1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Oct '15 07:23
    Originally posted by Captain Strange
    All religions have a version of hell.
    They usually have a trinity as well God,mother son.
    That goes back to ancient Egypt and Horace.
    Horace? lol...

Who was this Horace? And did he have permission from his mum to publish this idea?

I presume you meant Horus.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Oct '15 07:31
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Is hell actually mentioned in the bible?
    Well, let's see.

Hell is mentioned in Deuteronomy, 2 Samuel, Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Isaiah, Ezekiel, Amos, Jonah, Habakkuk, Matthew, Mark, Luke, Acts, James, 2 Peter, and Revelation.
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    13 Oct '15 10:57
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Well, let's see.

Hell is mentioned in Deuteronomy, 2 Samuel, Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Isaiah, Ezekiel, Amos, Jonah, Habakkuk, Matthew, Mark, Luke, Acts, James, 2 Peter, and Revelation.
    Okay; but apart from Deuteronomy, 2 Samuel, Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Isaiah, Ezekiel, Amos, Jonah, Habakkuk, Matthew, Mark, Luke, Acts, James, 2 Peter, and Revelation,......where is hell mentioned in the bible?
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    13 Oct '15 12:41
    Well, let's see.

Do they use the word "Hell" or some other phrase like "the Pit"? My reason for asking is that Hell was Loki's daughter in Germanic mythology and it's pretty unlikely the Bible writers would have been using that word. They would have heard of Hades from the Greeks, but not Hell.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Oct '15 12:481 edit
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Do they use the word "Hell" or some other phrase like "the Pit"? My reason for asking is that Hell was Loki's daughter in Germanic mythology and it's pretty unlikely the Bible writers would have been using that word. They would have heard of Hades from the Greeks, but not Hell.
    Isn't that just semantics? They understand the meaning of hell regardless of the nomenclature. A place where humans who are 'bad' go to be punished after they die.

Just think about that. We live in a universe with trillions of stars, billions of galaxies and there have to be civilizations other than human in all that so here we have this place of punishment just for humans. Right. It could happen. Sure, and I have a GREAT bridge for sale....

Maybe then, there are thousands of separate hell places, one for each species. At least that would be fair🙂
  6. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    13 Oct '15 18:38
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Isn't that just semantics? They understand the meaning of hell regardless of the nomenclature. A place where humans who are 'bad' go to be punished after they die.

Just think about that. We live in a universe with trillions of stars, billions of galaxies and there have to be civilizations other than human in all that so here we have this place of punishm ...[text shortened]... there are thousands of separate hell places, one for each species. At least that would be fair🙂
    If aliens are around they wont be fallen creatures like man.

At least that will be the answer from the born again devil dodgers.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Oct '15 18:43
    Originally posted by Captain Strange
    If aliens are around they wont be fallen creatures like man.

At least that will be the answer from the born again devil dodgers.
    So aliens are superior BECAUSE they are aliens? I bet there are thousands of civilizations out there in the universe that offed themselves in warfare with worse weapons than even we have now, planet busters and such, star nova guns....
  8. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    13 Oct '15 18:49
    So aliens are superior BECAUSE they are aliens? I bet there are thousands of civilizations out there in the universe that offed themselves in warfare with worse weapons than even we have now, planet busters and such, star nova guns....
    Yes I am sure that is true but our priests popes cardinals etc. will have to make new stuff up.
    Our old stuff will not work on them.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    14 Oct '15 05:222 edits
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Is hell actually mentioned in the bible?
    No, the Bible has Gehenna the firepit, Sheol and Hades.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    14 Oct '15 05:23
    Well, let's see.

Only in English translations because Hel is a Germanic word.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    14 Oct '15 05:241 edit
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Exactly. They talked about Hades, Sheol and Gehenna.
  12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    14 Oct '15 17:10

Just think about that. We live in a universe with trillions of stars, billions of galaxies and there have to be civilizations other than human in all that so here we have this place of punishm ...[text shortened]... there are thousands of separate hell places, one for each species. At least that would be fair🙂
    The naming matters. Each different name conveyed a different conception of the afterlife for people not getting into the Elysian Fields. In the Germanic Pagan conception the place itself wasn't that bad, only Nifhel was bad, which was the lowest level reserved for murders, philanderers, and oath-breakers. So those who didn't get into heaven didn't have an eternity of suffering to look forward to just for not being quite good enough. The Christian conception of Hell is a much worse place and you either get paradise or eternal torment, it's quite dualist. I'm wondering if the conception of Hell the Bible writers had is different from the conception of Hell in Dante, for example, and if that is detectable by the language they were using.
  13. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    16 Oct '15 02:10
    To sonhouse:
    So hell does exist, at least in Idaho, U.S.A. and in any place in the world where a grave is dug.
    There's your proof.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree