1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    10 Mar '18 21:301 edit
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    I’m not aware of women being stoned to death in the Bible, but I don’t know the Old Testament that well and didn’t feel qualified to comment on it. Nor is that something I often hear atheists bring up.

It would seem it did occur since Jesus saved a woman who committed adultery from being stoned, but that doesn’t speak to how often it took place.

Basically, I didn’t (and don’t) know enough about it to offer a comment.
    Then you are in no position to try to refute my statements, since by your own admission, you're fairly ignorant of over half of your own bible.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Mar '18 00:30
    Originally posted by @vivify
    Then you are in no position to try to refute my statements, since by your own admission, you're fairly ignorant of over half of your own bible.
    Not at all. I’m not that well versed in portions of the Old Testament and one of the sections is the Torah, though I do know Genesis very well.

The “talking snake” thing is an overused and discredited trope favored by atheists. No one needs to know the Old Testament very well to refute it.
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    11 Mar '18 03:241 edit
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    The NASA link is not evidence for, or against, a creator. It's about the the physical history, configuration, and expansion of the universe.

The Big Bang theory is compatible with a creator. But the creator is arguably not necessary.
    Well I don’t think you can prove that a creator is not necessary. If this proof existed everyone would be an atheist. How many paintings are around that can be proven to have come into existence without the intervention of an artist?
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Mar '18 04:27
    Originally posted by @vivify
    How about the creator appearing and, you know, doing some creating?
    I think it is more reasonable to assume that if the universe popped into existence uncaused we should see THAT phenomenon happen more.

Ie - a ipod appeading on my desk,
    a Kangaroo suddenly appearing on the front lawn.
    a pizza pie popping into existence uncaused in the
    closet.
    A bicycle, a sandwich, a palm tree, a Rubic's Cube
    maybe just popping into existence for no reason in
    your bedroom.

Things like that would be expected if the universe arrived of its own cause.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree