1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Aug '14 16:41
    The meaning of the word Gospel, I gleaned from the following article. I don't have his commentary he mentions, but nevertheless it is still powerful.

"When I was just beginning to seek the Lord back in the late 60s, I remember the Lord telling me that if I could get a revelation of the first eight chapters of Romans, it would change my life. I concentrated on those scriptures for years. I read them through dozens, maybe hundreds of times, and gradually, I began to get it. Sure enough, those scriptures have changed my life as much as any in all the Word of God.

Paul put forth this radical statement in Romans 1:16: "The gospel is the power of God unto salvation." That doesn't sound as radical to us as it did to the people in Paul's day because the term gospel has become a religious cliché to us. Most people don't know what it means. In Paul's day, it was a radical way of referring to the grace of God as the means of obtaining right standing with Him.

The Greek word from which the English word "Gospel" was translated literally means, "a good message, or good news." It was in use before the writing of the New Testament, but it was very obscure. In my research, one commentator said there were only two times in all of Greek literature where this word was used. This is because it really meant more than just "good news." It was more like "nearly-too-good-to-be-true news." It was a superlative that was so fantastic that it was seldom used. However, this sensational word perfectly described what Jesus did for us; therefore, it became a common word among New Testament believers.

Today, most Christians think the word "Gospel" is just a word that identifies religious things. They relate preaching on the wrath of God and impending judgment as the Gospel, but it's not. It's true that those who don't accept the sacrifice of Jesus will spend an eternity in hell, but that's not "good news." That's certainly not "nearly-too-good-to-be-true news."

The Gospel is the "good news," that despite our sins and the judgment we deserve, God has provided complete redemption for us. Even more specifically, the word "Gospel" describes the grace that enables us to receive this forgiveness.

If I told you that I had a gift of a million dollars for you, that would be good news. That would be nearly-too-good-to-be-true news. What if I put down difficult or impossible stipulations as things you must do to receive that money? Then it would cease to be a gift. Your performance would be required so you would actually be earning the money. All your joy over the "gift" would fade away as you despaired of meeting the criteria. You would probably be upset with me. It would be better to have never been offered the money than to have it dangled in front of you and then placed out of reach through impossible demands.

That's the way it is with salvation. Just saying that Jesus provided salvation for us is not truly the "nearly-too-good-to-be-true news" unless it is emphasized that all Jesus provided is available to us by grace. The grace of God is the heart of the Gospel.

In Acts 20:24, Paul said he was testifying of "the gospel of the grace of God." He said the same thing in Galatians 1:6: "I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel." Paul equated the grace of God with the Gospel. Any statements about God or the salvation He provided, without highlighting the grace of God, are not the true Gospel.

Telling people they are going to hell if they don't repent is true, but it's not the Gospel. Even telling people that Jesus provided an escape is not the Gospel if we tell them they have to live holy lives in order to obtain that salvation. Putting any stipulations on what we have to do to acquire God's provision denies grace and, therefore, is not the Gospel.

These are radical statements! Most of the church world doesn't define the Gospel this way, but that's the way Paul defined it, that "the gospel...is the power of God unto salvation." The power that we need to get saved and obtain everything that Jesus provided for us is in the Gospel. If we seem powerless to receive, it's because we don't have a full revelation of the true Gospel. "
    AWM.org
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Aug '14 17:05
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    The meaning of the word Gospel, I gleaned from the following article. I don't have his commentary he mentions, but nevertheless it is still powerful.

"When I was just beginning to seek the Lord back in the late 60s, I remember the Lord telling me that if I could get a revelation of the first eight chapters of Romans, it would change my life. I concent ...[text shortened]... owerless to receive, it's because we don't have a full revelation of the true Gospel. "
    AWM.org
    one can take it that the Greeks had a word for good news? you think?
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    08 Aug '14 17:262 edits

"When I was just beginning to seek the Lord back in the late 60s, I remember the Lord telling me that if I could get a revelation of the first eight chapters of Romans, it would change my life. I concent ...[text shortened]... owerless to receive, it's because we don't have a full revelation of the true Gospel. "
    AWM.org
    The stupidity continues. You cannot pick out a couple verses which contain the word 'grace' or 'gospel' and put your own meaning to it.

Here is a clearer picture of what Paul was sent to do [preach the gospel yes] from the mouth of Christ himself who listed what the Gospel entailed:

And I said, Who art thou, Lord? And he said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest. But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee; Delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee, To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me. (Acts 26:15-18 KJV)

You got that? Paul was sent to preach to the Gentiles to :

1. turn them from darkness to light
    2. from the power of Satan unto God
    WHY ? SO THAT THEIR SINS CAN BE FORGIVEN AND THEY WILL GET AN INHERITANCE which is ETERNAL LIFE.

Again - Pauls duty was to turn the people away from SIN [darkness / Satan] and toward RIGHTEOUSNESS [light and God], in order for them to receive salvation.

Sin = No Salvation.

Living Righteously = Salvation.

All the fancy dancy analysis and bible twisting means nothing in the face of the truth from the mouth of Jesus Christ.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Aug '14 17:37
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    The stupidity continues. You cannot pick out a couple verses which contain the word 'grace' or 'gospel' and put your own meaning to it.

Here is a clearer picture of what Paul was sent to do [preach the gospel yes] from the mouth of Christ himself who listed what the Gospel entailed:

[i]And I said, Who art thou, Lord? And he said, I am Jesus whom thou ...[text shortened]... alysis and bible twisting means nothing in the face of the truth from the mouth of Jesus Christ.
    Are you saying you no longer sin?
  5. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    08 Aug '14 17:44
    Originally posted by KingOnPoint
    Rajk,
    If you think that you love your neighbors, then why do you criticize in the unloving way that you do it?

Do you want people to type criticism to you. Is that why you criticize others? Where is the love that you are supposed to give? I find failure in you to love your neighbor as yourself. However, if you do not love yourself the way you sho ...[text shortened]... ever be good enough to go to heaven, and neither will I. Chri9st is the Savior, not good works.
    I.e to your god, willing yourself to believe in something purely on the basis of faith is superior to being a decent human being

What a dog$hit notion of ”God” you subscribe to 😞
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    08 Aug '14 17:46
    Are you saying you no longer sin?
    Here we go .. from bible twisting to the personal questions... typical smallminded tactics.

I do not ask neither do I answer questions of a personal nature on the internet.
    I dont care to know if you checkbaiter sins or otherwise, so please do not tell me.

THE ISSUE HERE IS DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT JESUS CHRIST SENT PAUL AND THE APOSTLES TO PREACH?

It seems to me that you fail to grasp the important point Christ makes when he appeared to Paul. Paul's job was to OPEN THE EYES OF THE PEOPLE, and turn the people
    AWAY FROM SIN AND TOWARD RIGHTEOUSNESS
    AWAY FROM SATAN TO GOD
    AWAY FROM DARKNESS TO LIGHT
    So that they can get eternal life.
    Otherwise there is no eternal life.

Paul did just that and he himself acknowledged that he suceeded:

Rom 15:19 ... from Jerusalem, and round about unto Illyricum, I have fully preached the gospel of Christ.

People like you who preach some other doctrine are an insult to Jesus Christ.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Aug '14 20:08
    Here we go .. from bible twisting to the personal questions... typical smallminded tactics.

I do not ask neither do I answer questions of a personal nature on the internet.
    I dont care to know if you checkbaiter sins or otherwise, so please do not tell me.

THE ISSUE HERE IS DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT JESUS CHRIST SENT PAUL AND THE APOSTLES TO PREACH?
    ...[text shortened]... of Christ. [/i]

People like you who preach some other doctrine are an insult to Jesus Christ.
    The point being made is, are you saying you do not sin? Of course you do, we all do.
    But in your thinking, if you have any kind of sin, you lose salvation, etc.
    What if you just were killed in a car accident, what then?
    Do you understand that you are loaded down with sins you are not even aware of? We all are.
    Am I to believe that believers lose their salvation for unconfessed sin?
    What you subscribe to is ridiculous!
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Aug '14 20:15

No, so you take the EASY way out and ASSUME you know their mind.

YOU are the one who insults, and you do it Every. Single. Day.

I don't see how you can stand yourself, much less think that you hold the keys to Heaven. Frankly, I don't see how Jesus stands you twisting His words, either.

1. Love God.
    2. Love your neighbor.

These are the two greatest commandments, and you can't even do this. How dare you scold others for not following commandments.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Aug '14 20:23
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    one can take it that the Greeks had a word for good news? you think?
    Why do you point at your brother and laugh?!

I daresay you don't even do this when confronted by some of the bizarre practices you see out on the street going from door to door, and yet you do this to your Christian brother, to whom you should show love and support?

Well, there's another commandment down.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Aug '14 20:28
    The point being made is, are you saying you do not sin? Of course you do, we all do.
    Do you understand that you are loaded down with sins you are not even aware of? We all are.
    Ask him why he dares to criticize his Christian brothers when he himself doesn't follow the commandments of Christ that he demands that everyone else follow.

There is a difference between him and Paul. Paul not only "talked the talk", but he "walked the walk".

I think maybe he better pray for some humility, and fast.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Aug '14 20:34
    Clearly you do not understand the expression 'love your neighbour'. It cannot possibly mean that one must tolerate the false doctrines spouted by the likes of you and sonship?
    Why don't you just re-read his post and then, I don't know, try to pretend he's actually talking to YOU. We're not blind, we see what you reap. Too bad you can't. It must be that beam still in your own eye.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Aug '14 20:46
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    It is the rendering of the Greek evangelion, i.e., "good message." Why it should be imbued with superstition is hard to say.
    Because language is not dead. This is what is wrong with your textbook definitions and translations, you leave no room for usage, for real meaning, for the way the people actually talked, for colloquialisms. You translate in a cold, dead way that is not how the gospel writers meant it.

Like much of what you say in these forums, it comes from your head, but not your heart. You would think you'd have learned this by now. But no, you'd rather stand on your little soapbox and say "My way or the highway!"

And this doesn't even begin to cover your own hidden agenda, your own twisting of words to achieve your own ends, like we see on the Clans forum.

And you wonder why people here think you're stupid.
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    08 Aug '14 20:54
    I never said this .."But in your thinking, if you have any kind of sin, you lose salvation, etc..

But you and your clan makes statements along the lines that
    - you dont have to account for any sin
    - all your sins are covered

What I have repeatedly said is the same thing that the Bible says over and over. That there comes a point in the life of the Christian whose sins are so grevious that there is NO MORE ROOM FOR FORGIVENESS.

So clearly some sins are tolerable but some are not. Who knows which ??? Only God knows. So to claim that ALL your sins are covered and you will escape punishment is just wishful thinking.

You can chose to go along with the Bible ie Christ and the Apostles or go along with the popular crowd .. your choice. Im not in any popularity contest. Who dislikes what I write .. tough.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Aug '14 01:26
    I never said this .."But in your thinking, if you have any kind of sin, you lose salvation, etc..

But you and your clan makes statements along the lines that
    - you dont have to account for any sin
    - all your sins are covered

What I have repeatedly said is the same thing that the Bible says over and over. That there comes a point in the life ...[text shortened]... ular crowd .. your choice. Im not in any popularity contest. Who dislikes what I write .. tough.
    So now you seem to be implying that the sacrifice of the Son of God, was partial or limited or not enough. Which is it?
    My bible says his sacrifice was to forgive all sins for the whole world for all time. One drop of Jesus sacrificial atonement was enough to pay for all sin! He far exceeded that.
    Praise God for his unspeakable gift of salvation which is by grace through faith, not of works, lest anyone should boast!
  15. PenTesting
    Moves
    09 Aug '14 02:06
    ..My bible says his sacrifice was to forgive all sins for the whole world for all time...
    Show me that verse.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree