1. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Mar '13 19:12
    I came across this today:
    YouTube
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Randi

He offers a million dollars to anyone who can prove the existence of anything paranormal or supernatural. Any takers?
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Mar '13 09:43
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0Z7KeNCi7g

He offers a million dollars to anyone who can prove the existence of anything paranormal or supernatural. Any takers?
    Chunk Change for Jimmy.
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    06 Mar '13 11:57
    Read the Challenge rules. They won't accept religious or spiritual claims because they say that they are untestable. That money's been on offer since 1964.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Mar '13 12:25
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    They won't accept religious or spiritual claims because they say that they are untestable.
    Anything that is genuinely untestable, effectively does not exist. The whole concept of the supernatural is illogical.
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    06 Mar '13 13:11
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0Z7KeNCi7g

doesn't anything proven to be real ceases to be supernatural or paranormal? or he has a very specific list of things to prove?
  6. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    06 Mar '13 16:01
    Read the Challenge rules. They won't accept religious or spiritual claims because they say that they are untestable. That money's been on offer since 1964.
    Yes, they have to have a way of verifying the claim.

They always have the person making the supernatural claim agree with the test they design. I think that's fair.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Mar '13 16:38
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    doesn't anything proven to be real ceases to be supernatural or paranormal? or he has a very specific list of things to prove?
    Yes, that basically highlights the fact that a claim that something supernatural is real is self contradictory.
    However, this doesn't rule out the possibility that some things we label supernatural or paranormal are in fact real and natural. So for example, if it is possible to speak with the dead as some people claim, then that should be testable and if proven to happen would be a real, natural phenomena - and, I think, they would win the million dollars, and probably the Nobel prize too!
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    06 Mar '13 22:21
    genuine "spiritualists",(witches, shamans,buddhas,etc.), have no interest in dirty money. The genuine ones dont come to your door offering bible lessons.
    And even if you do find one , they can easily lose you at anytime if they desire.

the op is totally against the spirit of the overall message of genuine spiritual people.
    i think that million would be better spent on something else
  9. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    06 Mar '13 22:39
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    genuine "spiritualists",(witches, shamans,buddhas,etc.), have no interest in dirty money. The genuine ones dont come to your door offering bible lessons.
    And even if you do find one , they can easily lose you at anytime if they desire.

the op is totally against the spirit of the overall message of genuine spiritual people.
    I reject 'the supernatural', 'the spiritual'.

Better breathing breaks barriers, bro. (Belligerent? Better behave ...)
  10. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    07 Mar '13 04:351 edit
    Read the Challenge rules. They won't accept religious or spiritual claims because they say that they are untestable.
    What if a believer prayed that her deity would cause a chair to levitate off the floor for a full minute?

The prize money could be donated by the winner to missionary work, or could go toward the construction of a new church building, so it's not like the deity would have a spiritual excuse to refuse the request.

As a side note, I used to carpool to work with a Christian who would sometimes get on the topic of theology. More than once the fellow told me, "God will never do anything to prove His existence. He wants us to believe in him as a matter of pure faith." He would likely tell me that this is why a Christian would fail to get the chair to levitate.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Mar '13 04:55
    Originally posted by karoly aczel

The guy in the op is specifically targeting people who charge for services such as communicating with the dead.
    I wonder though why you think his money is dirty, and why you think a genuine spiritualist would be uninterested in it.
  12. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    07 Mar '13 12:22
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
    What if a believer prayed that her deity would cause a chair to levitate off the floor for a full minute?

The prize money could be donated by the winner to missionary work, or could go toward the construction of a new church building, so it's not like the deity would have a spiritual excuse to refuse the request.

As a side note, I used to carpool ...[text shortened]... He would likely tell me that this is why a Christian would fail to get the chair to levitate.
    The difficulty with that though is that it effectively mean that God is unable to act at all. Otherwise we would be able to look back at death rates etc and find that there was a set of people (belonging to a particular religion, say) who were more healthy/profitable/longer lived/more law abiding/... than people outside the set.

The JREF million dollar prize is aimed more at people who claim to make their money though things like:
    - Speaking to the dead
    - Telepathy & telekinesis
    - Fortune telling
    - Water divining
    - Alternative healing methods
    - and other such stuff.

--- Penguin
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    09 Mar '13 08:29
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I reject 'the supernatural', 'the spiritual'.

Better breathing breaks barriers, bro. (Belligerent? Better behave ...)
    My linguistic skills are terrible these days ...
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    09 Mar '13 08:32
    The guy in the op is specifically targeting people who charge for services such as communicating with the dead.
    I wonder though why you think his money is dirty, and why you think a genuine spiritualist would be uninterested in it.
    It's "unspiritual"-that's why a genuine one would be uninterested....prolly wouldn't come across the ad in the first place.

Those that offer their bogus services should be exposed .

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree