Moves
    08 Jun '12 01:27
    Scientific reason for sacred geometry
    YouTube&feature=related
  2. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    08 Jun '12 02:02
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Well, it is hard to believe in something one knows nothing about.
    you seem to have no trouble with that.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Jun '12 03:18
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    you seem to have no trouble with that.
    Ha ha.
  4. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    12 Jun '12 13:59
    "Our original Buddha-Nature is in highest truth devoid of any atom of objectivity. It is void, omnipresent, silent, pure; it is glorious and mysterious peaceful joy - and that is all. Enter deeply into it by awakening to it yourself. That which is before you (awareness) is it, in all it's fullness, utterly complete. There is naught beside."

Huang Po.
  5. Joined
    02 May '09
    Moves
    12 Jun '12 18:24
    Is there a problem with causality and quantum mechanics. I had problem with probability and its axioms ,untill someone told me i had to treat axiomatic probability the same as axiomatic geometrty. will someone enlighten me if there is a problem with causality and quantum mechanics.
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 00:37
    Originally posted by kaminsky
    Is there a problem with causality and quantum mechanics. I had problem with probability and its axioms ,untill someone told me i had to treat axiomatic probability the same as axiomatic geometrty. will someone enlighten me if there is a problem with causality and quantum mechanics.
    There is a problem with determinism and quantum mechanics. QM is probabilistic - we can't predict outcomes with certainty at the atomic level; the strange part is that it is apparently impossible in principle to do so.

For example, we can set up experiments with two entangled atoms, A and B; if we measure the spin of A, then B will invariably have the opposite spin if measured at any time after that. This holds regardless of the distance between the atoms (so long as nothing else has interfered). But we have no idea which one will have which spin until we measure one or the other.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 05:25
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    There is a problem with determinism and quantum mechanics. QM is probabilistic - we can't predict outcomes with certainty at the atomic level; the strange part is that it is apparently impossible in principle to do so.

For example, we can set up experiments with two entangled atoms, A and B; if we measure the spin of A, then B will invariably h ...[text shortened]... erfered). But we have no idea which one will have which spin until we measure one or the other.
    Albert Einstein did not believe in Quantum Mechanics.
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 05:43
    Albert Einstein did not believe in Quantum Mechanics.
    Says who? He made a key contribution to QM theory in his paper on light quanta. From that came the idea of light as particles [photons] where it was previously thought of as only waves.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 06:041 edit
    Says who? He made a key contribution to QM theory in his paper on light quanta. From that came the idea of light as particles [photons] where it was previously thought of as only waves.
    Einstein’s two most memorable phrases perfectly capture the weirdness of quantum mechanics. “I cannot believe that God plays dice with the universe” expressed his disbelief that randomness in quantum physics was genuine and impervious to any causal explanation. “Spooky action at a distance” referred to the fact that quantum physics seems to allow influences to travel faster than the speed of light. This was, of course, disturbing to Einstein, whose theory of relativity prohibited any such superluminal propagation.

http://thediagonal.com/tag/einstein/

P.S. And he did not believe in the uncertainty principle.

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncertainty_principle
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 06:26
    Einstein’s two most memorable phrases perfectly capture the weirdness of quantum mechanics. “I cannot believe that God plays dice with the universe” expressed his disbelief that randomness in quantum physics was genuine and impervious to any causal explanation. “Spooky action at a distance” referred to the fact that quantum physics seems to allow influences ...[text shortened]... believe in the uncertainty principle.

Never trust a website that tells you there are only two things about QM that seem weird. 🙂

Neither of Einstein's statements should be taken as a denial of QM. The first is merely debating interpretations of QM. In the second, there is no conflict with relativity, because no particle or wave or information is propagating faster than light. If entanglement actually contradicted relativity, Einstein would have used a stronger word than 'spooky'.

For more about Einstein's battles with the Copenhagen interpretation, see:

http://www.imamu.edu.sa/Scientific_selections/abstracts/Physics/Einstein%20interpretation%20of%20quantum%20mechanics.pdf
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 06:28
    Einstein’s two most memorable phrases perfectly capture the weirdness of quantum mechanics. “I cannot believe that God plays dice with the universe” expressed his disbelief that randomness in quantum physics was genuine and impervious to any causal explanation. “Spooky action at a distance” referred to the fact that quantum physics seems to allow influences ...[text shortened]... believe in the uncertainty principle.

As for the Uncertainty Principle, I'll let Feynman weigh in.
    The Uncertainty Principle was a warning to people of the time that 'your Classical ideas are no damn good here' ... if you simply draw amplitude arrows, you don't need an Uncertainty Principle!
    (paraphrased)
  12. Joined
    02 May '09
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 07:48

For example, we can set up experiments with two entangled atoms, A and B; if we measure the spin of A, then B will invariably h ...[text shortened]... erfered). But we have no idea which one will have which spin until we measure one or the other.
    I know that what you have described has been proved experimentally ,whats interesting is that there exists an instant (faster than light) communication between the two particles.
  13. Joined
    02 May '09
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 07:57
    are the two particles communicating (for want of a better word) or are they part of one system.
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 16:46
    Originally posted by kaminsky
    I know that what you have described has been proved experimentally ,whats interesting is that there exists an instant (faster than light) communication between the two particles.
    But is it really communication? That's the rub.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree