Moves
    09 Dec '05 17:47
    Originally posted by vistesd

EDIT: I just realized that you might've been referring to God knowing... 🙂
    That I might have been!
  2. Halifax, NS
    Moves
    09 Dec '05 18:07
    I think it's YHVH (or YHWH) in scriptures. This is the name of the god of Israel. God (capital G) points out the supremacy of their god, whose name is YHWH (which most Jews wouldn't say). They usually say Adonai instead, meaning lord, as has already been pointed out.

I've read that when translating they took the vowels from Adonai and put them into YHWH in order to help people pronounce something, instead of YHWH, which really you can't pronounce.

So it was YHWH (or YHVH) with A-O-A interjected, giving YAHOWAH or YAHOVAH. The V/W thing I think is more recent, since at the times of translation, only one of those letters even existed (likely V). Likewise, Y/J is a more modern thing. So now we have JAHOVAH, or Jehovah.
  3. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    09 Dec '05 18:19
    Originally posted by joelek
    I think it's YHVH (or YHWH) in scriptures. This is the name of the god of Israel. God (capital G) points out the supremacy of their god, whose name is YHWH (which most Jews wouldn't say). They usually say Adonai instead, meaning lord, as has already been pointed out.

I've read that when translating they took the vowels from Adonai and put them into ...[text shortened]... existed (likely V). Likewise, Y/J is a more modern thing. So now we have JAHOVAH, or Jehovah.
    I've read that when translating they took the vowels from Adonai and put them into YHWH in order to help people pronounce something, instead of YHWH, which really you can't pronounce.

Yes, and that's (at least sometimes) how you see it written in the "pointed" (that is, with vowel points) Hebrew text.
  4. Forgotten
    Moves
    09 Dec '05 18:31
    certain events and things are needed or expected to happen before the rapture
    so i guess an index makes sense
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    09 Dec '05 18:49
    Originally posted by aspviper666
    Not true.
    He could have come back three seconds after ascending.
    He may not come back for eight million years.
    The doctrine of the rapture has always been one of imminence, not relying upon or requiring prophecy, which itself has been silenced since the completion of the canon of Scripture, roughly 96-100 AD.
  6. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    09 Dec '05 19:46

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    09 Dec '05 22:41
    Originally posted by aspviper666
    Certain thing are expected to happen, yes.

But an index makes no sense to me, primarily because in my view the Bible doesn't give a list with the kind of detail you would need to be confident in ticking things off the list.

It's all very well deciding to equate the EU with the Beast. Heck, they might even be right. But they could also be awfully wrong.

It's actually pretty arrogant to assume that our lifetime is the right lifetime for the end to come. People have been predicting the end for CENTURIES, doing the exact same thing - ticking off lists, and ignoring the passage that says it will be 'like a thief in the night'. They got it wrong in the Middle Ages, what makes these people think they are any better at interpreting events now?

They should stop focusing on what's coming and spend a little more time on the here and now, methinks. Eternal life is not an excuse to withdraw from this one.
  8. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    09 Dec '05 22:46
    Okay, now I've followed the link in the article to the actual rapture index website.

These people are crazy and God is up there with his head in his hands saying "why are some of my children such LOSERS?"

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree