Should there be?
    they can be the same or different depending on your approach
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 22:51
    Originally posted by duecer
    they can be the same or different depending on your approach
    What are the approaches that make it different?

What are the differences?

Should there be a difference?
  4. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 23:051 edit
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    What are the approaches that make it different?

What are the differences?

Should there be a difference?
    Belief in a deity is a difference.

As an atheist, I'm quite capable of meditating, but not capable of prayer.
  5. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 23:06
    Originally posted by Redmike
    Belief in a deity is a difference.

As an atheist, I'm quite capable of meditating, but not capable pf prayer.
    thus the approach😉
  6. weedhopper
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 23:10
    I guess I'd agree with Redmike, ToO--a prayer has and addressee; meditation as I understand it, does not.
  7. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 23:12
    What's the difference?

Should there be?
    I was told that prayer is talking to God and meditation is listening to God.
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Jul '08 15:401 edit
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    I was told that prayer is talking to God and meditation is listening to God.
    If meditation is "listening to God", isn't this the only essential part of the process?

What's is the point of "talking to God" other than the "ask/answer" process being a method of meditating?
  9. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    12 Jul '08 16:18
    If meditation is "listening to God", isn't this the only essential part of the process?

What's is the point of "talking to God" other than the "ask/answer" process being a method of meditating?
    Meditation isn't listening to a god.

It certainly isn't when I do it.
  10. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    12 Jul '08 16:34
    google Mindfulness in Plain English -- it is an interesting, funny book designed as a how-to manual on doing what is called Insight Meditation -- that is, Vipassna Meditation, which comes from the Buddhism practiced in South Asia, orignating in what used to be called Burma.

The book is available free in full.

It answers the question originally posed here.
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Jul '08 16:491 edit
    Originally posted by Redmike
    Meditation isn't listening to a god.

It certainly isn't when I do it.
    What is God?

A common answer is, "God is truth".

I don't know that it matters that one believe that there is an active agent.
  12. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    12 Jul '08 17:57

Frame of reference: Most of my religion/spirituality, or what stuck, is a combination of Catholicism and 12-Step Program, with some modern stuff (including Joyce Rupp and Edward M. Hays) and Thich Nhat Hanh. I do not have personal experience with other forms of religious expression. Half the time I stink at what I do know.

That said: http://tinyurl.com/5wadyf explains the 5 forms of prayer as I was taught them, to show that it's not all about ask/answer.

For meditation, one spiritual director said to use a mantra word (I still remember mine, although I didn't find this process very practical for me) and repeat it as you breathe in and out. This is supposed to clear your mind and thus enable you to better listen to God. I guess. It didn't work for me.
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Jul '08 20:41
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    Frame of reference: Most of my religion/spirituality, or what stuck, is a combination of Catholicism and 12-Step Program, with some modern stuff (including Joyce Rupp and Edward M. Hays) and Thich Nhat Hanh. I do not have personal experience with other forms of religious expression. Half the time I stink at what I do know.

That said: http://tinyur ...[text shortened]... lear your mind and thus enable you to better listen to God. I guess. It didn't work for me.
    "That said: http://tinyurl.com/5wadyf explains the 5 forms of prayer as I was taught them, to show that it's not all about ask/answer.

I guess with "ask/answer" I was assuming that the motivation was truth. From what I can tell, the 5 forms of prayer are largely for the "God of Gimme" and not the "God of Truth".
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    12 Jul '08 20:49
    Prayer involves training the self to be submissive and humble. It gives you something to mentally talk to, something with a very strong personality and with strong demands. Even if there is no God it seems to require a different sort of mindset. You're not quieting the mind; you're visualizing another person and then mentally interacting with that person.

That's my impression as an atheist.
  15. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    12 Jul '08 22:40
    What is God?

A common answer is, "God is truth".

I don't know that it matters that one believe that there is an active agent.
    I don't know that it matters that one believe that there is an active agent. ---ToO----------

Me thinks it definitely mattered to Jesus. His Father was defintely an active agent to him. His whole teaching is about following the will of his Father and to that end someone/ something that has a "will" is an active agent.

"I do not act on my own , but only what I see my Father doing"

Why do you continue to treat Jesus like some pick and mix rack who is just there for you to squeeze out of him what fits your philosophy/belief? When will you allow yourself to appreciate all of what he taught and stop wedging him in to your world view like an ill fitting jigsaw piece. You are a user of Jesus. You take bits of him here and there but don't see any obligation to take him as he really is.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree