1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 May '10 16:34
    The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.”

Notably the psalmist does not say: "The fool says in his heart, “Jehovah is not God.” And also centers the premise on the "heart".

Is this a direct warning against the dangers of stubborn atheism, or just an attack on the contemporary unenlightened?
  2. Standard memberua41
    Sharp Edge
    Dulling my blade
    Moves
    31 May '10 18:32
    In the bible passages, essentially any reference to God is the Jehovah god.
    It is simply a note to those that denounce their God, and not a deity in general, so not necessarily about atheism.

There is strong emphasis in the old testament against other "false" gods, and a strong promotion of their own.
  3. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    31 May '10 18:43
    Originally posted by divegeester
    The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.”

Notably the psalmist does not say: "The fool says in his heart, “Jehovah is not God.” And also centers the premise on the "heart".

Is this a direct warning against the dangers of stubborn atheism, or just an attack on the contemporary unenlightened?
    Well according to the Bible there is only 1 true "Almighty God", Jehovah. Others are of course refered to as Gods, even Satan, but only from man's viewpoint, not Jehovah's. He says: "There are no other Gods besides me".
    Jesus is refered to as "A God" because of the honor and glory given to him by his Father Jehovah but he is never called the "Almighty God".
  4. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    31 May '10 20:23
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Well according to the Bible there is only 1 true "Almighty God", Jehovah. Others are of course refered to as Gods, even Satan, but only from man's viewpoint, not Jehovah's. He says: "There are no other Gods besides me".
    Jesus is refered to as "A God" because of the honor and glory given to him by his Father Jehovah but he is never called the "Almighty God".
    Well Jehovah would say that. I wouldn't mind betting the other gods were pretty scathing about Jehovah too.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    31 May '10 20:28
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Well Jehovah would say that. I wouldn't mind betting the other gods were pretty scathing about Jehovah too.
    Didn't the Romans call Christianity blasphemy?
  6. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    01 Jun '10 01:58
    IF there were other Gods, I'm sure they'd be in awe of Jehovah...
    What are the other God's names exactly and what do they do?
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Jun '10 09:06
    He says: "There are no other Gods besides me".
    Then why is She so afraid?
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Jun '10 09:302 edits
    "gods"-with a small "g" maybe😕

I thought one of the defintions of God ,(with a big "g" ), was that S/He was "in everything and everywhere" . Even the christian one.
    Soon as you say your god has a name and is a separate entity from other possible gods , you create duality. By most classical defintions of God , "It " cant be separated from the rest of "Itself" otherwise She would cease to be God.

(Gosh this sounds silly to read back. But sorry, at the moment I cant see a better way of expressing this simple sentiment. ie. that God is "one" )
    eeergh!!. I'll just shut up now...
  9. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    01 Jun '10 14:35
    There are loads of 'em, far too many to name. Mostly they hang around god-central laughing and pointing at Jehovah.
  10. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    01 Jun '10 15:12
    There are loads of 'em, far too many to name. Mostly they hang around god-central laughing and pointing at Jehovah.
    So no clue huh?
  11. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    01 Jun '10 16:20
    So no clue huh?
    That's correct - I have precisely the same level of knowledge as you on this subject. The only difference is that you won't admit it.
  12. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    01 Jun '10 19:19
    That's correct - I have precisely the same level of knowledge as you on this subject. The only difference is that you won't admit it.
    Well sorry to burst your bubble but your way off on assuming what I know... Kinda silly to say that to anyone I think.
  13. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    01 Jun '10 19:461 edit
    Well sorry to burst your bubble but your way off on assuming what I know... Kinda silly to say that to anyone I think.
    You *know* things about Jehovah??? (beyond what you read in holy books, your own extrapolations on such reading, and what you hear from your pastor which add only to your suppositions about this entity as opposed to iron cast knowledge)

Do you know its favourite colour? What's its favourite music?...How human-like does it look? Does it have facial hair?
  14. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    02 Jun '10 03:16
    Originally posted by Agerg
    You *know* things about Jehovah??? (beyond what you read in holy books, your own extrapolations on such reading, and what you hear from your pastor which add only to your suppositions about this entity as opposed to iron cast knowledge)

Do you know its favourite colour? What's its favourite music?...How human-like does it look? Does it have facial hair?
    You have to think much bigger then that my friend. He is not human and has no human ways such as that...
    You should go out and look at the stars at night more often and feel your place in the universe. The very small place....
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Jun '10 03:43
    You have to think much bigger then that my friend. He is not human and has no human ways such as that...
    You should go out and look at the stars at night more often and feel your place in the universe. The very small place....
    😠

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree