1. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    01 Sep '05 10:20
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Being omniscient entails knowing all there is to know, past, present and future. He would already be aware of who is and who isn't going to hell. Since he knows this and it is all predestined, how is it a choice for us?

If you claim we have that choice, then you are also claiming god is not omniscient.
    Since he knows this and it is all predestined, how is it a choice for us?

Just because God might know about something, don't mean we didn't choose it and God didn't nudge in the right direction...
  2. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    01 Sep '05 10:22
    Is that anything to do with Calvin and Hobbes?
    I personally find Calvin and Hobbes to be the immortal giant of mirth.
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    01 Sep '05 10:26
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I'd like to hear some justification for the Calvinist viewpoint. I'd offer some myself but I can't think of any.
    my mind's a blank too.
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    01 Sep '05 10:26
    Originally posted by Halitose
    John Calvin the Reformer of Geneva (and Father of America - that being because most of the early colonists were Calvinists).
    The father of bigotry.
  5. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    01 Sep '05 10:39
    I personally find Calvin and Hobbes to be the immortal giant of mirth.
    You and me both 🙂
  6. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    01 Sep '05 10:44
    You and me both 🙂
    Spaceman Spiff saves the day!!! 😀😀😀
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    01 Sep '05 11:031 edit
    Spaceman Spiff saves the day!!!
    I wish the first Calvin had had a sense of humour like that.

Or maybe he was just a bit sick in the head:
    http://www.bible.ca/history/eubanks/history-eubanks-31.htm
  8. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    01 Sep '05 11:51
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I wish the first Calvin had had a sense of humour like that.

Or maybe he was just a bit sick in the head:
    http://www.bible.ca/history/eubanks/history-eubanks-31.htm
    He thought he was da pope
    But he really was a dope
    He shoulda been in prison
    Wearing soap ona rope.
  9. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    01 Sep '05 12:041 edit
    Hang on, if Calvin followed these:

Unconditional election. This doctrine is more commonly known as arbitrary, individual "predestination" or "foreordination." Calvin asserted that God arbitrarily elected, or chose, certain individuals to be saved before they were even born. This He did merely on the basis of "His good pleasure" - not because of anything they had done; hence, "unconditional election." This number of elect individuals is so fixed that it can be neither increased nor diminished. This doctrine (1) denies man's free will (Jn. 7:17), (2) denies man's role in his salvation (Phil. 2:12; Jas. 2:24), (3) makes God a respecter of persons (Acts 10:34,35), and (4) denies God's desire that all men be saved (I Tim. 2:4; II Pet. 3:9; Ezek. 18:23,32). God predestines the saved only in that he predestines them to meet certain conditions (Rom. 8:29; Eph. 1:4-6).

Limited atonement. Since only certain individuals were to be saved, there was no need for Christ to die for the non-elect. Hence, Calvin taught that Christ died to atone for the sins of the elect only. This is plainly contrary to what the Scriptures teach. Christ died for all men, including non-believers (I Tim. 4:10; Tit. 2:11; II Pet. 2:1; I Jn. 2:2).

Irresistible grace. According to Calvin, men are so depraved that they cannot do anything to effect their salvation. This is wholly the work of God. Man has no co-operant part in his salvation. God sends the Holy Spirit to work directly and supernaturally upon the heart of the sinner to work faith and repentance in him irresistibly. The elect, then, are literally forced to be saved. This doctrine is untrue because it (1) denies man's free will (Jn. 7:17), (2) the Holy Spirit can be resisted (Acts 7:51; I Thess. 5:19), (3) the word of God provokes men to repentance (Lk. 8:12; 16:27-31; Rom. 10:17), and (4) God employs human preachers to convert men's souls (Acts 8-10).

What is the point in believing in god at all? Am I missing something?
  10. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    01 Sep '05 13:00
    Hang on, if Calvin followed these:

[b]Unconditional election.
    This doctrine is more commonly known as arbitrary, individual "predestination" or "foreordination." Calvin asserted that God arbitrarily elected, or chose, certain individuals to be saved before they were even born. This He did merely on the basis of "His good pleasure" - not beca ...[text shortened]... souls (Acts 8-10).

What is the point in believing in god at all? Am I missing something?[/b]
    For a in depth explanation and refutation of Predestination see:

http://www.biblehelp.org/whatsel.htm
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    01 Sep '05 14:36
    For a in depth explanation and refutation of Predestination see:

http://www.biblehelp.org/whatsel.htm
    That's all greek to me.
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    01 Sep '05 18:24
    He is omniscient but not omnibenevolent. If he was omnibenevolent all murders, rapists and er... ehm.. (*Halitose takes aim and lobs boulder at hornets nest*) fornicators would be assured of a place in heaven. We get what we choose.
    Benevolent means that he wants good, right? Omnibenevolent means he wants only good, and he wants it as much as it is possible to want good? Is that correct?
  13. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    02 Sep '05 05:58
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Benevolent means that he wants good, right? Omnibenevolent means he wants only good, and he wants it as much as it is possible to want good? Is that correct?
    Yes. I guess, I can go with that definition...
  14. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '05 07:061 edit
    What is the point in believing in god at all? Am I missing something?

i don't think you are missing anything; i don't get it either. i also don't think there would be any point in witnessing to others -- what possible effect could one's spreading the word have?
  15. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    02 Sep '05 07:29
    Calvin's notions have a rigorously absurd quality that remind me of noone so much as Samuel Beckett.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree