1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 04:02
    If you believe that the universe couldn't have been created without a designer, why do you not apply that same logic to God?
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 04:51
    Originally posted by @vivify
    If you believe that the universe couldn't have been created without a designer, why do you not apply that same logic to God?
    The evidence seems to suggest that the universe is not eternal and hence requires a cause. God by definition would be the uncaused first cause of the universe. If you believe God can't be eternal, why don't you apply the same logic to the universe?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 04:55
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    The evidence seems to suggest that the universe is not eternal and hence requires a cause. God by definition would be the uncaused first cause of the universe. If you believe God can't be eternal, why don't you apply the same logic to the universe?
    You seem to be asserting that God is the uncaused first cause of the universe because God is, by definition, the uncaused first cause of the universe.
  4. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 05:14
    Originally posted by @fmf
    You seem to be asserting that God is the uncaused first cause of the universe because God is, by definition, the uncaused first cause of the universe.
    God being the uncaused first cause of the universe is a self-evident proposition. To me at least.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 05:21
    God being the uncaused first cause of the universe is a self-evident proposition. To me at least.
    Is your assertion that it is "self-evident", in and of itself, the evidence you have that your god figure is the uncaused first cause of the universe?
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 05:24
    Is your assertion that it is "self-evident", in and of itself, the evidence you have that your god figure is the uncaused first cause of the universe?
    Have you ever heard of a presupposition?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 05:26
    Have you ever heard of a presupposition?
    You have sidestepped my question with an evasive counter-question.
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 05:292 edits
    No. It is a philosophical presupposition. If you don't know what that is look it up. How do you believe the universe came in existence?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 05:34
    No. It is a philosophical presupposition. If you don't know what that is look it up.
    To assert your personal opinion that something - by which I mean something that you have admitted you cannot prove is true in that past - is simply "self-evident" and then base other conjecture upon it is not something you can claim is "objective". Or do you accept you are being subjective about this?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 05:35
    How do you believe the universe came in existence?
    My answer to this is the same as it was the previous two or three times it cropped up and we discussed it in 2016 and 2017.
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 05:35
    To assert your personal opinion that something - by which I mean something that you have admitted you cannot prove is true in that past - is simply "self-evident" and then base other conjecture upon it is not something you can claim is "objective". Or do you accept you are being subjective about this?
    I'll answer your questions once you go back and answer my questions that you have ignored.
  12. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 05:39
    My answer to this is the same as it was the previous two or three times it cropped up and we discussed it in 2016 and 2017.
    Which is?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 05:40
    Which is?
    The same answer as it was before.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 05:43
    I'll answer your questions once you go back and answer my questions that you have ignored.
    Don't worry about it then. My questions contained a clear point, and the point is made.
  15. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 05:45
    The same answer as it was before.
    Would you agree that you also make assumptions that you cannot prove?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree