Question for Kellyjay.

Question for Kellyjay.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
02 Mar 15
2 edits

If I let a kettle of water reach boiling point and then walk away for an hour I find that when I come back to it, the water that was previously scalding hot has gone freezing cold.
My question to you

given that we must not allow for small incremental changes over time - a.k.a. your stance on evolution
, is ...

What causes all those excited, and free to move particles to suddenly clump up together really close and just stand there wiggling a bit - how come they all copy each other? (the probability of that happening due to sheer chance is, as you'll surely agree, breathtakingly small!!!) What is causing this instantaneous change from hot to cold!???

Has there ever been any recorded instance where, just left there minding it's own business for a while, scalding hot water suddenly takes it upon itself to become fricking freezing!??

Moves
02 Mar 15

Originally posted by Agerg
If I let a kettle of water reach boiling point and then walk away for an hour I find that when I come back to it, the water that was previously scalding hot has gone freezing cold.
My question to you[hidden]given that we must not allow for small incremental changes over time - a.k.a. your stance on evolution[/hidden], is ...

What causes all those excited, ...[text shortened]... ess for a while, scalding hot water suddenly takes it upon itself to become fricking freezing!??
Many are cold, but few are frozen.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
02 Mar 15

My question to you[hidden]given that we must not allow for small incremental changes over time - a.k.a. your stance on evolution[/hidden], is ...

What causes all those excited, ...[text shortened]... ess for a while, scalding hot water suddenly takes it upon itself to become fricking freezing!??
I suppose that depends on where you left the boiling hot water, since
hot water freezes faster than cold or room. If you were in the Midwest
during a very cold spell it would not take long at all for the water to
freeze if it were exposed to the cold.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
02 Mar 15
3 edits

Originally posted by KellyJay
But as you surely agree, the transition from hot to cold happens in one single action
just like (as opponents of evolution argue) apes are supposed to have evolved into modern humans in one step
. So what is out there in the midwest insta-transforming this water from being boiling hot to freezing cold?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
02 Mar 15

Originally posted by JS357
"Sometimes the questions are complicated but the answers are simple."
~Dr. Seuss

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
02 Mar 15
1 edit

But as you surely agree, the transition from hot to cold happens in one single action[hidden]just like (as opponents of evolution argue) apes are supposed to have evolved into modern humans in one step[/hidden]. So what is out there in the midwest insta-transforming this water from being boiling hot to freezing cold?
I surely agree that water freezing will depend on the temperature and
content of the water, how cold it is, and so on.

The transition could be very fast for water to go from boiling to ice, take
a pot of boiling water outside and throw it high in the air and if it is cold
enough that will all turn to ice before it hits the ground.

If you think water freezing is a good example for evolution, I would
disagree.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
02 Mar 15

Okay, now this is funny!

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
02 Mar 15

Hmm ... clearly my education is lacking, I do not get the reference here (and a google search didn't help)

F

Moves
02 Mar 15

Hmm ... clearly my education is lacking, I do not get the reference here (and a google search didn't help)
Many are called, but few are chosen.

rain

Moves
02 Mar 15

Awesome post, buddy. Awesome post.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
02 Mar 15
4 edits

Ok, noting that they cheated in that video by just throwing all the water away instead of leaving it in the cup to insta-turn cold, I imagine are you saying that we might not have to wait a whole hour. Perhaps it might only take a second or so before the step is taken that transforms it from being boiling hot to freezing cold. Even if that is so, if we divide that second into a billion equal parts, you will surely agree that there is some billionth of a second for which it is just as hot as when it was first boiled, and in the next billionth is as cold as its ever going to be.

Now my question is what causes this instantaneous change at that chosen point? and don't give me any of this so called "cooling" mumbo jumbo please - again, as per your stance on evolution we don't accept changes over time.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
02 Mar 15

Originally posted by KellyJay
I assume that you meant this the other way round:
...since hot water freezes faster than [water that is] cold or [at] room [temperature]
as I can assure you that a bucket of cold water will freeze more quickly than an otherwise identical bucket of boiling hot water if placed in freezing conditions.

Moves
03 Mar 15

Originally posted by Suzianne
Okay, now this is funny!
Matthew 22 is worth a read. To the believer or interested nonbeliever, it presents important parts of the story.

Moves
03 Mar 15

Originally posted by DeepThought
I assume that you meant this the other way round:
...since hot water freezes faster than [water that is] cold or [at] room [temperature]
as I can assure you that a bucket of cold water will freeze more quickly than an otherwise identical bucket of boiling hot water if placed in freezing conditions.
This deserves more discussion under Science:

http://www.iflscience.com/chemistry/hot-water-freezes-faster-cold-and-now-we-know-why

F

Moves
03 Mar 15
1 edit

Matthew 22 is worth a read. To the believer or interested nonbeliever, it presents important parts of the story.
"For many are called, but few are chosen."

This could be seen as empowering "cults" who revel in being "few" and in declaring themselves to be "chosen". It also would appear to be at odds with the notion that one has only to believe ~ as billions do, and not "few" ~ to be saved, and that this salvation purportedly comes from that belief (alone) and not from being "chosen".