1. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    03 Mar '15 02:34
    Originally posted by JS357
    This deserves more discussion under Science:

http://www.iflscience.com/chemistry/hot-water-freezes-faster-cold-and-now-we-know-why
    Well I didn't know that, although the effect is inconsistent. What it does show is that water is strange stuff. Mpemba first noticed the effect in ice-cream, so I wonder if it still works if the water is de-ionized. You're right though I'll start a thread.
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    03 Mar '15 03:241 edit
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I assume that you meant this the other way round:
    ...since hot water freezes faster than [water that is] cold or [at] room [temperature]
    as I can assure you that a bucket of cold water will freeze more quickly than an otherwise identical bucket of boiling hot water if placed in freezing conditions.
    Hot water freezes faster than cold.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    03 Mar '15 03:263 edits
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Ok, noting that they cheated in that video by just throwing all the water away instead of leaving it in the cup to insta-turn cold, I imagine are you saying that we might not have to wait a whole hour. Perhaps it might only take a second or so before the step is taken that transforms it from being boiling hot to freezing cold. Even if that is so, if we divide ...[text shortened]... " mumbo jumbo please - again, as per your stance on evolution we don't accept changes over time.
    They didn't cheat I told you in that post that if you took hot water outside
    and threw it in the air that would happen. After I wrote post I thought I'd
    try to find an example and did.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    03 Mar '15 03:35
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Well I didn't know that, although the effect is inconsistent. What it does show is that water is strange stuff. Mpemba first noticed the effect in ice-cream, so I wonder if it still works if the water is de-ionized. You're right though I'll start a thread.
    I thought it happen all the time, I remember reading that years ago did not
    know it wasn't always true.
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    03 Mar '15 04:14
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I thought it happen all the time, I remember reading that years ago did not
    know it wasn't always true.
    It's counter-intuitive, since one would expect the cold water to have a head start and therefore freeze first. The article JS357 linked to claims it is to do with hydrogen bonding, but the Wikipedia article gives several possible reasons, so I don't know that the matter is settled. An obvious control is to try it with some different substances and check that they don't exhibit the same effect. The story behind it, which is related in the Wikipedia article, is quite nice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mpemba_effect
  6. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    03 Mar '15 07:42
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    They didn't cheat I told you in that post that if you took hot water outside
    and threw it in the air that would happen. After I wrote post I thought I'd
    try to find an example and did.
    nyih ... I grow weary of this charade - I give up
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    03 Mar '15 07:54
    nyih ... I grow weary of this charade - I give up
    Do you do that a lot?
  8. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    03 Mar '15 09:58
    Hmm ... clearly my education is lacking, I do not get the reference here (and a google search didn't help)
    Yes. Also, your argument-fu is weak.
  9. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    03 Mar '15 10:02
    Originally posted by FMF
    "For many are called, but few are chosen."

This could be seen as empowering "cults" who revel in being "few" and in declaring themselves to be "chosen". It also would appear to be at odds with the notion that one has only to believe ~ as billions do, and not "few" ~ to be saved, and that this salvation purportedly comes from that belief (alone) and not from being "chosen".
    Well - this is why it is important to read in context and then think about it, not to quote single sentences and then fit them into a preconceived argument.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Mar '15 10:12
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Well - this is why it is important to read in context and then think about it, not to quote single sentences and then fit them into a preconceived argument.
    In my experience, the people who most often quote single sentences from Christian literature and then fit them into preconceived arguments and ideologies ~ especially on this forum ~ are Christians.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Mar '15 18:03
    Originally posted by FMF
    In my experience, the people who most often quote single sentences from Christian literature and then fit them into preconceived arguments and ideologies ~ especially on this forum ~ are Christians.
    Well, then, your experience is lacking as well.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Mar '15 18:06
    Originally posted by JS357
    Matthew 22 is worth a read. To the believer or interested nonbeliever, it presents important parts of the story.
    Of course, but what I found funny was your pun, not the scripture.

The pun itself... dare I say it was inspired? Yes, I daresay. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree