02 Dec '11 14:28
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Credit where it is due .. Mr JW.
    Meester James W Bond, if you please 😛
  3. St. Peter's
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 14:30
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i think its fair to say that much of what passes for modern psychology is conjecture at
    best and hocus pocus at worst. There can be no question that the profusion of
    delinquency in schools is a direct correlation to a teachers inability to lay a finger on a
    pupil for fear of litigation. This is the direct result of a secular liberal ideology which has
    its basis in pure materialism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_violence
    one of our rare points of agreement
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 14:34
    Originally posted by Doward
    one of our rare points of agreement
    well, this is a surprise and a welcome one at that!
  5. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 14:391 edit
    I base it on observation and empirical data. For example, we have the statement
    proposed by Wolfe, whom i hold in high esteem, that contemporary psychological
    thought states that punishment does not in any way alter behavioural traits, well,
    clearly that is at odds with what we observe in schools, therefore one must ask, on
    what is it based ...[text shortened]... ice on
    rearing children as a case in point.

yes base materialism is the root of all evil 😛
    Okay, so your an 'arm chair' psychologist.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 14:40
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Okay, so your 'arm chair' psychologist.
    you bet!
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 14:57
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    "... especially with the lack of serious punishment ... "

What exactly do you have in mind?
    If you had the power what punishments would you implement and why.
    How about "sharia law". At least the muslims will agree with that one. 😀
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 15:00
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I have researched this. Found heaps of crap out there, and heaps of misinformation and disinformation

Your "conspiracy-not-O-metre" would melt is it hear much of what I really think. But the problem is this:
    Firstly, as I have pointed out, there has been much misinfo and disinfo, which will throw off a lot of people ,but to top it all, the "aliens ...[text shortened]... and not outward, as many have tried and failed to do in the past.

Questions?
    Sounds like a good story line for a science fiction novel or movie. Keep up
    the good work. 😏
  9. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 15:03
    Modern Psychology suggests very strongly that punishment is next to useless at altering behaviour.

Personally I am against punishment per se (but it may be a consequence of other measures - eg a child molester must be removed from society so the incarceration would be viewed as punishment)

What is your take on "Punishment" and what philosophical/spiritual stand point do you take? Does your god (or lack of) affect your thinking?
    Modern Psychology suggests very strongly that punishment is next to useless at altering behaviour.

As modern as Dr. Spock's permisivist psychology ?

There's a time for everything. And people should not go to the extreme or be reactionary.

If you bring up child and never teach them punishing consequences to certain acts, I don't think you must love them very much.

The fact of the matter is that a young fella lives in a world where there will be punishment out there. If you spank him on the behind when he messes up you just may save him considerable more discomfort latter.

The cop is not going to hit him on the butt. The cop will likely hit him in the skull.

It better that he taste unpleasant consequences on a safer level as a youngster than to let him run wild and you watch him really get punished by society.

Of course going to the other extreme is wrong also.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 15:03
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    I am sorry, but this is total and utter nonsense.

To find the 'truth' of the universe requires observing and studying it.
    Not turning inwards.

I can (and do) imagine all kinds of stuff that isn't even vaguely true or possible.

To find out what is real, true and possible, you have to use observation and
    experimentation to gather evidence and t ...[text shortened]... eak a grasp on reality.
    However it's a question you can't really be expected to answer.
    The Intelligent Design scientists are doing what you want. Maybe they will
    get the answers for you. 😏
  11. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 15:04
    you bet!
    Well, while you continue in your 'arm chair' role, i'm off out to be a 'rock star'. 🙂

Anyhow, the root of all evil is not base materialism but fear and superstition based on ignorance.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 15:12
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Well, while you continue in your 'arm chair' role, i'm off out to be a 'rock star'. 🙂

Anyhow, the root of all evil is not base materialism but fear and superstition based on ignorance.
    ahhh, is there no justice!
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 15:16
    That is quite obviously wrong. Everybody knows (or should do) that punishment does alter behavior, sometimes quite dramatically. Whether it is a favorable alteration is another matter.
    With regards to children, it is my belief that punishment generally works, but is the lazy way to do things. It is not the only way, nor the best way.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 19:16
    I have researched this. Found heaps of crap out there, and heaps of misinformation and disinformation

Your "conspiracy-not-O-metre" would melt is it hear much of what I really think. But the problem is this:
    Firstly, as I have pointed out, there has been much misinfo and disinfo, which will throw off a lot of people ,but to top it all, the "aliens ...[text shortened]... and not outward, as many have tried and failed to do in the past.

Questions?
    okay, now it's my turn.

Do you actually believe this??
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 19:18
    The ET's say there is no actual entity called "God". It is the animator of life, It is the all, permeating in everything.
    There is no God separate from creation.
    So they happen to believe what you believe?

What an amazing coincidence.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree