    Originally posted by Nicksten
    Doesn't look like Robbie was here..........................................still not.
    He's busy praising Father Son and Holy Ghost.
    In secret of course.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 21:481 edit
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    He's busy praising Father Son and Holy Ghost.
    In secret of course.
    it my arm could traverse a fibre optic cable i would send it down and flick your ear lobe! When will you challenge skeety, you pansy! shes too scared of me!
  3. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    02 Jul '11 07:46
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes i am, its rather interesting to say the least. Are we to attribute our friends salary increase to divine intervention? who can say? What do the scriptures indicate, with regard to material things and the Christian perspective?

(Matthew 6:31-32) . . .So never be anxious and say, ‘What are we to eat?’ or, ‘What are we to drink?’ or, ‘What are ...[text shortened]... rk so i could spend more time with my family, for what price shall one put on a day of life?
    Very nicely said Robbie. My dreams are to be rich one day - who really hasn't got or had that dream but for my dreams to come true, things drastically will need to change. But that is not what I want now but wouldn't mind if I was.
  4. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    02 Jul '11 08:04
    Robbie was here 🙂
    LOL
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jul '11 08:431 edit
    Originally posted by Nicksten
    Very nicely said Robbie. My dreams are to be rich one day - who really hasn't got or had that dream but for my dreams to come true, things drastically will need to change. But that is not what I want now but wouldn't mind if I was.
    nah nah my friend, forget about riches, look after your wife and family, spend time with your kids, when your old and grey your riches will mock you, Billionaire Getty stated the following,

"I hate to be a failure. I hate and regret the failure of my marriages. I would gladly give all my millions for just one last marital success."

Interesting perspective on the relative value of riches to a happy family 🙂
  6. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    02 Jul '11 09:56
    Matthew 19:24
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jul '11 09:59
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Matthew 19:24
    Could be construed as hyperbole, me thinks.
  8. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    02 Jul '11 10:02
    Could be construed as hyperbole, me thinks.
    Literal word of god, isn't it?
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jul '11 10:054 edits
    Literal word of god, isn't it?
    yes but Christ was not averse to using hyperbole, 'it would be better for the residents of Sodom and Gomorrah than for this generation', etc if one looks at the context clearly it was the young mans evaluation of the relative value of riches that held him back, relative to a life as a disciple of Christ. He simply could not live without them, they gave him his identity. Its really interesting, do we really need material things with which to seek a personal identity, this car makes me awesome? I have thirteen bathrooms, i am da man?
  10. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    02 Jul '11 10:09
    yes but Christ was not averse to using hyperbole, 'it would be better for the residents of Sodom and Gomorrah than for this generation', etc
    Maybe so, but I think the message here is pretty clear. I certainly think that someone who professes his dreams of becoming rich is a long way from understanding what Jesus was about.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jul '11 10:15
    Maybe so, but I think the message here is pretty clear. I certainly think that someone who professes his dreams of becoming rich is a long way from understanding what Jesus was about.
    yes indeed, however one must also view it in a cultural context, for I am aware that American Christians are likely to view material prosperity as a 'sign', of divine favour. Its kind of etched into their psyche, partly because of their history me thinks.
  12. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    02 Jul '11 10:25
    yes indeed, however one must also view it in a cultural context, for I am aware that American Christians are likely to view material prosperity as a 'sign', of divine favour. Its kind of etched into their psyche, partly because of their history me thinks.
    You're right, this barely-contained lust for material wealth seems to have originated in the States, or at least grown large there before spreading abroad. It does seem to be difficult to reconcile with the christian ideal. But then much about modern interpretations of christianity seems wide of the message to me.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jul '11 10:591 edit
    You're right, this barely-contained lust for material wealth seems to have originated in the States, or at least grown large there before spreading abroad. It does seem to be difficult to reconcile with the christian ideal. But then much about modern interpretations of christianity seems wide of the message to me.
    Yes, we agree again, it seems to me that they can be extremely right wing with their Christianity, in fact, its quite scary in some instances even leading to militant groups, in the UK, its kind of the opposite, its a much softer approach. Then again we have seen in Latin America, the rise of extreme left wing Christianity, with liberation theology. One is indeed left wondering what Jesus would make of it all.
  14. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    02 Jul '11 12:41
    it my arm could traverse a fibre optic cable i would send it down and flick your ear lobe! When will you challenge skeety, you pansy! shes too scared of me!
    I am no challenge for skeeter. 😞
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jul '11 12:52
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    I am no challenge for skeeter. 😞
    wut? my goodness man, are you not a southern gentleman, used to duels and fighting for the honour of ladies? well then, the shrew must be tamed! see to it and no more wussing out on me! 300 rating points of a difference is nothing! i get beat up by 1400's all the time!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree