1. Shetland Primary
    Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    11824
    28 Jun '05 12:08
    Do you know of anybody that has been raised from the dead? If so, do they talk about what they have experienced?

    Btw: I know somebody that was dead and was brought back to life. Everything that she relates is identical to that which the Bible teaches about the afterlife. I was just interested to know if an atheist has ever been raised from the dead.
  2. DonationAcolyte
    Now With Added BA
    Loughborough
    Joined
    04 Jul '02
    Moves
    3790
    28 Jun '05 12:36
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    Do you know of anybody that has been raised from the dead? If so, do they talk about what they have experienced?

    Btw: I know somebody that was dead and was brought back to life. Everything that she relates is identical to that which the Bible teaches about the afterlife. I was just interested to know if an atheist has ever been raised from the dead.
    How are you defining death? I'd say it's the irreversible cessation of bodily functions, eg if the cells in the brainstem have mostly killed themselves off. By that definition no-one can be raised from the dead. But if you use a weaker definition, like the heart stopping or long-term coma, loads of people have come back from 'death'.
  3. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Joined
    11 Sep '04
    Moves
    7707
    28 Jun '05 12:46
    Originally posted by Acolyte
    How are you defining death? I'd say it's the irreversible cessation of bodily functions, eg if the cells in the brainstem have mostly killed themselves off. By that definition no-one can be raised from the dead. But if you use a weaker definition, like the heart stopping or long-term coma, loads of people have come back from 'death'.
    except Elvis ,,,, no
  4. Shetland Primary
    Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    11824
    28 Jun '05 12:48
    Originally posted by Acolyte
    How are you defining death? I'd say it's the irreversible cessation of bodily functions, eg if the cells in the brainstem have mostly killed themselves off. By that definition no-one can be raised from the dead. But if you use a weaker definition, like the heart stopping or long-term coma, loads of people have come back from 'death'.
    OK. I would be refering to a near death experience.
  5. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39559
    28 Jun '05 12:49
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    OK. I would be refering to a near death experience.
    http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=23733

    Seems that different cultures experience their near-death experiences in light of that culture's beliefs in the hereafter.
  6. Joined
    14 Jun '04
    Moves
    2260
    28 Jun '05 12:58
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    OK. I would be refering to a near death experience.
    How do you come back to life from a near-death experience?
  7. Shetland Primary
    Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    11824
    28 Jun '05 13:031 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=23733

    Seems that different cultures experience their near-death experiences in light of that culture's beliefs in the hereafter.
    So one person claims something and its true. But if thousands claim something different then they are false🙄
  8. Shetland Primary
    Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    11824
    28 Jun '05 13:05
    Originally posted by Alpha10
    How do you come back to life from a near-death experience?
    God revives you. Else it would not have been a near-death but a certain death experience.
  9. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Joined
    06 Sep '04
    Moves
    25076
    28 Jun '05 13:19
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    God revives you. Else it would not have been a near-death but a certain death experience.
    But if you had a near-death experience surely you aren't dead. Therefore you don't 'come back' to life. You stay alive.
  10. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39559
    28 Jun '05 13:53
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    So one person claims something and its true. But if thousands claim something different then they are false🙄
    How stupid are you? The article cited in the other thread stated it was a common experience in Tibet to have "near death" experiences which were consistent with their religious beliefs. And people in the West have near death experiences consistent with what they have been taught will happen to them when they die. How hard is that to understand? It is surely "true" that people have "near death" experiences and "see" things that are consistent with what they were taught about the afterlife. That doesn't mean what they "see" has any existence outside their own minds be they Tibetans or Christians or Vikings.
  11. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Joined
    09 Sep '04
    Moves
    59422
    28 Jun '05 15:02
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Seems that different cultures experience their near-death experiences in light of that culture's beliefs in the hereafter.
    Who'd-a-thunk it? Decades of indoctrination and imagery coming back on someone as their brain is going into hypoxia? Say it ain't so, Joe!
  12. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Joined
    09 Sep '04
    Moves
    59422
    28 Jun '05 15:11
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    So one person claims something and its true. But if thousands claim something different then they are false🙄
    Quite the display of arrogance. Isn't that some type of christian no-no?
  13. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Joined
    18 Jul '04
    Moves
    8353
    28 Jun '05 16:28
    Originally posted by David C
    Quite the display of arrogance. Isn't that some type of christian no-no?
    Not arrogance Dave. Just tender Christian pity for you filty, no-good soul. It's not that he thinks less of you. It's just that it breaks his heart how such a precious child of God can be so deceived by the devil that he is as confused and shallow as you. So don't be a scum of the earth and misread the true compassionate heart of Christ for sanctimonious judgement.

    🙂
  14. Joined
    14 Jun '04
    Moves
    2260
    28 Jun '05 17:251 edit
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    God revives you. Else it would not have been a near-death but a certain death experience.
    You aren't dead in a near death experience. You're still alive. Last time I checked you had to die to be brought back to life.

    edit: Gah! Xanthos beat me to it.
  15. Shetland Primary
    Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    11824
    28 Jun '05 18:48
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    But if you had a near-death experience surely you aren't dead. Therefore you don't 'come back' to life. You stay alive.
    So you are still alive if you are medically "dead" for more than 24 hours?
Back to Top