1. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 08:54
    Originally posted by Jay Joos
    Well i hope you all dont have to go down the road my friend did to witness the miracle of God... if you want to shut off to the possibilities then how is God going to reach you....(i say this to all apart from whodey!)
    I don't give a rats arse how some imaginary being wants to reach me ....
  2. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 10:33
    Originally posted by amannion
    I don't give a rats arse how some imaginary being wants to reach me ....
    That is exactly what im talking about....thank you for being a prime example of how God cant reach out!!
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 10:48
    ...... God cant ....
    A bit of a contradiction with the whole "God can do anything" isn't it?
  4. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 13:08
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    A bit of a contradiction with the whole "God can do anything" isn't it?
    he can but people refuse to be helped...
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 13:45
    I suspect it's apathy mostly.
    I was happy to believe christianity. Why bother to worry about it? It didn't really have much to do with my world - that is, the day to day running of my life.
    But as I learnt more about the world - a scientific explanation for the world - I came to realise that I did need to make a decision and so I really started to think a ...[text shortened]... ho really can blame them?
    It's simpler just to believe what you're told and be done with.
    I think this post speaks volumes when you said that your faith did not have much to do with your world in your every day life. Why then would you bother with it at all? It is akin to the saying, "Use it or loose it".

As for your scientific explanations, are you saying that you felt as though you had to choose between science and your faith because you felt they contradicted each other?

As for blaming others for not thinking about these things, it is not about blame, rather, its just a shame. As Socrates once said, an unexamined life is not worth living.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 13:51
    Originally posted by doodinthemood

🙂 Thank you for admitting that evidence can never effect your view.[/b]
    What I am questioning is what effects our beliefs? What I am saying is that evidence is usually incorporated into our belief system. For example, if I were a creationist studying evolution then I would have a tendency to be able to connect the dots in terms of how God might have created the world. On the other hand, if I were an atheist I would not interpret the same evidence in the exact same way, thus, no matter the evidence presented before me I would never connect the dots, so to speak.

I then ask you, what made me choose to believe in God? What made you choose not to believe in God. We seem to both be reasonably intellegent and sane yet we both arrive at different conclusions about the same world around us. To be honest, I think this puzzles us both.
  7. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 15:31
    Originally posted by whodey
    What I am questioning is what effects our beliefs? What I am saying is that evidence is usually incorporated into our belief system. For example, if I were a creationist studying evolution then I would have a tendency to be able to connect the dots in terms of how God might have created the world. On the other hand, if I were an atheist I would not interpr ...[text shortened]... fferent conclusions about the same world around us. To be honest, I think this puzzles us both.
    It always puzzles me....sometimes i think long and hard about why i chose to believe in God....but all i can say is...it makes sense to me!
  8. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 16:39
    Well i hope you all dont have to go down the road my friend did to witness the miracle of God... if you want to shut off to the possibilities then how is God going to reach you....(i say this to all apart from whodey!)
    If you tell me the name of the doctors I can look it up for myself. I'm 100% open to the possibility of there being a God, and as soon as there's evidence for him, that's a burden, and I will believe. Your friend is clearly verifiable evidence, so if I examine the case, I will believe, and I will make sure as anything that everybody else believes.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 16:542 edits
    If you tell me the name of the doctors I can look it up for myself. I'm 100% open to the possibility of there being a God, and as soon as there's evidence for him, that's a burden, and I will believe. Your friend is clearly verifiable evidence, so if I examine the case, I will believe, and I will make sure as anything that everybody else believes.
    So what you want is a medical mind to state that "God healed them"? Good luck with that!!!

The medical field is chalked full of unexplained "healings". Just look them up for yourself. They are not hard to find. However, if you desire them to give God the credit then it is like asking a scientist, who studies the material word, to prove that an immaterial God exists.
  10. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 17:051 edit
    oh sure, misquote when you're out of argument.

I want one case where there was 100% no chance of healing, but healing happened.

This is proof of a deity.

I don't want a doctor to say on the record that god did anything, so don't change my words and argue against the version of me that you've altered.
  11. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 17:11
    oh sure, misquote when you're out of argument.

I want one case where there was 100% no chance of healing, but healing happened.

This is proof of a deity.

I don't want a doctor to say on the record that god did anything, so don't change my words and argue against the version of me that you've altered.
    I have given you a case...why do you not take my word? ...im a christian and i would never lie to you what would be the point of that... to answer your question...i am afraid i cannot remember the doctor/s name/s as it was a long time ago now. if you want i can find out the name of the hospital if that would help!
  12. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 18:20
    Take your word for it? You are aware that your friend's case, if true, is the biggest revelation to have happened in religious debates for hundreds of years? I'm not going to take your word for it. Not on a matter this big (If I said to you "shiva just appeared to me and said Hinduism is the one true religion" would you take my word for it? I hope not)

Yes, name of the hospital and name of your friend and I will dedicate the rest of my life to arguing against atheism.
  13. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 02:05
    Originally posted by whodey
    I think this post speaks volumes when you said that your faith did not have much to do with your world in your every day life. Why then would you bother with it at all? It is akin to the saying, "Use it or loose it".

As for your scientific explanations, are you saying that you felt as though you had to choose between science and your faith because you ...[text shortened]... ame, rather, its just a shame. As Socrates once said, an unexamined life is not worth living.
    No, I didn't choose.
    I didn't have any faith - that's the point of what I was saying.
    As a teenager, I didn't actually believe all the religious stuff. I just went along to church because my mum did and asked me to go and because they had wine and because some of the girls were pretty hot.
    It's only as an adult that I began to actually think about it and realised that I didn't actually believe any of it. I didn't lose my faith - it was never there to begin with.

I suspect many believers - not the ones that post here of course - are similar. They don't actually believe - it's just a convenient label they can use. Believe in god? Yeah, sure I believe. Now how about that football?
    It doesn't matter to most people.
    Their lives don't hinge on their belief.
    It's just convenient.
  14. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 02:06
    That is exactly what im talking about....thank you for being a prime example of how God cant reach out!!
    Always happy to oblige.
  15. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 08:38
    Always happy to oblige.
    But you dont...thats the point.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree