1. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    07 Apr '06 10:41
    Originally posted by Nicksten
    In what way then can an atheist see a supernatural world?
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'see', but although most of the atheists I know (me included), deny the existence of the supernatural, this doesn't mean that they have to see things this way. Atheism is strictly a denial of the existence of god(s). It says nothing about the potential for other supernatural entities to be considerable.

Personally I find this hard to come to terms with, if I apply the same rational which I believe justifies my atheism to the subject of any other supernatural entity or concept I get the same answers. But, having said that, there are different types of atheism and different rationale supports the views thereof, so others may not deal with the supernatural on the same basis.
  2. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    07 Apr '06 10:43
    Originally posted by Starrman
    I see, well let me put it this way. If you thought about the world a specific way, would you step away from the world you disagreed with? Or would you venture towards it in the hope of clarificating your views, questioning yourself to make sure you have made the right decision, or perhaps just to find out if there's anything else to be gained that you mig ...[text shortened]... is really just the journey of self knowledge and the knowledge of where you fit in with others.
    nicely said, thanks.
  3. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    07 Apr '06 11:45
    Originally posted by Nicksten
    In what way then can an atheist see a supernatural world?
    Ex. A supernatural world exists where dead people's souls go when they die. Forces from the supernatural influence what happens in the physical world. There is no god involved.

It's really quite simple to divorce a supernatural world from the idea of gods.
  4. London
    Moves
    07 Apr '06 11:46
    Originally posted by telerion
    Ex. A supernatural world exists where dead people's souls go when they die. Forces from the supernatural influence what happens in the physical world. There is no god involved.

It's really quite simple to divorce a supernatural world from the idea of gods.
    Anything but Christianity, eh?
  5. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    07 Apr '06 11:49
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Anything but Christianity, eh?
    For Chrissake's Lu Lu, I would think some one like you who is so fond of finding counterexamples would recognize what I'm saying.

You have completely missed the point of the thread. In the past however you have gone easy on my transgressions, so I'll cut you some slack on this one.
  6. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    07 Apr '06 19:57
    For Chrissake's Lu Lu, I would think some one like you who is so fond of finding counterexamples would recognize what I'm saying.

You have completely missed the point of the thread. In the past however you have gone easy on my transgressions, so I'll cut you some slack on this one.
    You have completely missed the point of the thread.

It must be a theist thing, since this has eluded me too.
  7. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    07 Apr '06 20:29
    Originally posted by Halitose
    [b]You have completely missed the point of the thread.

It must be a theist thing, since this has eluded me too.[/b]
    From the OP:

"[D]oes an atheist believe in any kind of Spirituality?"

Followed by:
    "In what way then can an atheist see a supernatural world?"

Then I respond with an example of how an atheist could believe in a supernatural world. Given the way Nick uses words, "see" seemed to mean "believe in" so my response was directly related to both the OP and the immediate question.

Then Lu Lu:

"Anything but Christianity, eh?"

What? What does xianity have to do with anything? We've been talking about atheism and spirituality. His statement was out of left field. He could have asked "Anything but Islam, eh?" or "Anything but Zoroastrianism, eh?" or "Anything but Hinduism, eh?" Each one of these questions would have been just as arbitrary and tangential as the one asked in his post.

Anyway, that's what I meant by completely missing the point of the thread. I didn't feel like going off on it, but since you asked I figured I'd be more clear.
  8. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    07 Apr '06 20:471 edit
    From the OP:

"[D]oes an atheist believe in any kind of Spirituality?"

Followed by:
    "In what way then can an atheist see a supernatural world?"

Then I respond with an example of how an atheist could believe in a supernatural world. Given the way Nick uses words, "see" seemed to mean "believe in" so my response was directly related to both the OP a feel like going off on it, but since you asked I figured I'd be more clear.
    Thanks. It's quite clear now.

Hopefully your reply to this post will give the bloke who's been rec'ing all your previous posts in this thread more reason to continue. * 🙂

* Jealousy disclaimer.
  9. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    07 Apr '06 20:53
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Thanks. It's quite clear now.

Hopefully your will reply to this post will give the bloke who's been rec'ing all your previous posts in this thread more reason to continue. * 🙂

* Jealousy disclaimer.
    Since you practically begged me. 🙂
  10. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    07 Apr '06 20:57
    Since you practically begged me. 🙂
    You are too kind.

Adjusts jacket and tie

*Cough* Where were we?
  11. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    10 Apr '06 02:51
    Originally posted by Starrman
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'see', but although most of the atheists I know (me included), deny the existence of the supernatural, this doesn't mean that they have to see things this way. Atheism is strictly a denial of the existence of god(s). It says nothing about the potential for other supernatural entities to be considerable.

Personally I find ...[text shortened]... supports the views thereof, so others may not deal with the supernatural on the same basis.
    Hmmm.
    Not sure I'd agree with that.
    Strictly speaking atheism is about a lack of belief in Gods, but surely the thinking that goes into this view would also preclude supernatural effects? Certainly I do.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree