1. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    03 May '05 00:07
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Is Coletti wrong when he says that a person cannot be both a Christian and a serial killer?
    He is probably right.

But a serial killer can become a Christian and stop doing is wicked ways, by the power of the Holy Spirit.
  2. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    03 May '05 00:11
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    He is probably right.

But a serial killer can become a Christian and stop doing is wicked ways, by the power of the Holy Spirit.
    I don't understand. Why are some habitual sins compatible with Christianity while others are not?

For example, a man who is having an affair is repeatedly committing a sin and living a sinful lifestyle. From this, can you conclude that the man cannot be a Christian?
  3. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    03 May '05 00:15
    I don't understand. Why are some habitual sins compatible with Christianity while others are not?

For example, a man who is having an affair is repeatedly committing a sin and living a sinful lifestyle. From this, can you conclude that the man cannot be a Christian?
    The conclusion is his faith in not genuine.
  4. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    03 May '05 00:181 edit
    Originally posted by Coletti
    The conclusion is his faith in not genuine.
    The adulterer's? You would say that genuine Christian adulterers cannot exist?
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 May '05 00:28
    I don't get it, either. You guys have said that every Christian sins every day and that no sin is acceptable; only God's "grace" can save us. What's the difference if the sin is sawing the paperboy's head off or taking a nickel from the collection plate? Does doing either disqualify you from being a Christian if you're sincerely sorry about it afterwards? And if you lapse again (which all Christians do, right?) so what?
  6. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    03 May '05 01:10
    Is Coletti wrong when he says that a person cannot be both a Christian and a serial killer?
    One cannot both be a true Christian and a Serial Killer. A Christian does sin. We are not excluded from sin. We just don't have to sin on purpose. There are problely Christians that sin and repent, sin and repent. But is their their heart in their repentance. That would be how they would be judged by what was in their heart at the time of repentance. To sin on purpose just because you can be forgiven, is not a true Christian. A true Christian is not going to crucify CHRIST, over and over and over again.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 May '05 01:19
    Originally posted by blindfaith101
    One cannot both be a true Christian and a Serial Killer. A Christian does sin. We are not excluded from sin. We just don't have to sin on purpose. There are problely Christians that sin and repent, sin and repent. But is their their heart in their repentance. That would be how they would be judged by what was in their heart at the time of repentance. ...[text shortened]... a true Christian. A true Christian is not going to crucify CHRIST, over and over and over again.
    BF: We just don't have to sin on purpose.

How do you "accidentally" sin?
  8. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    03 May '05 01:22

Their are no sins that are compatible with CHristianity. What some do not understand is A Christian must follow the whole word of CHRIST not just the part that they like. All habitual sins are sins, period. If a man sins repeatedly you can not conclude that he is a Christian. Neither can you say that he is not. But if a man sins and knows he is sinning while he is sinning can that man repent and be forgiven.
  9. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    03 May '05 01:25
    The adulterer's? You would say that genuine Christian adulterers cannot exist?
    Christian Adulterers are sinners and GOD hates sin. If that Christian Adulterer does not repent and turn back to CHRIST, he is going to everlasting punishment.
  10. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    03 May '05 01:31
    Originally posted by no1marauder

Some Christians do sin on purpose, because they think that they can repent and be forgiven. They misuse both the Grace of GOD and the Salvation of CHRIST.
    There have been times that we all have done something that we thought was right, but turned out to be wrong. Turned out to be a sin that was not on purpose.
  11. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    03 May '05 01:38
    Their are no sins that are compatible with CHristianity. What some do not understand is A Christian must follow the whole word of CHRIST not just the part that they like. All habitual sins are sins, period. If a man sins repeatedly you can not conclude that he is a Christian. Neither can you say that he is not. But if a man sins and knows he is sinning while he is sinning can that man repent and be forgiven.
    When I ask whether a sin is "compatible with Christianity," I mean to ask whether it is logically possible for a person to both commit that sin and to be a Christian concurrently. I understand that to sin is to go against God's will, so I don't mean to ask if sin and Christianity are compatible in that sense, like compassion and forgiveness are compatible with Christianity.

Given that understanding of the term, do you still maintain that their [sic] are no sins that are compatible with Christianity? Or would you say that some sins are and some sins are not compatible with Christianity? That is, given that a person habitually commits some particular sins, can you infer, as Coletti does, that that person is not in fact a true Christian?

12. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    03 May '05 01:48
    When I ask whether a sin is "compatible with Christianity," I mean to ask whether it is logically possible for a person to both commit that sin and to be a Christian concurrently. I understand that to sin is to go against God's will, so I don't mean to ask if sin and Christianity are compatible in that sense, like compassion and forgiveness are ...[text shortened]... ular sins, can you infer, as Coletti does, that that person is not in fact a true Christian?

I keep hearing the term "true Christian" come up in this conversation. Is there a difference between a Christian and a true Christian? I have the same reaction to "born again Christian" as it is used to say that form of a Christian is superior to a plain old Christian.
  13. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    03 May '05 01:52
    When I ask whether a sin is "compatible with Christianity," I mean to ask whether it is logically possible for a person to both commit that sin and to be a Christian concurrently. I understand that to sin is to go against God's will, so I don't mean to ask if sin and Christianity are compatible in that sense, like compassion and forgiveness are ...[text shortened]... ular sins, can you infer, as Coletti does, that that person is not in fact a true Christian?

You ask a very good question. But do we know the heart of that sinning Christian? Not knowing the heart makes that question very hard to answer.
  14. Not Kansas
    Moves
    03 May '05 02:01
    Originally posted by no1marauder

Pass gas on de pew?
  15. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    03 May '05 02:44
    You ask a very good question. But do we know the heart of that sinning Christian? Not knowing the heart makes that question very hard to answer.
    I agree. It is hard to tell when someone has a "true heart" for Christ. The warnings about not leading a life of sin is a warning to people in the church if they continue un-changed in their ways. For once a person is converted, some evidence should be there. Habitual sins (chronic sin) is not compatible to a changed heart and mind that the Christians is supposed to have. There will be sins, and some habits die painful death, but non-the-less, Christians are no longer slaves to sin.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree