1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    26 Sep '13 08:22
    I'm interested in hearing who all y'all favourite prophets are and why. Bible prophets and any other prophets. What make you enjoy these prophets?

I am currently enjoying Ezekiel. Harold Bloom classes him as one of the greatest poets of all time. Well, he still sounds good in the Revised Standard edition, although I daresay much is lost. One day I'll get the Buber-Rosenzweig Schrifte and see how he reads in Hebraic German ... I don't see myself delving into ancient Hebrew. Anyhow: apart from the voice, there's the imagery. Trying to imagine what the Four Living Creatures looked like, not to mention the Wheel, has exercised my mind no end! It is no surprise that they also exercised the creative mind of William Blake. For that I am grateful to Ezekiel.
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    26 Sep '13 09:01
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I'm interested in hearing who all y'all favourite prophets are and why. Bible prophets and any other prophets. What make you enjoy these prophets?

I am currently enjoying Ezekiel. Harold Bloom classes him as one of the greatest poets of all time. Well, he still sounds good in the Revised Standard edition, although I daresay much is lost. One day I'l ...[text shortened]... that they also exercised the creative mind of William Blake. For that I am grateful to Ezekiel.
    You need to get out more!
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    26 Sep '13 09:49
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    You need to get out more!
    Don't worry about me, my son. My interests are not confined to reading Ezekiel.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Sep '13 10:32

I am currently enjoying Ezekiel. Harold Bloom classes him as one of the greatest poets of all time. Well, he still sounds good in the Revised Standard edition, although I daresay much is lost. One day I'l ...[text shortened]... that they also exercised the creative mind of William Blake. For that I am grateful to Ezekiel.
    Yes Gods celestial chariot, very interesting indeed. I like Jeremiah, he was so aware of his own limitations and sent to a people that would not listen, for twenty years he delivered an unpopular message but was eventually vindicated when indeed, the Jews were exiled.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Sep '13 10:33

Daniel is one of my favourite. It has some interesting stuff about the last days. Many tie it in with Revelation. There is another prophet that makes interesting reading although it is not in the KJV but considered by some to be inspired writings ie the Book of Enoch.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Sep '13 10:34
    Don't worry about me, my son. My interests are not confined to reading Ezekiel.
    Nice answer for atheists who often try to derail this type of topic.
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    26 Sep '13 10:58
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Nice answer for atheists who often try to derail this type of topic.
    Prophets have much to offer atheists as well.

As examples of non Biblical prophets I would offer some of my favourites: William Blake, J.G. Ballard, Etienne Leroux.

Jean Baudrillard could possibly be included in this list.
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    26 Sep '13 12:06
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Yes Gods celestial chariot, very interesting indeed. I like Jeremiah, he was so aware of his own limitations and sent to a people that would not listen, for twenty years he delivered an unpopular message but was eventually vindicated when indeed, the Jews were exiled.
    Do you like him only because he was proven correct or for other reasons?
  9. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    26 Sep '13 12:092 edits
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Daniel is one of my favourite. It has some interesting stuff about the last days. Many tie it in with Revelation. There is another prophet that makes interesting reading although it is not in the KJV but considered by some to be inspired writings ie the Book of Enoch.
    Daniel's good. I like the historical set-up. Which parts in particular interest you?

I've never read the Apocrypha properly.

Of course the prophet of Patmos gets kudos for the weirdest, grimmest prophecies. Jung, in Answer to Job, had some interesting things to say about why he was so grim; I'll see if I can dig it up.

I'm not if Jung - and Freud - count as prophets or not.
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Sep '13 12:44
    Daniel's good. I like the historical set-up. Which parts in particular interest you?

I've never read the Apocrypha properly.

Of course the prophet of Patmos gets kudos for the weirdest, grimmest prophecies. Jung, in Answer to Job, had some interesting things to say about why he was so grim; I'll see if I can dig it up.

I'm not if Jung - and Freud - count as prophets or not.
    In particular I like the 'seventy weeks' prophecy in Daniel. It appears to match Revelation and also the the prophecies in Book of Enoch.

I think the Book of Enoch is considered pseudepigrapha and not aprcrypha as it was not included in the Greek Septuagint. As you mention Apocryha, that contains a book called the Book of Sirach. It is similar to Proberbs and and contains some interesting writings about life in general which you would not really expect from a Biblical book.

If I had to guess John was grim becuase what he saw was mostly destruction and death and bad news for mankind.

Not having a literary background I wont know all those authors you cited. From an economics and accounting background I can suggest that Adam Smith did some pretty good foretelling of the state of economic systems whereas Karl Marx and F Engels, although brilliant individuals failed miserably in the claim that capitalism would destroy itself. Quite the opposite happened ..
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Sep '13 12:473 edits
    Do you like him only because he was proven correct or for other reasons?
    I like him because he was aware of his limitations, but despite those limitations, God proved to him, that he could overcome even himself 🙂 Hes an awesome character and well worth studying. Imagine, all the nobles and princes are saying, there will be peace and you contradict them to their faces and say, no there will not be peace, you will all be taken captive by the Babylonians because of your iniquity. Ouch! No wonder they threw him into a miry cistern
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    26 Sep '13 14:59

I vote for James Strang, the King of Beaver Island.

A convert to Mormonism, he claimed to be the rightful successor to Joseph Smith when he died in 1844. Most Mormons followed Brigham Young out west, but a faction accepted Strang as their spiritual leader. Fearing persecution, Strang eventually led his flock to Beaver Island, in Lake Michigan, in 1848 (the heyday of utopian community building). There Strang claimed prophetic status, translated more angelic tablets, and had himself crowned King of Beaver Island in 1850. An astute politician, he also served two terms in the Michigan House of Representatives, in 1853 and 1855.

Eventually, though, his enemies had had enough and in 1856 they gunned him down in the streets of St. James (the only notable city on the island, which still bears his name). Without their fearless leader, the Strangite faction was soon kicked off their land and dispersed.
  13. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 11:11
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I vote for James Strang, the King of Beaver Island.
    Truly, he lived and died like a king.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 16:301 edit
    I am currently enjoying Ezekiel.

Good. I've been thinking about opening a thread on the vision of Ezekiel for awhile. Maybe you'd be interested.
  15. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 18:43
    Originally posted by sonship
    I am currently enjoying Ezekiel.

Good. I've been thinking about opening a thread on the vision of Ezekiel for awhile. Maybe you'd be interested.
    I would. I'd also be interested if you contributed to this thread. Perhaps you could outline your approach to prophecy (what is it? how do you recognise it?) and mention a few examples.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree