1. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    16 Jun '07 12:222 edits
    for university i had to study nde (near death experiences); the strange part i found about this was the person who had no belief in a religion or a god still experienced the same emotions and experiences as one who did... there are many, many accounts of non-believers going to a heaven like place and saying they felt they were in the presence of love all around them; one account (from a non-believer) said she felt she was in heaven and was asked by an angel like being if she wanted to stay... she wanted to, but knew her children would be without a mother so she said no, once she said that she regained consciousness on the operating table.

over 85% of the accounts i studied had similarities (meeting deceased relatives, feeling god, being in a heaven like surrounding), the strange part is these accounts are from atheists, jews, muslims, christians etc... not one account gave indication of punishment or judgement....

does this contradict the bible?
  2. Standard memberWheely
    Instant Buzz
    C#minor
    Moves
    16 Jun '07 12:59
    Originally posted by eatmybishop
    for university i had to study nde (near death experiences); the strange part i found about this was the person who had no belief in a religion or a god still experienced the same emotions and experiences as one who did... there are many, many accounts of non-believers going to a heaven like place and saying they felt they were in the presence of love all ...[text shortened]... ot one account gave indication of punishment or judgement....

Of course not!

For it to contradict the bible, a near death experience as you describe would have to actually be a trip to a real heaven by the person experiencing it. That would have had to be a real angel chatting to that lady.

If that is the case then you have proof that god is, in fact, Christian, as argued in the bible and anything contradictory within the bible is probably misinterpretation.

If near death experience is just some hallucination bought on my lack of oxygen then it has nothing to say about religion at all.
  3. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    16 Jun '07 21:07
    Originally posted by Wheely
    Of course not!

For it to contradict the bible, a near death experience as you describe would have to actually be a trip to a real heaven by the person experiencing it. That would have had to be a real angel chatting to that lady.

If that is the case then you have proof that god is, in fact, Christian, as argued in the bible and anything contradictory w ...[text shortened]... some hallucination bought on my lack of oxygen then it has nothing to say about religion at all.
    but there are stories of people describing conversations that took place in the operating theater, what the doctors or nurses what wearing, they were unconscicous at the time... in one account a woman tells the nurse what she saw on top of the cupboard as she was floating, this turned out to be true... how is this possible?
  4. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Moves
    16 Jun '07 21:24
    There are many possible explanations for NDE, I'm sure you know of many of them since you have actually studied the subject, whereas I only have an interest in it, but the only bit of it all that is difficult (but not impossible) to explain is the cupboard example.
    Even that can be explained if we know more about the circumstances, was the patient questioned about what was on the closet or was the information offered? In either case, did this happen at the time or sometime afterwards? Was the patient conscious for some time before this became known, allowing her brain to retroactively construct the scenario from images taken in the room, even from reflections or fractions of images. (retroactive hallucination happens all the time, particularly in people suffering from mild brain damage when they are asked to explain an action they did not consciously perform, but believe that they did. Their brain constructs a scenario to explain the information after the fact)
    As for contradicting the bible or other religious works, you mention that everyone had similar experiences, but that these experiences varied from actually speaking to angels, to a feeling of all encompassing love (a common theme in many religions). Do you have a breakdown of which religious groups experienced which type?
  5. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    16 Jun '07 22:08
    but there are stories of people describing conversations that took place in the operating theater, what the doctors or nurses what wearing, they were unconscicous at the time... in one account a woman tells the nurse what she saw on top of the cupboard as she was floating, this turned out to be true... how is this possible?
    In the move escape from hell, one of the people that works at the hospital puts a message an a sign at the roof of the building. She studies near death experiences in the movie.
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    17 Jun '07 04:37
    for university i had to study nde (near death experiences); the strange part i found about this was the person who had no belief in a religion or a god still experienced the same emotions and experiences as one who did... there are many, many accounts of non-believers going to a heaven like place and saying they felt they were in the presence of love all ...[text shortened]... ot one account gave indication of punishment or judgement....

"over 85% of the accounts i studied had similarities (meeting deceased relatives, feeling god, being in a heaven like surrounding), the strange part is these accounts are from atheists, jews, muslims, christians etc... not one account gave indication of punishment or judgement.... "

I've heard of those with punishment involved, personally the accounts
    can mean a lot of things, hard to cast a blanket statement on so
    many different accounts.
    Kelly
  7. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    17 Jun '07 04:39

good, i will live without restraints of religion and still go to heaven.
  8. Joined
    06 May '07
    Moves
    17 Jun '07 19:14
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    good, i will live without restraints of religion and still go to heaven.
    That is not the case you have to expect Jesus into your heart and worship and serve him people say they have a expirence in heaven whether it is true or not you must accept God
    I have heard stories about people saying they have been to heaven and see cats and dogs running down the steps until I hear some biblical proof I don't belive that and One story I read was a man that went to heaven and I belive it because he saw some things that Jesus desribed
  9. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    17 Jun '07 20:26
    Originally posted by LivingForJesus
    That is not the case you have to expect Jesus into your heart and worship and serve him people say they have a expirence in heaven whether it is true or not you must accept God
    I have heard stories about people saying they have been to heaven and see cats and dogs running down the steps until I hear some biblical proof I don't belive that and One st ...[text shortened]... ad was a man that went to heaven and I belive it because he saw some things that Jesus desribed
    You? Not accept something until there is proof, yeah, pull the other one.

Oh, and I think you mean "accept"
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Jun '07 23:183 edits

In Revelations it says there are two resurrections. There is one for the "just" and one for the "unjust". Such resurrections are yet to occur. Therefore what happens in between is purely speculative. Christ once referred to someone that had died as merely "sleeping". Granted, they laughed at him.........that is right before he raised them from the dead. Christ is the resurrection and the life and we will ALL be resurrected.

What interests me the most are out of body experiences that reflect the reality around the deceased that they would not have otherwise been able to know. One could say that near death experiences are simply chemical reactions in the brain, however, there are some who are able to recount conversations that have occured in different rooms around them. The most interesting story that I have heard of was about a man who had been blind since birth and had a near death experience. When he came back he descibed his surroundings to a tee in terms of what it was like to actually see. Such experiences, I think, are harder to "explain away".
  11. Standard memberblakbuzzrd
    Buzzardus Maximus
    Moves
    17 Jun '07 23:52
    Originally posted by whodey
    The most interesting story that I have heard of was about a man who had been blind since birth and had a near death experience. When he came back he descibed his surroundings to a tee in terms of what it was like to actually see. Such experiences, I think, are harder to "explain away".
    That's what gives urban legend its staying power.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree