1. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    06 Apr '06 14:09
    Just a few questions to satisfy my knowledge...

Does an atheist have a religion?
    And does an atheist believe in any kind of Spirituality?
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    06 Apr '06 14:121 edit
    Originally posted by Nicksten

You can get both the answers to your questions by reading any one of the numerous threads dealing with such notions here. Perhaps we should ask Russ for a sticky at the top of the forum that lists the definitions of atheist and thiest, christian etc.

EDIT: To answer your questions: 1) No, atheism is not a belief system. 2) This depends on how you define spirituality. Most atheists will deny the existence of the supernatural, so if you define spirituality as a belief in the supernatural or any synonymous categorisation, then no. However, if you define it as a sense of questioning, peace, searching etc. Then these things are still possible to those that deny the existence of the supernatural.
  3. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    06 Apr '06 14:151 edit
    Originally posted by Starrman
    You can get both the answers to your questions by reading any one of the numerous threads dealing with such notions here. Perhaps we should ask Russ for a sticky at the top of the forum that lists the definitions of atheist and thiest, christian etc.
    Well, did you ask him yet 🙂

Its just that not all believe or feel the same way...
  4. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    06 Apr '06 14:20
    Its just that not all believe or feel the same way...
    I'm not sure I understand, did you see my edit?
  5. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    06 Apr '06 14:26
    I'm not sure I understand, did you see my edit?
    yes, thank you.

I have read a few of the threads and in some way it looks like there are a few atheists that does believe in spirituality the way you put it. Its just, why are there so many atheists in the Spirituality Forum?

I know everyone is can come in here bla bla bla, but...atheist, why? Could they be wrong in themselves? - That is what I dont understand.
  6. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    06 Apr '06 14:321 edit
    yes, thank you.

I have read a few of the threads and in some way it looks like there are a few atheists that does believe in spirituality the way you put it. Its just, why are there so many atheists in the Spirituality Forum?

I know everyone is can come in here bla bla bla, but...atheist, why? Could they be wrong in themselves? - That is what I dont understand.
    I see, well let me put it this way. If you thought about the world a specific way, would you step away from the world you disagreed with? Or would you venture towards it in the hope of clarificating your views, questioning yourself to make sure you have made the right decision, or perhaps just to find out if there's anything else to be gained that you might have missed?

Most atheists here are here to discuss the nature of spirituality because its is a subject of great interest to them, either in ascertaining knowledge of others, or of themselves. We can all be deemed to be on some sort of spiritual journey, theist or atheist, supernatural or natural. So I guess spirituality is really just the journey of self knowledge and the knowledge of where you fit in with others.
  7. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    06 Apr '06 16:10

EDIT: To answer your questions: 1) No, atheism is not a belief system. 2) This depends on how you defin ...[text shortened]... etc. Then these things are still possible to those that deny the existence of the supernatural.
    I would add also that an atheist can believe in a supernatural world as long as he/she does not also believe that there is a god.
  8. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    06 Apr '06 16:17
    Originally posted by telerion
    I would add also that an atheist can believe in a supernatural world as long as he/she does not also believe that there is a god.
    That's true; I'm an atheist, but I believe in the Whale Father, the Whale Son, the Whale Song and all the Faith Whales.
  9. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    06 Apr '06 17:33
    yes, thank you.

I personally came for a nosey round first time, saw some theists with a very poor grasp of science trying to have a go at my mate Darwin and decided I was gonna have to smack a few cyber-heads together, educational like.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    06 Apr '06 19:18
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    I personally came for a nosey round first time, saw some theists with a very poor grasp of science trying to have a go at my mate Darwin and decided I was gonna have to smack a few cyber-heads together, educational like.
    I see that you have made enormous progress in making them see the error of their ways.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    06 Apr '06 20:26

I don't have a religion, nor do I believe in any kind of Spirituality as these things are typically defined.
  12. Meddling with things
    Moves
    06 Apr '06 22:411 edit
    yes, thank you.

I accidentally clicked on the Forum button and spotted the spirituality forum. At the time I was busily trying to get Samaritan's Purse out of my children's school and feeling very concerned at the rise of the christian right in general and the ID/creartionists in particular.

As an opinionated person who enjoys argument I guess I found my spiritual home!
  13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    06 Apr '06 22:46
    yes, thank you.

This is a forum to argue about spiritual matters, either pro or con. You don't have to be a theist to have an opinion on such topics.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Apr '06 01:02

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

15. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    07 Apr '06 10:35
    Originally posted by telerion
    In what way then can an atheist see a supernatural world?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree