1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Apr '06 23:23
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    [b]The teaching was nothing short of heresy.

Which "teaching" are you referring to? The teaching on purgatory? On indulgences? On obtaining indulgences for acts of charity?
    The teaching I was referring to is the teaching that you can buy your way out of purgatory which was why Martin Luther broke away from the Catholic church. My point was that every teaching the church utters, no matter the denomination, should be verified by scripture. The word of God should be held higher than what man may tell you that is contrary.
  2. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    04 Apr '06 23:31
    Originally posted by whodey
    The teaching I was referring to is the teaching that you can buy your way out of purgatory which was why Martin Luther broke away from the Catholic church. My point was that every teaching the church utters, no matter the denomination, should be verified by scripture. The word of God should be held higher than what man may tell you that is contrary.
    Would you support a Christian who refused to pay taxes on this reasoning? What if they donated the amount they would owe directly to their church?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Apr '06 23:37
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Would you support a Christian who refused to pay taxes on this reasoning? What if they donated the amount they would owe directly to their church?
    That has already been covered by scripture. Render to Ceaser what is Ceasers. No I would not.
  4. London
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 10:00
    There is no such teaching. Luther got it all wrong.

And what do you mean by "verify by Scripture"?
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 12:46
    My understanding was that nearly every teaching in every Church was 'verified by scripture' or even better originated in scripture. However the basic problem is that scripture itself is self contradictory and open to multiple interpretations.
    As an interesting side point, what makes you think that what is in the Bible is 'scripture' and anything else is not? Wasn't the descision on which books to put in the Bible made by men?
  6. Joined
    03 Feb '06
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 15:241 edit
    The Bible speaks to each one of us according to our faith. Therefore, we must rely upon our faith to even begin to interpret each word, not taking anything out of context. Several scriptures refer us to church, but literally, one has to question the specific underlying command to attend. Since Christ is the Head of the Body (the church), we have to specify the fact that church isn't a building but our lives are the church. Christ lives in us and we live in Him. The church (building) is the place we're we edify one another, which strenghtens the Body. to "stand against the wiles of the devil." Eph.10:10-11. Communion, tithing, worship, prayer, santification, etc., all are done inside (the physical building) and outside (our spirit-filled lives as the Body) of the church.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 15:25
    There is no such teaching. Luther got it all wrong.

And what do you mean by "verify by Scripture"?
    Here is what I am talking about. I even have provided this from a Catholic perspective.

http://www.davidmacd.com/catholic/indulgences.htm

It appears that the selling of indulgences was not an "official" doctrine, but was a common practice that was not corrected until Martin Luther broke away from the church. My point is that man is corruptable and fallible and needs God's word to walk by to offset man's sin nature tendencies.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 15:32
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    My understanding was that nearly every teaching in every Church was 'verified by scripture' or even better originated in scripture. However the basic problem is that scripture itself is self contradictory and open to multiple interpretations.
    As an interesting side point, what makes you think that what is in the Bible is 'scripture' and anything else is not? Wasn't the descision on which books to put in the Bible made by men?
    You say that scripture is contradictory. Where do you think it contradictory? The fact that you have many interpretations only goes to show how fallible mankind is. What usually happens is men have agenda's of their own and then try to fit scripture around their agenda's to help themselves. This can be seen with my previous post about indulgences. They were not seeking God, they were seeking their own agenda and using God to help themselves.
  9. London
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 15:58
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Right on both counts...
  10. London
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 16:05
    It appears that the selling of indulgences was not an "official" doctrine, but was a common practice that was not corrected until Martin Luther broke away from the church.
    Not only was it not "official" doctrine, selling indulgences went against official doctrine.
  11. London
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 16:11
    You say that scripture is contradictory. Where do you think it contradictory? The fact that you have many interpretations only goes to show how fallible mankind is. What usually happens is men have agenda's of their own and then try to fit scripture around their agenda's to help themselves. This can be seen with my previous post about indulgences. They were not seeking God, they were seeking their own agenda and using God to help themselves.
    You haven't shown that indulgences themselves are unbiblical - just that selling them are (and I'm not certain you've showed even that). In which case, the Church was right about it all along.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 16:191 edit
    Not only was it not "official" doctrine, selling indulgences went against official doctrine.
    But like all RCC doctrines there were loopholes of course. And this widespread practice continued for 100's of years with the knowledge of the Church. So long as certain conventions were followed, it was A-OK. You know this, of course; Luther wasn't just making things up (in this case anyway).
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 16:25
    I get the feeling that you feel that Papal authority and Catholic doctrine are infallible. Is this your position?
  14. London
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 16:27
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    But like all RCC doctrines there were loopholes of course. And this widespread practice continued for 100's of years with the knowledge of the Church. So long as certain conventions were followed, it was A-OK. You know this, of course; Luther wasn't just making things up (in this case anyway).
    But like all RCC doctrines there were loopholes of course.

Is this relevant to the discussion, or are you just doing your usual soapbox routine?

And this widespread practice continued for 100's of years with the knowledge of the Church.

And you will find (if you bother to look) plenty of evidence that various Popes tried to reign in the abuses at various points of time.
  15. London
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 16:30
    I get the feeling that you feel that Papal authority and Catholic doctrine are infallible. Is this your position?
    Are my personal beliefs relevant to this discussion?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree