1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    20 May '06 23:231 edit
    According to the most recent issue of Time magazine, some Catholics in India plan to protest the Da Vinci Code movie if their government does not ban the movie. Their protest will take the form of fasting, starving to death if necessary, until the movie is banned.

In the eyes of the Catholic God, if somebody wilfully starves himself to death, does he die in a state of mortal sin and spend an eternity burning in hell?

If not, what distinguishes this sort of suicide from other sorts with respect to its sinfulness?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 May '06 23:47
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    According to the most recent issue of Time magazine, some Catholics in India plan to protest the Da Vinci Code movie if their government does not ban the movie. Their protest will take the form of fasting, starving to death if necessary, until the movie is banned.

In the eyes of the Catholic God, if somebody wilfully starves himself to death, doe ...[text shortened]... If not, what distinguishes this sort of suicide from other sorts with respect to its sinfulness?
    I don't believe the Catholic church has such a stance on suicide anyway. Suicide is usually understood as an unwilled act; the culmination of a serious derangement. And the Catholic church generally doesn't have the opinion that people burn in hell for the rest of eternity. The consensus is that people can be saved through metanoia given through Jesus' salvation. If it did have such an opnion, it would be in grave concern for half its priests. 😲
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 May '06 23:582 edits

In the eyes of the Catholic God, if somebody wilfully starves himself to death, doe ...[text shortened]... If not, what distinguishes this sort of suicide from other sorts with respect to its sinfulness?
    I think they are given the choice of either hell or answering questions like this on RHP. All I can say is that I have yet to talk to one on RHP.
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    21 May '06 02:02

Talk about new lines of hyperbole for mothers to use against their children:

"Don't you know there are millions of poor people in India, starving to death just to stop a second-rate book-based movie? Eat your damn peas, Sally!"
  5. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    21 May '06 02:08

Thread 43458
  6. London
    Moves
    22 May '06 13:32

Double effect.
  7. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    22 May '06 14:43

This reminds me of a discussion where no1marauderogatory defended that jumping out of the twin towers was a suicide.

Here the line is finer still, but the purpose of their deaths by starvation is not to end their lives, but to achieve a cause. If the cause is obtained, they will not proceed with starvation. I'm not sure this would be a suicide, more of a martyrdom type of action.

(note, I'm not condoning martyrdom)
  8. London
    Moves
    22 May '06 16:18
    Originally posted by Palynka
    This reminds me of a discussion where no1marauderogatory defended that jumping out of the twin towers was a suicide.

Here the line is finer still, but the purpose of their deaths by starvation is not to end their lives, but to achieve a cause. If the cause is obtained, they will not proceed with starvation. I'm not sure this would be a suicide, more of a martyrdom type of action.
    'Swatisaid.
  9. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    22 May '06 16:33
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    'Swatisaid.
    Can you point to some "achievement of cause" clauses in the Bible that indicate that sin is sometimes an acceptable means to an end?
  10. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    22 May '06 20:46

(note, I'm not condoning martyrdom)
    Yes.

In that conversation NO ONE was able to provide a coherent
    definition of suicide.

Do you care to provide one, or do you just wish to chastise #1 for
    exploring uncomfortable territory?

Nemesio
  11. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    22 May '06 20:51
    ...the purpose of their deaths by starvation is not to end their lives, but to achieve a cause.
    What happened to the "we do not bargain with terrorists"? These people are seeking to impose their will on the rest of us by force. Let em die.
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    22 May '06 20:551 edit
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Yes.

In that conversation NO ONE was able to provide a coherent
    definition of suicide.

Do you care to provide one, or do you just wish to chastise #1 for
    exploring uncomfortable territory?

Nemesio
    I've already made my points in this thread. You're free to comment on them.

And I didn't know there were style points given for 'exploring uncomfortable territory'.
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    22 May '06 20:57
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    What happened to the "we do not bargain with terrorists"? These people are seeking to impose their will on the rest of us by force. Let em die.
    Force? Now there's a laugh.
  14. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    22 May '06 22:231 edit
    Why? People make 'statements' when there are no defensible statements to be made or when they are to lazy to make them. This post is an example.
  15. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    22 May '06 23:131 edit
    Irrespective, I don't see why others should decide that the film should not be allowed to be shown. This is simply one sector of society trying to impose their skewed view of reality on everyone else. Sod that! Let them die.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree