1. Subscriberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Joined
    12 Oct '05
    Moves
    41971
    10 Jan '09 03:333 edits
    Are there any ideological reasons why a presbyterian couldn't attend an Anglican church ? I know the historical differences, but are there any other basic differences?
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    10 Jan '09 04:58
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    [b]Are there any ideological reasons why a presbyterian couldn't attend an Anglican church ?
    Because their not Anglican? 😛
  3. Subscriberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Joined
    12 Oct '05
    Moves
    41971
    10 Jan '09 06:391 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Because their not Anglican? 😛
    [/b]

    Wow. How do you survive in a forum full of people that can spell their (they're) own name?
  4. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Joined
    05 Mar '02
    Moves
    32455
    19 Jan '09 19:29
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    Are there any ideological reasons why a presbyterian couldn't attend an Anglican church ? I know the historical differences, but are there any other basic differences?
    Yes. They have fundamentally different theological frameworks. Presbyterians believe that everything
    is preordained by God since before the creation of time, that humankind is intrinsically depraved
    because of Original Sin, that the so-called sola scriptura mindset is the only one in which believers
    ought to take stock (which ultimately takes the form of ignoring mainstream Biblical scholarship),
    and that salvation through grace is the only thing that can redeem.

    By contrast, Anglicans believe in free will, that humankind is flawed but not fundamentally evil, that
    tradition plays a vital role in informing one's faith (which generally the form of embracing mainstream
    Biblical scholarship), and that while Christ is the instrument of salvation, the nature of that salvation
    is complicated and not fully comprehensible.

    No self-respecting Presbyterian/Anglican who is informed about his tradition could possibly worship
    at the other one's church.

    Nemesio
  5. England
    Joined
    15 Nov '03
    Moves
    33497
    23 Jan '09 15:22
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Yes. They have fundamentally different theological frameworks. Presbyterians believe that everything
    is preordained by God since before the creation of time, that humankind is intrinsically depraved
    because of Original Sin, that the so-called sola scriptura mindset is the only one in which believers
    ought to take stock (which ultimately takes the ...[text shortened]... is informed about his tradition could possibly worship
    at the other one's church.

    Nemesio
    Well im anglican and i would, and self-respected, i have worshiped in roman churchs, as i belive to worship god is to the good of my soul. Doe,s not matter were you are home, field, church etc.
  6. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Joined
    05 Mar '02
    Moves
    32455
    24 Jan '09 07:261 edit
    Originally posted by stoker
    Well im anglican and i would, and self-respected, i have worshiped in roman churchs, as i belive to worship god is to the good of my soul. Doe,s not matter were you are home, field, church etc.
    When you say 'Amen,' you are consenting to what has just been said in worship.
    As an Anglican, you reject the tenets I listed above. Central to Presbyterian
    worship is the articulation of these very traits. If you said 'Amen,' then you
    were either not paying attention or you're not an observant Anglican.

    It's one thing to attend another church tradition. It's another thing to worship
    there.

    Nemesio
  7. England
    Joined
    15 Nov '03
    Moves
    33497
    24 Jan '09 11:14
    when i say amen to any pray its to the glory of god that the pray was said not to any man or any earthly glory.
  8. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Joined
    05 Mar '02
    Moves
    32455
    25 Jan '09 02:281 edit
    Originally posted by stoker
    when i say amen to any pray its to the glory of god that the pray was said not to any man or any earthly glory.
    Like I said: You are being inattentive. I can't help that. If you think that
    saying 'Amen' to something antithetical to Anglicanism makes you a good
    Anglican, then you don't know what 'Amen' means.

    Nemesio
  9. At the Revolution
    Joined
    15 Sep '07
    Moves
    5073
    25 Jan '09 04:39
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    Are there any ideological reasons why a presbyterian couldn't attend an Anglican church ? I know the historical differences, but are there any other basic differences?
    They should both attend mosques.
  10. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    25 Jan '09 10:24
    Originally posted by scherzo
    They should both attend mosques.
    .... OR else ? ... 😀
  11. England
    Joined
    15 Nov '03
    Moves
    33497
    26 Jan '09 11:09
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Like I said: You are being inattentive. I can't help that. If you think that
    saying 'Amen' to something antithetical to Anglicanism makes you a good
    Anglican, then you don't know what 'Amen' means.

    Nemesio
    im a anglican yes but a christian if someone says something right then it does not matter from where they come from. even you if you say something true i say amen to that.
  12. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Joined
    05 Mar '02
    Moves
    32455
    26 Jan '09 22:19
    Originally posted by stoker
    im a anglican yes but a christian if someone says something right then it does not matter from where they come from. even you if you say something true i say amen to that.
    The question that initiated this thread was whether a Presbyterian could attend
    an Anglican church. I take 'attend' to mean 'actively worship.' I have no
    doubt that an atheist could come into an Anglican church and say 'Amen' when
    the priest says 'hunger is a wrong that needs righting.' But he would disagree
    with
    the vast majority of what was being said because of his ideological stance.

    Presbyterians and Anglicans have widely divergent ideological stances. Yes,
    they agree with each other more than they agree with the atheist, but as
    it pertains to the fundament of what it means to be Presbyterian, he will
    find no agreement. So why on earth would he attend a church with a
    Christian theology antithetical to his own?

    An Anglican would have very little to say 'Amen' to in a Presbyterian church,
    and an observant Presbyterian would find the adherence to tradition -- the
    use of sacraments and liturgy -- to be antithetical to Calvinist principles.

    Nemesio
  13. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    27 Jan '09 06:13
    Originally posted by stoker
    when i say amen to any pray its to the glory of god that the pray was said not to any man or any earthly glory.
    Would you go to a Mosque and say amen there too? They pray to the same God too you know.
  14. Subscriberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Joined
    12 Oct '05
    Moves
    41971
    28 Jan '09 10:08
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Yes. They have fundamentally different theological frameworks. Presbyterians believe that everything
    is preordained by God since before the creation of time, that humankind is intrinsically depraved
    because of Original Sin, that the so-called sola scriptura mindset is the only one in which believers
    ought to take stock (which ultimately takes the ...[text shortened]... is informed about his tradition could possibly worship
    at the other one's church.

    Nemesio
    Thank you. I've found a Presbyterian church here, so it's not an issue anymore.
  15. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    28 Jan '09 12:24
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    Thank you. I've found a Presbyterian church here, so it's not an issue anymore.
    Of course in light of Nemesio's comments and your original question I think you should seriously look into your own faith and identify what it is. If you were not fully aware of the differences between presbyterians and Anglicans then is is probable that you do not actually know or agree with many of the things that you say "Amen" to in the presbyterian Church.
Back to Top