1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    01 Nov '07 13:46
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    But then the Bible itself is essentially meaningless on its own because the correct interpretation is essential to actually know what it means.
    There are many well known contradictions in the Bible which by any normal reading are undeniably contradictions. However, the use of secret decoder rings normally clears that problem up.
    But if it is the interpr ...[text shortened]... you imply) that there is a special perfect interpretation based on taking the Bible as a whole?
    If you say something often and loud enough, it surely must be true.
  2. Joined
    03 Oct '07
    Moves
    02 Nov '07 01:42
    We must interpret the Bible with several things as in mind. In no particular order:

1. Culturally: Who is writing (i.e. Matthew, Paul, Luke, etc.) and who is the primary intended readers of the writing. There are many things in scripture that are often misunderstood due to the fact that most people don't know anything about Jews/Israelite culture. Remember also that the Bible was written by more than one person and as such each person may have a different point of view (i.e. One writer may have seen two blind men but the other may have only been able to see one. This doesn't make the Bible contradict itself it just means that one writer didn't see everything the other writer did.)

2. Historically: When was it written. What major "world" and national events are taking place during the time that it was written. Remember the Bible was written over the course of several centuries, and as they say "time change".

3. Literally/Metaphorically: We must be able to tell (with God's help) which things are to be metaphors and which things are to be literal.

4. Spiritually: There are things in the Bible that are meant to have a specific impact on our souls and there are things that are somewhat mundane (i.e. Psalm 32 (Spiritual Impact) vs. xxx begat yyy and yyy begat zzz... (Somewhat mundane))

5. Wholly: We must take the Bible as a whole. The "OT" is incomplete without the "NT" and the "NT" is a flat out lie without the "OT". The Sacrifice of our Lord and all the events surrounding it cannot be fully understood without an in depth study of the Passover story in Exodus.

A very good example of certain groups creating a "belief system" by taking only parts of scripture and leaving out what they don't like is this. Many denominations want to say that Jesus changed the "Law" they want to claim that we are now under the "Law of Love" instead of the "old Law". If they would take the Bible as a whole they would understand that the foundation of the whole Law is Love and thus Jesus has not changed anything he only clarified what had become unclear due to the false teachings of the Pharisees and Saducees. The effect of such teaching is the "Law vs. Grace/Works vs. Faith" arguments that pop up all the time.

Another example is denominations that teach the 10 commandments and then decide to declare Sunday is the "Christian Sabbath". I guess for them 9 out of 10 is good enough.
  3. England
    Moves
    02 Nov '07 12:03
    But then the Bible itself is essentially meaningless on its own because the correct interpretation is essential to actually know what it means.

So what do you think we should do, since you have made it clear that the problem is peoples interpretation? Should we all follow your interpretation? Or do you believe (as you imply) that there is a special perfect interpretation based on taking the Bible as a whole?
    i would be very gratified by using my interpritation thank you for suggesting it. but im not that good, but striving to achive. I say this tho read the bible yourself to all then when you hear someones views look and see if they are saying something good or bad. We all can use it either way. To me the secret that it has is woth the time and effort, but there are others whom were left out they are worthy of reading, Ezra, has more to offer than it says in the bible. Tho by this should you guide, if it guides you to do good it is gods word if it does not then be wary.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Nov '07 12:37
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    If you say something often and loud enough, it surely must be true.
    Then why didn't you post that 20 times in CAPS 🙂

If you criticize people you don't like often enough without having anything of value to say then you feel better about yourself.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Nov '07 12:39
    Originally posted by stoker
    i would be very gratified by using my interpritation thank you for suggesting it. but im not that good, but striving to achive. I say this tho read the bible yourself to all then when you hear someones views look and see if they are saying something good or bad. We all can use it either way. To me the secret that it has is woth the time and effort, but there ...[text shortened]... this should you guide, if it guides you to do good it is gods word if it does not then be wary.
    Essentially you are saying that you already know what is right and wrong and what you should or should not be doing, you just enjoy reading it in the Bible. When the Bible says something you don't like you ignore it.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Nov '07 12:41
    Originally posted by SourJax
    1. Culturally: Who is writing (i.e. Matthew, Paul, Luke, etc.) and who is the primary intended readers of the writing.
    But we are told by most Christians that the Bible is the Word of God and that it is directed at everyone. If we must know who wrote it, who they were writing to and why then a significant proportion of it will never be interpreted correctly as you will never know the author or his intentions.
  7. England
    Moves
    02 Nov '07 14:01
    Essentially you are saying that you already know what is right and wrong and what you should or should not be doing, you just enjoy reading it in the Bible. When the Bible says something you don't like you ignore it.
    I wrote be wary if it should go against your belief, Yes i enjoy reading the bible and others, but killing, robbing, worship other gods, images, desire others goods , wrong Helping, giving, keeping the sabath holy,praying, working for thing you need, good, no big secret.
  8. Joined
    03 Oct '07
    Moves
    02 Nov '07 20:26
    But we are told by most Christians that the Bible is the Word of God and that it is directed at everyone. If we must know who wrote it, who they were writing to and why then a significant proportion of it will never be interpreted correctly as you will never know the author or his intentions.
    Most "Christians" only know of the Bible from what there preacher tells them. And often those preachers only know what there preachers told them, they are just regergetating scriptures and interpretations of those scriptures.

When I said you must know who wrote it I didn't mean know their name, address and DOB. You must realize who the writer is on context within the culture and history. What (other than God's choosing him) makes this author special, in other words if you were an Israelite reading/hearing what's being wrote, what makes this individual "authoritative" or someone else.

All of scripture has one of three things present Faith, Love and Obedience. Almost all of scripture can be boiled down to those three concepts. Either the author is preaching to exhort the people to do or have one of these or the author the admonishing the people for not doing or having one of these.
  9. England
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 14:21
    SOURJAX i agree christians do only hear the bible from thier priest, and take no time to study, But i disagree that priests and the like do. They do read up on most, but grenraly stick to safe passages, to highlight there sermons. Tho if you bring the situation for them they genraly have a view point. But are very careful not to give there flock more than they think they want.
  10. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 15:45
    Originally posted by stoker
    SOURJAX i agree christians do only hear the bible from thier priest, and take no time to study, But i disagree that priests and the like do. They do read up on most, but grenraly stick to safe passages, to highlight there sermons. Tho if you bring the situation for them they genraly have a view point. But are very careful not to give there flock more than they think they want.
    You will never hear a priest talk about the book of Job...its too risky apparently..... yet i visited the Salvation Army and Job was talked about in depth...i find that if you bring to light the "unsafe passages" it gets people thinking and talking more!!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree