Premeditated sin

Premeditated sin

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
21 Aug 07

This was inspired by the 'sin box' thread.

Does anyone here knowingly (premeditatively) commit acts that they believe to be sinful (and have a choice about)?
Why would you do so?
1. Do you believe you will be forgiven?
2. do you not believe that you will be punished for your sin?
3. do you believe that the benefit is worth the punishment?
4. do you not really believe you will be punished but pretend that you do believe it?
5. do you simply try not to think about it.
6. do you believe that you are 'weak' and simply cannot resist the temptation?
7. other?

m

Moves
21 Aug 07

as a non believer i commit small sins often, i do not think that a God if He exists will be anything like the classical theistic God and will judge you on your intentions not your actions, so if i dont believe in Him its not my fault, and if i sin because i think that doing it will be fun, but i do not intend harm or anything bad on anyone else i dont think He will think bad of you for that. The 'you will all be judged for everything' idea of God is made up to help control the population, i believe.

Cape Town

Moves
21 Aug 07

Originally posted by mazziewag
as a non believer i commit small sins often, i do not think that a God if He exists will be anything like the classical theistic God and will judge you on your intentions not your actions, so if i dont believe in Him its not my fault, and if i sin because i think that doing it will be fun, but i do not intend harm or anything bad on anyone else i dont thin ...[text shortened]... ll be judged for everything' idea of God is made up to help control the population, i believe.
So what is your definition of sin?

m

Moves
21 Aug 07

well, anything a classical theistic God would consider a sin.

E

Moves
21 Aug 07

Originally posted by twhitehead

Does anyone here knowingly (premeditatively) commit acts that they believe to be sinful (and have a choice about)?
Why would you do so?
4. do y ...[text shortened]... .
7. other?
7. i sin, then i decide not to worry about it til its time for me to pay 😕

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
21 Aug 07

Why would you do so?
4. do y ...[text shortened]... .
7. other?
Everyone does it.😕

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
21 Aug 07

That's a stupid question. Everybody knows what sin is.

L

Moves
21 Aug 07

Originally posted by josephw

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
21 Aug 07

http://mw1.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sin
sin
Pronunciation:
\ˈsin\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Middle English sinne, from Old English synn; akin to Old High German sunta sin and probably to Latin sont-, sons guilty, est is — more at is
Date:
before 12th century

1 a: an offense against religious or moral law b: an action that is or is felt to be highly reprehensible c: an often serious shortcoming : fault2 a: transgression of the law of God b: a vitiated state of human nature in which the self is estranged from God
synonyms see offense
From def. 1a), sin can be an offense against various religious or moral codes. The moral codes need not agree with one another.

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
22 Aug 07

I disagree! According to the RCC, in order for it to be sin, it has to be intentional. That makes the whole premise of the thread moot because if all sin is intentional isn't it therefore premeditated to some degree? And if it is intentional with the knowledge that the action is indeed a sin, that eliminates moral culpability from children who aren't old enough to have that knowledge or to form right judgment as well as removing from the "sinhood pool" those who have achieved the age of reason and yet don't have the requisite information or capacity to reason. And yet there is a thread here that says everyone is sinful, even babies and small children. So clearly it is not a stupid question because everything hinges on one's definition of sin.