1. omnipresent
    Moves
    03 Jan '06 17:11
    Hi all!
    I'm currently writing a paper for my English class on the effects of the frontier on the American Character. I'm currently trying to link what is percieved as American materialism by many people to a branch of religion that I know was wide-spread during pioneer times, which led to a completely different cultural perception of wealth.
    Whether or not this is true or very far-fetched, I'm looking for the name of that branch of Christianity which believed (dunno if they still exist) that how wealthy someone is shows that God loves them or has chosen them.
    Thanks a lot if anybody here can help me!
    Angie
  2. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    03 Jan '06 17:16
    Originally posted by angie88
    Whether or not this is true or very far-fetched, I'm looking for the name of that branch of Christianity which believed (dunno if they still exist) that how wealthy someone is shows that God loves them or has chosen them.
    Puritanism.
  3. omnipresent
    Moves
    03 Jan '06 18:07
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Puritanism.
    Calvinism, to be more exact... I called our religious geek who was in my history class last year 😀
    thanks for the help though 😀
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    03 Jan '06 18:12
    Calvinism, to be more exact...
    It's an attractive doctrine, don't you find?
  5. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '06 18:131 edit
    Calvinism, to be more exact... I called our religious geek who was in my history class last year 😀
    thanks for the help though 😀
    Puritanism is an offspring from calvinism. But seriously, your looking for the word: capitalism.

🙂 😵
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    03 Jan '06 18:15
    Originally posted by stocken
    But seriously, your looking for the word: capitalism.
    The Word made cash.
  7. omnipresent
    Moves
    03 Jan '06 18:15
    Originally posted by stocken
    Puritanism is an offspring from calvinism. But seriously, your looking for the word: capitalism.

🙂 😵
    I can hardly portray capitalism as a religion, can I?

And Bosse De Nage: If I believed in God, it might be attractive, I dunno 😛
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    03 Jan '06 18:17
    And Bosse De Nage: If I believed in God, it might be attractive, I dunno
    Angie the Calvinist...please, no 😕
  9. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '06 18:54
    I can hardly portray capitalism as a religion, can I?

And Bosse De Nage: If I believed in God, it might be attractive, I dunno 😛
    It was a joke.

But why not? Let's toy with the thought, shall we. Let's call capitalism a religion. Why would that be an acceptable term? (Assuming it is, of course.)

Well, the God is money and greed is a virtue and all that. A true capitalist will adhere to few rules unless they can promote acquisition. Yes? Only rules that has to be followed so as not to get in trouble with the society at large, and therefore possibly loose profit are followed.

There are fanatic capitalists, and more "normal" ones.

I think, in a way, you could protrude capitalism as a religion. You just have to be flexible in the usage of the word.

(Oh bullocks. I just annoyed all those "show me the lexicon definition of the word or shut up"-people. Didn't I?)

😞
  10. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    03 Jan '06 19:54
    Hi all!
    I'm currently writing a paper for my English class on the effects of the frontier on the American Character. I'm currently trying to link what is percieved as American materialism by many people to a branch of religion that I know was wide-spread during pioneer times, which led to a completely different cultural perception of wealth.
    Whether or not ...[text shortened]... ows that God loves them or has chosen them.
    Angie
    Angie, I 'm not sure if you are talking about one specific sect or denomination. There is such a thing as the "Protestant work ethic" but I don't think that's what you are looking for. In Christianity today there are numerous independent churches that preach a "wealth theology". You might log on to www.revike.org just to get a flavor of it.

But I think what you are talking about is something that is archetypal in that it is engrained into people that if good fortune comes my way, the gods must be smiling.
  11. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    03 Jan '06 20:02
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    But I think what you are talking about is something that is archetypal in that it is engrained into people that if good fortune comes my way, the gods must be smiling.
    And if bad luck is your lot, the gods have turned their faces away from you--no doubt on account of your horrible character.
  12. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    03 Jan '06 20:05
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    And if bad luck is your lot, the gods have turned their faces away from you--no doubt on account of your horrible character.
    Dammit, has Ivanhoe been talking to you again?
  13. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    03 Jan '06 20:06
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Dammit, has Ivanhoe been talking to you again?
    I didn't mean you in particular--but now that you mention it...

🙂
  14. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    03 Jan '06 20:14
    Hi all!
    Whether or not ...[text shortened]... ows that God loves them or has chosen them.
    Angie
    I do not know.
  15. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '06 04:37
    I don't know of any sect of Christianity that fits that description.
    Calvanism main tenant is 'once saved, always saved'. I don't believe they put much emphasis on wealth.
    Puritanism has a very strict moral code, and include predestination. But I don't believe they focused on wealth either.
    What you might be thinking of is an old Jewish mentality that if things were going bad, God was punishing you, and if things were going good, God was rewarding you. You can see this clearly in the Bible book named Job (pronounced Jobe - long O) In this book, Satan takes all of Job's family (except his wife), his wealth (he was rich) and even his health. His "friends" then come as hound him about what he did to anger God, but he stands his ground and says he did nothing.
    Since Christianity is an extension of the Jewish faith, you can still see some of this mentality in some sects today. The "name it and claim it" preachers are going strong because people want to believe this. But it's not actually a Biblical teaching. This is nothing in the Bible what says, become a believer and all your troubles will go away. Quite the contrary, actually.

Hope this helps.
    Daniel

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree