1. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    30 Jun '11 23:00
    Originally posted by Doward
    That's an interesting proposition. We were discussing a very similar concept recently at a bible study. Many denominations have an old testament view where this is concerned. They link personal success with God's favor. If I am faithful then I will succeed, whereas my nieghbor must be sinful, because he is poor i.e. if you are rich its because God loves you ...[text shortened]... When we treat them fairly, give them a helping hand, and offer respect rather than disdain.
    Very nice. I am not near rich of my new increase. I am not walking with my nose in the air past family, friends or colleagues. I am financially better off then what I was before and for that I must thank my God because I am seeing it as a Gift from Him.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Jun '11 23:08
    Originally posted by Nicksten
    It feels great - earning more than you do - LOL 😉
    hehe, just pulling your chain! No offense meant. Anyway I make WAY more than that, I make TWELVE dollars an hour🙂
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Jun '11 23:09
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Next time, ask for a cure for cancer.
    Would it be ok to pray for the success of atheism?
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    30 Jun '11 23:31
    Originally posted by RosePetal
    God always answers prayers individually and according to what is best for us, even if we don't think so. Sometimes He says YES and sometimes He say NO and sometimes He says WAIT. But He ALWAYS answers.
    Well I guess if NOT answering a prayer is deemed an answer then he answers an awful lot!

Another great proof for the existance of god!!

btw Father Christmas left his glass of sherry last Christmas. I took this as a sign from him that I was to drink more. (And some say santa doesnt exist!!!)
  5. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    30 Jun '11 23:32
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    I see a lot wrong with it. First, the Scriptures, while teaching God's covenantal commitment of prosperity to his chosen people, equally teaches that the path to God involves suffering and hardship. Take, for example, the wandering of the Israelites in the desert, the sufferings of Job, the passion of Christ (and his statement, Thy will be done), or ...[text shortened]... ay unless there really were some higher need for money. Perhaps Nicksten can explain that.
    Conrau K, in my case I was asking for it because:
    - I am in debt
    - I NEED another car but a new one will be best
    - I need to have money to afford a better medical aid. We are halfway through the year and our budget has been spend. Any appointment going forward has to be with cash we dont have
    - I need money for petrol/gas as our offices has moved 70KM further (140KM Per day extra traveling)
    - I need to start taking out a retirement fund. The later I start the smaller the monthly pension
    - I also need more money as I am tired of working nights in and nights out trying to earn extra money so I can feed my wife and daughter

The list goes on...

Because I thanked God for my salary increase, who said I was praying for material wealth? There are many things we want and need and thus when God gives or not, He is still to be praised. Even if my intentions were materialistic it does not make it contemptible to thank and praise God for a gift. It makes it contemptible and selfish if I didn't.
  6. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    30 Jun '11 23:33
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Would it be ok to pray for the success of atheism?
    LOL
    To whom will the atheist pray?
  7. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    30 Jun '11 23:34
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    hehe, just pulling your chain! No offense meant. Anyway I make WAY more than that, I make TWELVE dollars an hour🙂
    LOL - then lunch is on you tomorrow 😉
  8. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    30 Jun '11 23:35
    I never expected some of the remarks given here. WOW. If I wasn't mentally strong enough I would have actually believed it was wrong what had happened to me the way some of you are going on here. It is not that God just answered my prayer. It was about me and my family being in a situation that we believed only God could take care for us. If you want the same, then believe the same, do the same and offer the same as I did and I am sure that God will answer your prayer too - why not? What is wrong for asking God for wealth, health, safety, peace, friendship etc? The answer is there is nothing wrong with it. God is our Father. Who of you whom are parents do not give to your child? I am extremely thankful that God has given to us and merely am shouting out my joy to the world to say that God still provides, and that if He could do it for me He can do it for you!

Originally posted by Conrau K
    So prayer is just about asking for things and God is praiseworthy because he rewards you material wealth? That actually sounds really shallow.

No it's not. You are making your own assumptions that that was ALL I prayed for

Originally posted by Rajk999
    Is it ok in your opinion to pray and ask to win the lottery?

I don't play the lottery, but God works in mysterious ways - maybe - why not? I believe that most people who have won the lottery prayed before they bought the ticket or as the game started to show and the balls starting bouncing they prayed 🙂

Originally posted by rwingett
    I can't imagine a more contemptible position than this. If I believed in god I'd be offended by your post.

Really why? What if God gave you something He didn't give me? Would you then still be offended? Really? By just saying thank you to the Lord you would be offended?

Originally posted by 667joe
    Why then did god answer your prayers and not theirs?😳

Who is they? Do they believe in God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit? How did/do they pray? Are they giving there full share of 10% of their earnings per month, even if it means having nothing left for yourself? Do they fast? Do they attend church and homecells? Are they asking because they want or because they need? There are a million and one questions to which I don't have the answers too but the Bible has them.

Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Amen brother. I am glad to see you give thanks to The Almighty.
    Ignore the nay sayers and other morons. 🙂

Thank you, trying my best to ignore - my wife also said just ignore but some dont understand.

Next time, ask for a cure for cancer.

Don't we all pray for that and more?

NOTE THIS:
    We have also been praying for another child. If we get another child I am seeing it as a gift from God. Now if we get another child will all of your arguments still be the same?

Must I keep quite and not thank God for my child?
    Must we still then pray for the lottery Rajk999?
    I assume you still cant imagine a more contemptible position than this again rwingett - also assuming you will still not believe in God at that time?
  9. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    30 Jun '11 23:45
    INOTE THIS:
    We have also been praying for another child. If we get another child I am seeing it as a gift from God. Now if we get another child will all of your arguments still be the same?

Must I keep quite and not thank God for my child?
    Must we still then pray for the lottery Rajk999?
    I assume you still cant imagine a more contemptible position than this again rwingett - also assuming you will still not believe in God at that time?
    I'd bet if you and your wife are blessed, you'll give thanks much in the same way.
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 09:431 edit
    I never expected some of the remarks given here. WOW. If I wasn't mentally strong enough I would have actually believed it was wrong what had happened to me the way some of you are going on here. It is not that God just answered my prayer. It was about me and my family being in a situation that we believed only God could take care for us. If you want the sa than this again rwingett - also assuming you will still not believe in God at that time?
    Don't we all pray for that and more?

No. I don't pray.

We have also been praying for another child.

You don't get a child by praying. Seeing as how you you have a child already you don't a need a biology lesson. But i will say, stop praying, get rutting.

If we get another child I am seeing it as a gift from God

It's not a gift from God but a simple biological fact. One of your sperm has reached one of your wife's eggs and ended up in her womb.

Now if we get another child will all of your arguments still be the same?

You think your wife getting pregnant is proof of prayer working?! As i said, pray for a cancer cure, if that turns up i'll reevaluate my position.
  11. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 16:40
    Are you reading this thread, Robbie?
  12. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 19:30
    [b]Don't we all pray for that and more?

No. I don't pray.

We have also been praying for another child.

You don't get a child by praying. Seeing as how you you have a child already you don't a need a biology lesson. But i will say, stop praying, get rutting.

If we get another child I am seeing it as a gift from God

It's no ...[text shortened]... orking?! As i said, pray for a cancer cure, if that turns up i'll reevaluate my position.[/b]
    I know I have to sleep with my wife for her to get pregnant LOL - it is the obvious but it doesn't happen. We have done many things doctors, internet, books etc have said.

It is clear that you are not in my shoes and thus you can not really say that I am wrong to say that God gave me a gift. I am seeing it that way cause I asked Him first. And even if I didn't ask for something I get, I will still thank Him.

Then, regarding a cure for cancer...You will need to start re-evaluating your position because cancer can be cured and be beaten. There are thousands of cases where people were cured of cancer, also, I acknowledge thousands of cases where people died. You need to look after your body and what you feed it. You need your inspections regularly to find stuff out before it goes out of control until it becomes too late.
  13. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 19:30
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Doesn't look like Robbie was here..........................................still not.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 19:512 edits
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    yes i am, its rather interesting to say the least. Are we to attribute our friends salary increase to divine intervention? who can say? What do the scriptures indicate, with regard to material things and the Christian perspective?

(Matthew 6:31-32) . . .So never be anxious and say, ‘What are we to eat?’ or, ‘What are we to drink?’ or, ‘What are we to put on?’  For all these are the things the nations are eagerly pursuing. For your heavenly Father knows you need all these things.

an interesting distinction that Christ makes between the nations who are eagerly pursuing material wealth and those who would be following the teachings of the Christ. I am not saying for one moment that our friend is eagerly pursuing these things, the main point is that they should not cause us anxiety, for if one has faith that God is a provider and one works in harmony with his or her prayers, then one would expect that God would see to it that the necessary things are adequately taken care of, however, there is balance, for as Paul states, we are to be content with, 'sustenance and covering'.

(1 Timothy 6:6-8) . . .To be sure, it is a means of great gain, this godly devotion along with self-sufficiency.  For we have brought nothing into the world, and neither can we carry anything out.  So, having sustenance and covering, we shall be content with these things.

what can we say? wealth is relative, the Bible itself counsels us to be balanced, 'neither riches nor poverty', if it was me, id probably be praying for part time work so i could spend more time with my family, for what price shall one put on a day of life?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Jul '11 19:51
    Doesn't look like Robbie was here..........................................still not.
    Robbie was here 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree