1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Jun '12 02:19
    Originally posted by EAPOE
    Schrödinger's cat unfortunately boarders on mythology. It was the most deceptive analogy ever made about the quantum world. An attempt to illustrate microscopic quantum events using a macroscopic model. It is no wonder people were left confused.
    I think you are still confused. You don't appear to know the Guy, either.

Do you see a man wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.

(Proverbs 26:12 NASB)
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Jun '12 02:20
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    No. I never heard of the guy. 😀
    Goto another thread then. There's plenty of others and you can even start one.
    Even though I did not start this one, I have felt insulted by your presence here and will remember this unwarranted trollery on your part.

(ps, there is a time for humour and there is a time for giving a straight answer. Thats for next time, dont come back into this one )
  3. Standard memberEAPOE
    Earl of Rochester
    Restoration London
    Moves
    02 Jun '12 02:24

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Jun '12 02:26
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Goto another thread then. There's plenty of others and you can even start one.
    Even though I did not start this one, I have felt insulted by your presence here and will remember this unwarranted trollery on your part.

(ps, there is a time for humour and there is a time for giving a straight answer. Thats for next time, dont come back into this one )
    In a grumpy mood, I see. Okay, I will give you guys a break from my witty humor.
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    02 Jun '12 02:44
    I think there will be room for quantum and the other sciences. After all, everything has it's place and if you dont hang onto the knowledge of the past then you might just get a bit confused as to explain exactly why we ever go onto quantum?, (or other such enquiries ). So lets keep everything so that we can always quickly and readily be able to explain ...[text shortened]...
    (pretty much agree with the rest of your post, I was just responding to the last 2 paragraphs)
    I really enjoy not only learning some of the science I was never taught in school, like QM, but also the history behind it - at least from the perspective of, 'how the hell did they even think in that direction??'
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    02 Jun '12 02:471 edit
    For one example you could have these self-replicating micro machines that could be used for virtually anything (prolly be good for cleaning and recycling unused resources). That is one of the basic theories of Quantum - that any thing can be made out of anything (that's putting it a bit too forcefully) , but more practically , I think that they are work t takes a while to get an understanding in/on. I would say more than one book on this one 😉
    For laymen such as myself, I recommend "QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter" by Feynman (you can get by with a high-school/trig math level on this one). I also read a book by Styer that was not quite as good, but still gave some interesting background on the Stern/Gerlach and EPR experiments.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Jun '12 06:56
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I really enjoy not only learning some of the science I was never taught in school, like QM, but also the history behind it - at least from the perspective of, 'how the hell did they even think in that direction??'
    It fills in holes for me too, some times in quite unexpected ways. But nevertheless, there it is. Individual comprehension is a must with quantum. You just cant sell it to some one.
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Jun '12 06:58
    For laymen such as myself, I recommend "QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter" by Feynman (you can get by with a high-school/trig math level on this one). I also read a book by Styer that was not quite as good, but still gave some interesting background on the Stern/Gerlach and EPR experiments.
    Thanks. i'll run that by my library, I may well have to go to the city library, but it will be an adventure either way 🙂
  9. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    02 Jun '12 07:20
    "They" went that direction because

they were eager to get to know more about the ultimate nature of the universe; and first they had to find out what is the nature of the light. Empedocles back at 5th cent. BC was wrong, Lucretius (Nature of the Universe) was the first to propose that the light consisted of a stream of particles; too later on, along came Huygens, Hooke, Newton, Young, Fresnal, Maxwell, Planck... And in 1905 Einstein talked about "...energy quantas localised at points of space..." etc etc, then we heard of the non-locality and the Smiling Cat et al and after a while we just found ourselves herenow, creating bit by bit our holistic quantum philosopy;

I agree with you: it is easier to play with QM than with sunyatasaptati😵
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Jun '12 07:30
    I heard Hugh Ross say in his 1999 debate with Hovind that some Young-Earth Creationists don't believe in Quantum Mechanics.

Dare I ask if there are any such people here?
    Its my understanding that Kelly does not 'believe in' relativity. I presume this also means he doesn't believe in the implications of Quantum mechanics either - but I could be wrong here.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Jun '12 07:40
    For one example you could have these self-replicating micro machines that could be used for virtually anything (prolly be good for cleaning and recycling unused resources). That is one of the basic theories of Quantum - that any thing can be made out of anything (that's putting it a bit too forcefully) , but more practically , I think that they are work ...[text shortened]... t takes a while to get an understanding in/on. I would say more than one book on this one 😉
    Won't these things go 'rogue' and eat everything?
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Jun '12 07:50
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Won't these things go 'rogue' and eat everything?
    Everythings gotta be done right.

Look at Chernobyl . But they could've done nuclear power right ,right?
    (And I believe they do at a lot of places).

I can see your concern, but I believe some new moralities will evolve to guide us into using these new technologies the right way. In the end it is up to the same people who make will these decisions in the end.

If people cut corners and dont heed the consequences of their powerful research then it could be like the discovery of nuclear fission and the subsequent a-bomb that followed it , but times ten.

Responsible politcians and competent scientists and engineers can bring these potentials into a reality.
  13. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    02 Jun '12 08:06
    Originally posted by EAPOE
    Schrödinger's cat unfortunately boarders on mythology. It was the most deceptive analogy ever made about the quantum world. An attempt to illustrate microscopic quantum events using a macroscopic model. It is no wonder people were left confused.
    Is this string theory part of quantum physics or is it a whole new ball of, umm, string.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Jun '12 14:17
    Originally posted by black beetle

they were eager to get to know more about the ultimate nature of the universe; and first they had to find out what is the nature of the light. Empedocles back at 5th cent. BC was wrong, Lucretius (Nature of the Universe) was the first to propose that the light consisted of a stream of particles; too later on, along ...[text shortened]... ntum philosopy;

Then President George H.W. Bush talked about the "thousand points of Light."
    HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord!
  15. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    02 Jun '12 16:57
    Originally posted by black beetle

they were eager to get to know more about the ultimate nature of the universe; and first they had to find out what is the nature of the light. Empedocles back at 5th cent. BC was wrong, Lucretius (Nature of the Universe) was the first to propose that the light consisted of a stream of particles; too later on, along ...[text shortened]... ntum philosopy;

Whenever I hear someone mention Schrödinger's cat, I reach for my gun.
    -Stephen Hawking

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree