1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '14 14:53
    Perhaps I missed something but ... when can we see the proof of the supernatural as you promised?
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Jun '14 23:23
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Perhaps I missed something but ... when can we see the proof of the supernatural as you promised?
    I already gave you proof of the supernatural as I see it. If you have a different definition, that's not my problem.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Jun '14 04:33
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I already gave you proof of the supernatural as I see it. If you have a different definition, that's not my problem.
    You gave a bunch of videos. But did you gave the proof?

I'm still waiting for the proof. If I've missed it, please repeat it.
  4. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    17 Jun '14 04:37
    The Great Day of the Lord will be here soon enough. You won't be asking that question again.
  5. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    17 Jun '14 04:57
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    No, it would not be supernatural. It would be unusual. Your choice to attribute it to the supernatural either is arbitrary or based on religious reasons - but not on a particular feature of the phenomena in question. There is nothing about the act that you can point to that marks it as supernatural without pointing to claims by someone that it was superna ...[text shortened]... en the first computer would be supernatural, as would the first car, and just about every first.
    Really ?? when is the last time you or I for that matter seen anyone walk on water? It would supersede natural because it is not natural for humans to be able to walk on water therefore I conclude that it is indeed supernatural or whatever label you want to assign to it but it would not be normal

Manny
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Jun '14 05:36
    Originally posted by Pudgenik
    The Great Day of the Lord will be here soon enough. You won't be asking that question again.
    This day has been 'soon' for two thousands of years. Do you mean that it is sooner now? Or do we have to wait another two thousands of years?
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Jun '14 05:501 edit
    Originally posted by menace71
    Really ?? when is the last time you or I for that matter seen anyone walk on water? It would supersede natural because it is not natural for humans to be able to walk on water therefore I conclude that it is indeed supernatural or whatever label you want to assign to it but it would not be normal
    When is the last time you saw someone run 100m in under 10 seconds? The first time you see someone do that, it is clearly not normal. It is not, however, supernatural. Being not normal is not the same thing as being supernatural.

If you want to use the word 'supernatural' to mean 'unusual' then go ahead, but that would be of no relevance to this thread as a very different meaning is clearly intended in the thread title. After all, one could simply post a link to the world weight lifting champion and say: 'see, he has supernatural strength!'.
  8. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    17 Jun '14 05:56
    When is the last time you saw someone run 100m in under 10 seconds? The first time you see someone do that, it is clearly not normal. It is not, however, supernatural. Being not normal is not the same thing as being supernatural.
    Defies nature then .......physical laws ect..................

Manny
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Jun '14 06:081 edit
    Defies nature then .......physical laws ect..................

Manny
    In what way does it defy nature?
    It cannot possibly defy physical laws, because physical laws cannot be defied by definition.
    The thing is, you do not know how it is done, so how can you claim to know that it defies anything? A claim of supernatural is to claim to know how it is done, then claim that how it is done has some property that 'defies nature' that you do not want to discuss with anyone. A claim of 'supernatural' is incoherent.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Jun '14 06:30
    It cannot possibly defy physical laws, because physical laws cannot be defied by definition.
    The thing is, you do not know how it is done, so how can you claim to know that it defies anything? A claim of supernatural is to claim to know how it is done, then claim that how it is done has some property that 'defies nature' that you do not want to discuss with anyone. A claim of 'supernatural' is incoherent.
    You must have missed reading the definition of supernatual that I posted. I will repeat it below:

su·per·nat·u·ral

adjective

1. of, pertaining to, or being above or beyond what is natural; unexplainable by natural law or phenomena; abnormal.

2. of, pertaining to, characteristic of, or attributed to God or a deity.

3. of a superlative degree; preternatural: a missile of supernatural speed.

4. of, pertaining to, or attributed to ghosts, goblins, or other unearthly beings; eerie; occult.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/supernatural
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Jun '14 06:33
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    You must have missed reading the definition of supernatual that I posted. I will repeat it below:

su·per·nat·u·ral

adjective

1. of, pertaining to, or being above or beyond what is natural; unexplainable by natural law or phenomena; abnormal.

2. of, pertaining to, characteristic of, or attributed to God or a deity.

3. of a superlative degr ...[text shortened]... r other unearthly beings; eerie; occult.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/supernatural
    You really have to follow the debate. We all know this definition. What we are debating is if this definition is correct and/or adequate. You really have to follow the debate.
  12. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    17 Jun '14 06:34
    It defies the laws of nature at minimum walking on water (not frozen) as you know this is not normal call it what you will then if not supernatural then whatever !!

Manny
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Jun '14 07:48
    It defies the laws of nature at minimum walking on water (not frozen) as you know this is not normal call it what you will then if not supernatural then whatever !!

Manny
    Let's take 'walking on water' (not frozen) as an example.

If anyone can do this, and doesn't use any kind of technology, then this is supernatural.

I say noone can do this. It is impossible to walk on water. Prove me wrong.

RJHinds might show us YouTube to prove that it in fact is possible, and an spiritual act.

... or he might try YouTube but this would only show that his level of proof is low.

Remember no kind of technology is permitted if the proof is to be valid.
    I say it is not possible. I say supernatural phenomena don't exist. It's impossible.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Jun '14 08:36

Manny
    Not normal, yes, I agree. But it cannot possibly defy the laws of nature. The laws of nature are those laws that are never, ever, ever, ever defied. If you claim they are defied then you are being incoherent.

The truth is, you do not know how it is done, but you want to claim that you do in fact know, in enough detail to know that it does not follow 'the laws of nature'. But how do you know this? How do you know:
    1. What the laws of nature actually are.
    2. How walking on water is done, sufficiently well as to know that it is defying the laws of nature in 1.

I think if you examine the claim in detail you will discover a contradiction.
    When you answer 1. you will say that you observe that certain things always happen in a certain way, with certain rules (laws) never being violated.
    When you answer 2. you will claim to have observed something that does not happen according to the 'laws of nature', or the rules in 1.
    But 1. clearly states that you have never observed violations of the laws which contradicts your claim that you have observed such violations.
  15. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    17 Jun '14 12:33
    This day has been 'soon' for two thousands of years. Do you mean that it is sooner now? Or do we have to wait another two thousands of years?
    It will take place within our lifetime

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree