1. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    12 Feb '11 21:341 edit
    Can someone explain this proverb to me:
    A righteous [man] regardeth the life of his beast: but the tender mercies of the wicked [are] cruel.

http://www.letgodbetrue.com/proverbs/12_10.htm
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Feb '11 22:20
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    A righteous [man] regardeth the life of his beast: but the tender mercies of the wicked [are] cruel.

Isn't it obvious? Perhpas I'm missing something...
  3. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Feb '11 00:22

This verse means the following.....

A spiritually righteous man, is rightly situated in all things for his path is one of truth.

He is pointed the right way.

His intentions are based in truth and correctness.

His heart is not divided.

But for the wicked or (self seeker).....his intentions are based in self gain at the expense of others.

His heart is divided for loyalty to many masters.

His path is one of deceit.

So if you put all this together it will mean.....

Even if the wicked is seen to do something of a charitable nature, it is understood that the motivation is one of deceit.

And for the spiritually righteous, even if he is seen to do something questionable, because he is rightly situated he is above reprisal.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Feb '11 12:391 edit

Drawing upon the agricultural way of life, Solomon teaches two lessons in goodness.

“The righteous one is caring for the soul of his domestic animal,” he says, “but the mercies of the wicked ones are cruel.” (Proverbs 12:10)

The righteous man treats his animals with kindness. He knows their needs and has concern for their welfare. A wicked person may say that he is concerned about animals, but he is not stirred by their needs. His motives are selfish, and his treatment of animals is based on the profit that he might make from them. What such a person considers adequate care for animals might actually be cruel treatment.

The principle of kind treatment of animals applies to the care of pets as well. How cruel it would be to take in animals as pets and then cause them needless suffering by neglecting or mistreating them! In the case of an animal that is suffering greatly from serious disease or injury, kindness may call for ending its life.

interestingly,

The Septuagint Version renders the latter part of this proverb: “The bowels of the ungodly are unmerciful.” The “bowels” as representing the deepest emotions of sympathy and compassion are, in the wicked one, unfeeling, cruel. He exhibits what might be termed a “compassionless compassion” such as is often seen among humans in gestures and speech that lack true feeling or actual results. The best of the wicked person’s compassion or mercy is actually a cruelty, based on selfish motives or principles. As an example, we have seen wicked dictators who destroy their best friends and supporters, sacrificing them, as it were, to hold on to or increase their own power.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Feb '11 14:03
    Originally posted by vishvahetu
    This verse means the following.....

A spiritually righteous man, is rightly situated in all things for his path is one of truth.

He is pointed the right way.

His intentions are based in truth and correctness.

His heart is not divided.

But for the wicked or (self seeker).....his intentions are based in self gain at the expense of others.

...[text shortened]... if he is seen to do something questionable, because he is rightly situated he is above reprisal.
    I thought you claim the Bible is false, written by old church men to keep the common man down?

Ohhh, right... I guess that's only the parts you disagree with...
  6. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    13 Feb '11 14:33
    Well, Arby, it's simple, really...

If a righteous, god-fearing man is good to his animals, then it is good....but even if a wicked, godless heathen does good things for his livestock, they still terrible, for he is godless, heathen and therefore terrible.

I'm sure you agree.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Feb '11 15:001 edit
    Originally posted by David C
    Well, Arby, it's simple, really...

If a righteous, god-fearing man is good to his animals, then it is good....but even if a wicked, godless heathen does good things for his livestock, they still terrible, for he is godless, heathen and therefore terrible.

I'm sure you agree.
    1. Heathens are not Godless
    2. Many persons prior to becoming Christians were heathens, some even atheists
    3. This type of, 'if they are heathens then they are terrible', has no place within Christianity, for Christ always looked for the potential within a person, not what they were!
  8. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    13 Feb '11 15:12
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    1. Heathens are not Godless
    2. Many persons prior to becoming Christians were pantheists, some even Atheists
    3. This type of, 'if they are heathens then they are terrible', has no place within Christianity, for Christ always looked for the potential within a person, not what they were!
    Typical reply of a Godless Heathen. Enjoy your one-way ticket to the Eternal Fires of Hell.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Feb '11 15:16

It says righteous people are compassionate.

It is saying that the righteous man even stoops so low as to show regard for the lives of his animals, whereas a wicked mans most tender mercies (ie when he is being most kind) are still a cruelty (and this is not referring to animals but when he is at his most merciful to fellow humans).

It is not about kindness or cruelty to animals, but merely uses that as an example of the hight of compassion a person can have. The writer probably did not have a very high regard for animals.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Feb '11 15:261 edit
    Typical reply of a Godless Heathen. Enjoy your one-way ticket to the Eternal Fires of Hell.
    Thanks Jesus for your kind compassion, ill look forward to going to hell, do i get in as an individual or can i buy a family ticket?

This kind of vindictive attitude has no place amongst Christians, for we are counselled,

(1 Peter 3:8-9) . . .Finally, all of you be like-minded, showing fellow feeling, having brotherly affection, tenderly compassionate, humble in mind,  not paying back injury for injury or reviling for reviling, but, to the contrary, bestowing a blessing, because you were called to this course, so that you might inherit a blessing.

Peters admonition to Christians i believe. You do have a Bible I hope. You may wish to open its pages and have a read sometime.

Now, which heathens are without God, you have made the statement, which ones are without God, if you cannot nor will not answer then your statement is either grossly inaccurate or a downright lie, so which is it? which heathens are without God?
  11. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    13 Feb '11 18:04
    This kind of vindictive attitude has no place amongst Christians
    The Lord, Your God thinks otherwise.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Feb '11 01:351 edit
    The Lord, Your God thinks otherwise.
    oh really,

(2 Peter 3:9) . . .but he is patient with you because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.

you were ummm pontificating from your throne of self righteousness. . . . . .
  13. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    14 Feb '11 02:38
    oh really
    Really. Why would I care about some anonymously scribed epistle by some hack and added to the bible as an afterthought?

Exo 20:5 "for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me"
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Feb '11 02:48
    Drawing upon the agricultural way of life, Solomon teaches two lessons in goodness.

“The righteous one is caring for the soul of his domestic animal,” he says, “but the mercies of the wicked ones are cruel.” (Proverbs 12:10)

The righteous man treats his animals with kindness. He knows their needs and has concern for their welfare. A wicked pe ...[text shortened]... friends and supporters, sacrificing them, as it were, to hold on to or increase their own power.
    Right on robbie.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Feb '11 03:002 edits
    Really. Why would I care about some anonymously scribed epistle by some hack and added to the bible as an afterthought?

Exo 20:5 "for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me"
    your right, why would you care about what is written in scripture, it does after all only contain the teachings of Jesus, that is, Christian teaching, for Christians, you know, Jesus, the Christ, from Nazareth, the Messiah etc etc, remember him. Never the less to date, you have failed, to state,

1.Which heathens do not have a God
    2.Why you condemn others on the basis of Christianity when God himself is clearly compassionate and patient
    3. Why your so self righteous
    4. Why you dont know anything about Scripture nor care
    5. Why you should call yourself a Christian when clearly you are nothing of the sort

please you dont need to answer any of them, ive had enough already, cya

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree