Doofbed!

😏
    Ooh, nice variation.

Well played.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Jul '16 03:06
    This is my take on why the term "gods" Is used.

Genesis 3:5 Satan tells Adam and Eve this, "For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."

In short, they became their own moral agents.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Jul '16 07:231 edit
    Originally posted by whodey

Genesis 3:5 Satan tells Adam and Eve this, "For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."

yes many people are their own 'gods'.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jul '16 07:53
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes many people are their own 'gods'.
    This is not much in the way of an analysis of the human condition though, is it ~ assuming that's what you intended the quip to be ~ as it's an 'allegation' that is entirely pejorative.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jul '16 08:191 edit

But isn't it good that every human is their own moral agent?

I thought Christians believed that God created humans to be free moral agents.

If moral agency is a person's capacity to make morally sound decisions based on concepts of right and wrong and then to take responsibility for these decisions and actions, isn't people doing exactly this - and thus being "their own moral agents" - a good thing?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Jul '16 11:467 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    This is not much in the way of an analysis of the human condition though, is it ~ assuming that's what you intended the quip to be ~ as it's an 'allegation' that is entirely pejorative.
    sorry slinky your self assumptions and the arguments which you build on those assumptions are not my concern. Do you have anything that is not self assuming?

The idea as espoused by whodey and confirmed by myself is not new nor is it difficult to understand. Let me explain it to you so that there can be no doubt.

Normally for the Christian morality springs from an interpretation of Gods revealed will as perceived in scripture. The morality is therefore deemed to originate with God. When a person with no recourse to anything but his own moral standards makes moral judgements entirely independently from God, they have infact superseded Gods moral standards and supplanted their own, in effect making themselves their own god. I don't know why you think this is a quip, pejorative or anything else. Perhaps if you were not so self assuming, who can say?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Jul '16 12:01
    Originally posted by FMF

If moral agency is a person's capacity to make morally sound decisions based on concepts of right and wrong and then to take responsibility for these decisions and actions, isn't people doing exactly this - and thus being "their own moral agents" - a good thing?
    We are under duress therefore to ask, upon what is this concept of right and wrong built? and what shall you answer?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jul '16 12:47
    We are under duress therefore to ask, upon what is this concept of right and wrong built? and what shall you answer?
    I think it's partly instinctive (nature) - and a product of human evolution and our social nature - and partly inculcated in us through socialization (nurture) as well as being constantly tweaked by experience and context. With the latter - nurture - the adoption of notions of right and wrong for many people is achieved, at least in part, by internalizing religious dogma.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jul '16 12:50
    ...they have infact superseded Gods moral standards and supplanted their own, in effect making themselves their own god. I don't know why you think this is a quip, pejorative or anything else.
    Yes, I think the "making themselves their own god" catchphrase is offered merely as a bit of cop out hyperbole - and essentially pejorative - instead of a genuine attempt to discuss anything.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Jul '16 12:521 edit
    Originally posted by FMF

But Adam and Eve were free to be their own moral agents before the fall, were they not?

Once they fell, they became their own god and followed what they thought was right rather than God.

"All we like sheep have gone astray, each has turned to his own ways"
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jul '16 12:55
    The morality is therefore deemed to originate with God. When a person with no recourse to anything but his own moral standards makes moral judgements entirely independently from God, they have infact superseded Gods moral standards and supplanted their own...
    If you behave in a morally sound way as a result of your subjective decision to subscribe to ancient Hebrew mythology (and its offshoot religion) then good for you. I welcome any morally sound behaviour that you engage in.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jul '16 12:58
    But Adam and Eve were free to be their own moral agents before the fall, were they not?

Once they fell, they became their own god and followed what they thought was right rather than God.

"All we like sheep have gone astray, each has turned to his own ways"
    I'm not sure you know what being a moral agent means. Do you think that people shouldn't be moral agents?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Jul '16 13:342 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think it's partly instinctive (nature) - and a product of human evolution and our social nature - and partly inculcated in us through socialization (nurture) as well as being constantly tweaked by experience and context. With the latter - nurture - the adoption of notions of right and wrong for many people is achieved, at least in part, by internalizing religious dogma.
    Instinct as opposed to reason. The evolutionary hypothesis dictates that the fittest outstrip the weakest and you want that to form a basis for your morality, ouch. Socialization you mean the shifting sands of social convention, whats morally fashionable? experience, you mean your own limited human experience, prone to aberration, imperfect. Yes indeed when it all comes down to it, we are left with vague references to vague concepts which produce a muddy moral ambiguity which might be termed a moral morass.

If the light that is in you is really darkness, how great that darkness is! - Matthew 6:23
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Jul '16 13:351 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    If you behave in a morally sound way as a result of your subjective decision to subscribe to ancient Hebrew mythology (and its offshoot religion) then good for you. I welcome any morally sound behaviour that you engage in.
    morally sound according to you, thankyou for illustrating the point.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Jul '16 14:40
    Excellent! yes! now why are these human mortals referred to as gods? Is the Bible expressing Polytheism as others have alleged when presented with the fact that the Bible makes mention of many gods? Why would receiving authority or a commission from God himself make one, 'a god'?
    How many saviours have you got?

Answer 2 Jehovah and Jesus.

Jesus is "mighty God" as Isaiah says in "for unto us a child is born."

You have two gods and two saviours.

Now get your shoe-shine box out...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree