1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 04:05
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Wrong. If they can substantiate their work it passes into the literature. It's only when they make baseless assertions, such as your friend Behe, that they discredit themselves.
    Scott, I hate to bring the bad news to you, but it's just a matter of time before the tide turns and evolution as it currently is pushed will be yesterday's embarrassment.
  2. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 04:06
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Scott, I hate to bring the bad news to you, but it's just a matter of time before the tide turns and evolution as it currently is pushed will be yesterday's embarrassment.
    Keep telling yourself that. Evolutionary theory will outlast both you and I.
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 04:07
    Keep telling yourself that. Evolutionary theory will outlast both you and I.
    Not in it's current form.
  4. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 04:08
    Not in it's current form.
    Oh, perhaps we'll find some new things out, and perhaps refine some of our ideas, but I don't think there are any major surprises.
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 04:28
    Oh, perhaps we'll find some new things out, and perhaps refine some of our ideas, but I don't think there are any major surprises.
    It's certainly not a surprise; it's been known for years. There is no mechanism.
  6. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 04:29
    It's certainly not a surprise; it's been known for years. There is no mechanism.
    Certainly not in your mind.
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 04:33
    Certainly not in your mind.
    And we know how vast that space is, don't we.
  8. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 04:39
    And we know how vast that space is, don't we.
    Space? Vast and empty.
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 04:42
    Space? Vast and empty.
    Thanks for not leaving me hanging.
  10. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 04:48
    Thanks for not leaving me hanging.
    Oh?! I thought you meant the place, or lack of it.

Only kidding Freaky, you knows I loves ya really, but you gotta come off this whole "lack of mechanism" thing; you're just plain wrong.
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 04:58
    Oh?! I thought you meant the place, or lack of it.

Only kidding Freaky, you knows I loves ya really, but you gotta come off this whole "lack of mechanism" thing; you're just plain wrong.
    I'm probably just not very good at decribing it, or you would have already understood the point behind the argument by now. But it's impossible for the mechanism to be its own impetus.

For instance, can a brain imagine itself into existence? That's essentially what we are saying when we say that natural selection is the cause of... natural selection. Process, force, mechanism?
  12. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 05:57
    I'm probably just not very good at decribing it, or you would have already understood the point behind the argument by now. But it's impossible for the mechanism to be its own impetus.

For instance, can a brain imagine itself into existence? That's essentially what we are saying when we say that natural selection is the cause of... natural selection. Process, force, mechanism?
    No, your argument is that you shouldn't die when hit by a bus because there is no mechanism.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 06:45
    The mechanism of natural selection is not only well known but mathematically proven to work. You may argue that life came about by other means but if you claim that natural selection is not a working mechanism then you are just ignorant.
  14. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 08:47

You don't love me too? :'(
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 14:12
    You don't love me too? :'(
    I thought it was a given. Sorry to leave you hanging! 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree