1. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 08:39
    Originally posted by doodinthemood
    Take your word for it? You are aware that your friend's case, if true, is the biggest revelation to have happened in religious debates for hundreds of years? I'm not going to take your word for it. Not on a matter this big (If I said to you "shiva just appeared to me and said Hinduism is the one true religion" would you take my word for it? I hope not) ...[text shortened]... and name of your friend and I will dedicate the rest of my life to arguing against atheism.
    Will find out and will get back to you.... you are an atheist so i would not neccesarily believe you but i would hope you would not lie...im a christian and would never lie....
  2. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 12:12
    Originally posted by Jay Joos
    But you dont...thats the point.
    No, really?
  3. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 13:05
    Originally posted by amannion
    No, really?
    But you dont...
  4. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 18:28
    Will find out and will get back to you.... you are an atheist so i would not neccesarily believe you but i would hope you would not lie...im a christian and would never lie....
    If God told you to, would you?
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '07
    Moves
    01 Dec '07 15:45
    Prayer is hilarious.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Dec '07 22:23
    No, I didn't choose.
    I didn't have any faith - that's the point of what I was saying.
    As a teenager, I didn't actually believe all the religious stuff. I just went along to church because my mum did and asked me to go and because they had wine and because some of the girls were pretty hot.
    It's only as an adult that I began to actually think about it and ...[text shortened]... ter to most people.
    Their lives don't hinge on their belief.
    It's just convenient.
    I know of many who's life did hinge upon conversion. Those I am speaking of were on a one way path to destroying themselves but God snatched them from their respective paths. I can say he has changed my life and let me tell you it has not always been "convenient". In fact, you could argue the opposite. For example, at times I go against the grain of society due to my beliefs. At times I am often the odd man out, so to speak.

I wonder if those Christians who have given their very lives for their faith consider their faith a mere "convenience"?
  7. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    02 Dec '07 06:02
    Originally posted by whodey
    I know of many who's life did hinge upon conversion. Those I am speaking of were on a one way path to destroying themselves but God snatched them from their respective paths. I can say he has changed my life and let me tell you it has not always been "convenient". In fact, you could argue the opposite. For example, at times I go against the grain of socie ...[text shortened]... who have given their very lives for their faith consider their faith a mere "convenience"?
    Of course there will be people like those you speak of - and like you - whose faith is very keen and very important. But there will be many others for whom it isn't.
    We can trade examples and counter examples until we're both blue in the face.
    The reality is that for many people, it just doesn't really matter.
    My many threads on evolution, ID and creationism for example would cause most of my friends to laugh initially and then crease their foreheads in confusion.

'Why would you care about it?' they would ask me.
    'It doesn't really matter surely,' would be their response to my reply.
    And for many it doesn't.
  8. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    03 Dec '07 08:51
    Originally posted by doodinthemood
    If God told you to, would you?
    But he never would....
  9. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    03 Dec '07 21:39
    But he never would....
    I thought you were leaving ...
  10. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    04 Dec '07 08:45
    I thought you were leaving ...
    I only come back when i find something interesting... and this is interesting....🙂
  11. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    04 Dec '07 08:46
    I only come back when i find something interesting... and this is interesting....🙂
    Fair enough.
    So what was with the big song and dance about never posting again?
  12. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    04 Dec '07 10:37
    Fair enough.
    So what was with the big song and dance about never posting again?
    I was tired of the negativity expressed by the majority of the posters on this site... i had tried to help by lightening things up but i was consistently a target for the cynics and i felt i was getting nowhere...i decided that my help was in vain and they enjoyed their misery so i decided to leave.... but then..... i thought "dont be hasty Jay Joos...stick around and observe and if something comes up that truly hits your interest button then participate".... i have also decided to leave the miserables alone!!!
  13. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    04 Dec '07 10:40
    I was tired of the negativity expressed by the majority of the posters on this site... i had tried to help by lightening things up but i was consistently a target for the cynics and i felt i was getting nowhere...i decided that my help was in vain and they enjoyed their misery so i decided to leave.... but then..... i thought "dont be hasty Jay Joos...stick ...[text shortened]... our interest button then participate".... i have also decided to leave the miserables alone!!!
    Good on you.
    You've got to realise the types that mostly post on these threads - myself included - are a bunch of self righteous know it alls, who probably don't. (I'm the obvious exception of course - I know everything!)
  14. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    04 Dec '07 13:08
    Good on you.
    You've got to realise the types that mostly post on these threads - myself included - are a bunch of self righteous know it alls, who probably don't. (I'm the obvious exception of course - I know everything!)
    LOL!!! Its interesting that the majority are like that...is it the comfort of being anonymous? who knows...
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Dec '07 13:57
    LOL!!! Its interesting that the majority are like that...is it the comfort of being anonymous? who knows...
    We are like that a lot of the time, especially when we are talking to someone who we think has no idea what they are talking about and in many cases that includes people on both sides of a discussion (ie think the other side is talking nonsense).
    However there are times when someone says something that gives me new insight or teaches me something new.
    Its not about being anonymous, I will quite happily argue against religion face to face with anyone interested and have frequently done so throughout my life.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree