1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 00:29
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    STOP AVOIDING THE QUESTION.

If God told you to kill your wife and children, would you do it?
    Maybe I'm not playing fair, but to be honest I would probably disobey.
    But then again maybe not.

Would you?
  2. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 00:30
    Originally posted by eatmybishop
    if god asked me to kill my family i probably kill god
    EVSOA
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 00:411 edit
    Originally posted by dottewell
    1. Who do you love more - God or your family?

2. If God asked you to kill your family, would you do so?
    1. God
    2. Then He wouldn't be God.
  4. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 00:50
    Originally posted by josephw
    Maybe I'm not playing fair, but to be honest I would probably disobey.
    But then again maybe not.

Would you?
    Of course I wouldn't. But then, since I don't believe in God, it's really immaterial for me.
  5. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 00:51
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    2. Then He wouldn't be God.
    Why not? He's done it before.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 00:54
    Why not? He's done it before.
    If you say so. But you do not know much about Him if you think that. He is God the Father, not the godfather.
  7. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 00:57
    If you say so. But you do not know much about Him if you think that. He is God the Father, not the godfather.
    So God didn't tell Abraham to kill his own son then?
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 01:09
    So God didn't tell Abraham to kill his own son then?
    Not in those words. He told him to offer a burnt offering. This is a study in itself, especially the translation. In any event, to answer your question, the angel of God stopped him. It was a test. So He did not say kill or allow it to happen. A better question would be why was Abraham so obedient? I cannot say, but I have heard it taught, that Abraham was fully expecting God to raise Isaac from the dead. He thought this would be the promised Messiah of Genesis 3. It was also a forshadowing of Christ to come.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 01:18
    Originally posted by dottewell

If God asked you to kill your family, would you do so?[/b]
    Only on a bad hair day. 😛
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 01:27
    Not in those words. He told him to offer a burnt offering. This is a study in itself, especially the translation. In any event, to answer your question, the angel of God stopped him. It was a test. So He did not say kill or allow it to happen. A better question would be why was Abraham so obedient? I cannot say, but I have heard it taught, that Abraham ...[text shortened]... t this would be the promised Messiah of Genesis 3. It was also a forshadowing of Christ to come.
    Well said. I think that many here do not fully comprehend the concept of faith. If I place my faith in you I am placing my faith in you to do the right thing no matter what it may look like from the outside. I have no doubt that Abraham fully believed God cared for him and would do what is best for him even though at times what he asked of him was difficult. He simply trusted in God to fulfill his promises concerning Isaac because God had shown himself to be faithful in terms of fulfilling all of his promises to him up until that point. I really believe that Abraham did not believe that he was going to loose his son for good. Granted, it must have been a horrible delimma for him. Much like the delimma God faced when offering up his own Son. He knew that he would get him back, however, the pain of the prospect of Christ being tortured and then dying must have been horrible to say the least.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 01:33
    Originally posted by whodey
    Well said. I think that many here do not fully comprehend the concept of faith. If I place my faith in you I am placing my faith in you to do the right thing no matter what it may look like from the outside. I have no doubt that Abraham fully believed God cared for him and would do what is best for him even though at times what he asked of him was difficul ...[text shortened]... f the prospect of Christ being tortured and then dying must have been horrible to say the least.
    I end up in tears when I study the cross and the suffering of Jesus. And we are near that time of the year. One of the most compelling verses to me is Luke 22:61 when Jesus, all bloodied up "turned and looked" at Peter. I think of that when I am tempted...🙂
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 01:43
    I end up in tears when I study the cross and the suffering of Jesus. And we are near that time of the year. One of the most compelling verses to me is Luke 22:61 when Jesus, all bloodied up "turned and looked" at Peter. I think of that when I am tempted...🙂
    All I can say is that we will never fully understand the pain involved. On the one hand he was tortured physically and on the other hand he knew in advance the torture in detail that would befall him. To add insult to injury he also knew in advance that he and the Father would be seperated for the first and last time if only for a split second. I don't think that any mortal can ever understand this kind of torment.
  13. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 01:45
    Originally posted by whodey
    All I can say is that we will never fully understand the pain involved. On the one hand he was tortured physically and on the other hand he knew in advance the torture in detail that would befall him. To add insult to injury he also knew in advance that he and the Father would be seperated for the first and last time if only for a split second. I don't think that any mortal can ever understand this kind of torment.
    I have to be honest and say, that's not really all that impressive. Many people go through the situation of gross and incomprehensible pain through torture, and know about it beforehand.
    What's really the big deal about that?
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 02:011 edit
    Originally posted by amannion
    I have to be honest and say, that's not really all that impressive. Many people go through the situation of gross and incomprehensible pain through torture, and know about it beforehand.
    He knew the minute detail of the pain and death that awaited him as no mortal could ever know, not only in terms of physical pain but spiritual pain as well that to a large degree eludes us. I am not sure what is worse, is it the actual pain or the anticipation of such agony? He got the best of both worlds.

Edit: If you can tell me the last time you sweated drops of blood in aniticipation of a painful experience I might be more inclined to give more credence to your objection.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 02:02
    Originally posted by amannion
    Roman crucifixtion is the most horrible and sure death I know of. The point is He was sinless. He went through it out of love for you and me...have to call it a night...Later

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree