1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 09:10
    Did you know that the theme of women having extramarital liaisons with monks was common in both Eastern & Western medieval literature? In addition, Buddhist monks were also often satirised as having the same vices traditionally attributed to Christian monks, namely, being fat, corrupt, greedy, lazy good-for-nothing parasites on the body politic. From this I conclude that however attractive the underlying principles of a religion, ultimately human nature holds the aces.
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 09:42
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Did you know that the theme of women having extramarital liaisons with monks was common in both Eastern & Western medieval literature? In addition, Buddhist monks were also often satirised as having the same vices traditionally attributed to Christian monks, namely, being fat, corrupt, greedy, lazy good-for-nothing parasites on the body politic. From ...[text shortened]... ever attractive the underlying principles of a religion, ultimately human nature holds the aces.
    but some know kung fu!
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 10:06
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    but some know kung fu!
    Yes, that does make the Eastern monks more interesting -- and more attractive to women, I presume.

Why didn't a warrior monk tradition or martial arts in general not develop in the West? The Eastern approach to integrating 'body, mind & spirit' has distinct advantages over the more cerebral approach of Western monks brewing beer in their hair shirts.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 10:15
    Did you know that the theme of women having extramarital liaisons with monks was common in both Eastern & Western medieval literature? In addition, Buddhist monks were also often satirised as having the same vices traditionally attributed to Christian monks, namely, being fat, corrupt, greedy, lazy good-for-nothing parasites on the body politic. From ...[text shortened]... ever attractive the underlying principles of a religion, ultimately human nature holds the aces.
    So basically, satires are always true and sound generalisations can always be drawn from them?
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 10:32
    Yes, that does make the Eastern monks more interesting -- and more attractive to women, I presume.

Why didn't a warrior monk tradition or martial arts in general not develop in the West? The Eastern approach to integrating 'body, mind & spirit' has distinct advantages over the more cerebral approach of Western monks brewing beer in their hair shirts.
    i suppose the buddhist emphasize self-growth, surpassing one self. so they weren't afraid to learn kung-fu. also they were remote and didn't enjoy the protection of the government and the population like the western monks did. so also they had to protect themselves.

christian monks were supposed to devote their entire lives to obedience to god. in fact that was basically the whole religion. so little time (and reluctant to try anything new for fear of heresy).

these are some ideas maybe they are not so accurate.

the immoral monks though are deviants from the idea of monkhood and should be treated as exceptions.
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 10:42
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    So basically, satires are always true and sound generalisations can always be drawn from them?
    Absolutely. Next question?
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 11:58
    It depends on the teachings of the particular religion/sect. If a monk is taught that it is virtuous to control the immoral and carnal desires of the body then religion will have the desired effect. Sometimes however the idea that one can sin and seek forgiveness over and over without penaly then human weaknesses are likely to prevail.
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 15:03
    I think mediaeval monks in Europe were really concerned with knowledge.

They kept alive reading, writing, medicine and most importantly brewing. 😵
  9. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 15:291 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I think mediaeval monks in Europe were really concerned with knowledge.

They kept alive reading, writing, medicine and most importantly brewing. 😵
    Yes exactly! It is the art of brewing that is the greatest contribution of monasticism. There are still some great monastary/breweries that one can visit in various parts of Europe like Andechs in Bavaria, Klosterbrau in Franconia, and quite a few others. There is a brewing museum in Bamberg, Germany that was once a monastary that I reckon every beer lover should visit. They have a section about hops. One of the many affects of hops on beer, they claim, was that it acts as an anti-aphrodesiac so they would add more hops to the beer to try and dissaude the monks from jumping the nuns. Apparently it didn't work too well since they found a small tunnel near the old brewery where dozens of infant skeltons were found.
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 15:35
    My favorite Monkee was Peter Tork. He was reportedly very randy, although I'm not sure if he knew kung fu.
  11. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 04:35
    I like the fact that monks brewed beer 🙂

Manny

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree