1. At the Revolution
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 18:49
    Originally posted by whodey
    Other than EV I don't think anyone here thinks their purpose is only to reproduce. Of course, I could be wrong.
    The purpose is to leave a positive impact on the world.

And reproduce.
  2. Joined
    17 May '05
    Moves
    14 Aug '08 04:201 edit
    According to a A TV evangelist whom I sometimes watch for the comedy of his illogic, our purpose here and hereafter is to serve others and to serve god. Duh, what exactly will people in heaven need to service? With my glorified body, I wouldn't need your food or shelter. There's no sorrow in heaven, so I don't need your comfort. Maybe I'll be forced to clean up somebody's heavenly, cluttered mansion or dwelling. If there's deep meaning in that, I don't see it.
    And as for God, what does he need, exactly? Praise 24/7 ?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Aug '08 14:572 edits
    Originally posted by scherzo
    The purpose is to leave a positive impact on the world.

And reproduce.
    What would you consider a positive impact verses a negative one? Also, have you fulfilled your evolutionary duty by reproducing yet?
  4. At the Revolution
    Moves
    14 Aug '08 15:58
    What would you consider a positive impact verses a negative one? Also, have you fulfilled your evolutionary duty by reproducing yet?
    One at a time.

1. I believe I have made a positive impact on the world. We all do. Whether one really has or not is for history to decide. I would consider a positive impact to be educating people on the truth or helping people who are repressed. A negative impact ... well, look at DSR if you want to see a negative impact.

2. No, I have not.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Aug '08 18:182 edits
    [b]One at a time.

1. I believe I have made a positive impact on the world. We all do. Whether one really has or not is for history to decide. I would consider a positive impact to be educating people on the truth or helping people who are repressed. A negative impact ... well, look at DSR if you want to see a negative impact.
    So are you saying that DSR has made a positive impact despite making a negative impact? I am a little confused about what you mean here. Also, don't we all make a negative impact in the world at one time or another just as DSR has? How does one then weigh the positive and negative and decide if our lives side heavier with a positive impact rather than the negative?
  6. At the Revolution
    Moves
    14 Aug '08 19:07
    So are you saying that DSR has made a positive impact despite making a negative impact? I am a little confused about what you mean here. Also, don't we all make a negative impact in the world at one time or another just as DSR has? How does one then weigh the positive and negative and decide if our lives side heavier with a positive impact rather than the negative?
    We all try to make a positive impact, but only a few succeed. DSR is one of the crash-and-burn failures.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Aug '08 23:36
    We all try to make a positive impact, but only a few succeed. DSR is one of the crash-and-burn failures.
    Well, I guess you don't have to answer the question if you don't want to.
  8. At the Revolution
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 15:01
    Well, I guess you don't have to answer the question if you don't want to.
    Didn't I already?

Oh, no, I have not yet reproduced.
  9. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 16:322 edits
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    we DO have an ultimate purpose, we are living organisms and just like all other living organisms, our purpose is to reproduce. any other purpose we "assign" ourselves is more of a secondary purpose; i know some people dont want kids but that was the intended purpose.
    I admit this is rather subjective but, at least to me, I think you are stretching the meaning of the word “purpose” here a bit. Mindless evolution gave us a predisposition to reproduce. But, at least for me, for any “purpose” to be what I call a “meaningful purpose”, some sort of mind or intelligence would have to have DELIBRIATELY made it so with that purpose in mind -any other sort of “purpose” is, to me at least, “meaningless” and not really a “real“ purpose. Evolution obviously didn’t give use the predisposition to reproduce because it had “that purpose in mind” because evolution has no “mind”. So I think the only “meaningful purpose” we humans can have in our lives is some purpose we choose to have -such as me choosing to use my skills to help the less fortunate etc.

P.S. I don’t think there is any meaningful “ultimate purpose“ to human lives if “ultimate purpose“ is defined as any meaningful purpose other than whatever we ourselves consciously choose to have.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Aug '08 17:551 edit
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    In a recent thread, I found this:

[b]Well that is the difference between believing there is a God and not believing there is a God. It is the difference between believing your life has purpose or believing that you are a result of random chance without purpose.

There are two parts of this statement that I think ent
    on this?

2) Why is it important to people to have an 'ultimate purpose?'

Nemesio[/b]
    How can there be an ultimate purpose if all purpose is up to the
    each person to figure out what they want and it is only as good as long
    as they want it? An ultimate purpose would require something beyond
    the desires of the temporal, or all you have is the desires of the
    moment nothing more ultimately.
    Kelly
  11. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    17 Aug '08 09:433 edits
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    How can there be an ultimate purpose if all purpose is up to the
    each person to figure out what they want and it is only as good as long
    as they want it? An ultimate purpose would require something beyond
    the desires of the temporal, or all you have is the desires of the
    moment nothing more ultimately.
    Kelly
    I am actually in total agreement with you here (and that is not sarcasm) 🙂
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    17 Aug '08 21:481 edit
    Originally posted by Regicidal
    ...our purpose here and hereafter is...to serve god. Duh, what exactly will people in heaven need to service? With my glorified body...
    😕
  13. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    18 Aug '08 11:26
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    I admit this is rather subjective but, at least to me, I think you are stretching the meaning of the word “purpose” here a bit. Mindless evolution gave us a predisposition to reproduce. But, at least for me, for any “purpose” to be what I call a “meaningful purpose”, some sort of mind or intelligence would have to have DELIBRIATELY made it so with th ...[text shortened]... s defined as any meaningful purpose other than whatever we ourselves consciously choose to have.
    actually, evolution does have a "mind" in a sense; that is the whole point of evolution. we evolve and change in order to survive long enough to reproduce.
  14. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    18 Aug '08 11:34
    Other than EV I don't think anyone here thinks their purpose is only to reproduce. Of course, I could be wrong.
    it's really annoying to me how theists are so arrogant as to think they are any different or more special than anyone else. we are all animals, whether we are intelligent or not, just because we are smarter than other animals doesn't mean we have a special purpose or meaning. another arrogant thing i have noticed of theists is that each single one thinks their view on religion is absolutely the only right way, for example: "i don't go to church, i believe god knows i am doing right and thats all that matters, that is the way." or "you must go to church every sunday and serve god." etc. all theists seem to have a disposition from everybody else that they believe puts them above all the rest when in fact they are not special at all. here is another classic example of arrogance by theists: "oh the world is so evil right now, the end is coming soon." why is it that in EVERY generation, every theist seems to think their time is so special that the end is coming? i remember this in psychology but i can't remember the correct term, can somebody help me out? it is the phenomenon that occurs when a person looks at other people as "they" or "them", dispositioning themselves to make themselves feel righteous. it seems to occur so much among theists.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Aug '08 11:382 edits
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    it's really annoying to me how theists are so arrogant as to think they are any different or more special than anyone else. we are all animals, whether we are intelligent or not, just because we are smarter than other animals doesn't mean we have a special purpose or meaning. another arrogant thing i have noticed of theists is that each single one thin selves to make themselves feel righteous. it seems to occur so much among theists.
    There is also a Biblical reference to this phenomenon. I recall a scripture that says that every man does as he pleases and does what is right in their own eyes. I don't think it is mutually exclusive to the theists, although it is nice to pin it on them. Come to think of it, are you not doing the same thing here?

As far as man's "superiority" over animals, can I ask you one thing? Do you eat other animals? Do you not think there is an element of truth to this ascertion? Also, if you had to decide to save a human being or an animal, would you not choose the human being?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree