Rational Proofs

Rational Proofs

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jew.

Moves
18 Jun 06
1 edit

Jew.

Moves
18 Jun 06

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
19 Jun 06

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Don't let him fool ya: Scott believes. He's just angry. Same thing for all the other atheists/agnostics.
This is inaccurate. I'm not angry -- there is little I like more than hippies, hugs and harmony, and yet in my mind, I do not believe, for reasons having nothing to do with anger or any other emotion. What is your basis for the claim that atheists are a group of angry people, rather than a group of those who reject affirmative propositions about the existence of god?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
20 Jun 06

Originally posted by royalchicken
This is inaccurate. I'm not angry -- there is little I like more than hippies, hugs and harmony, and yet in my mind, I do not believe, for reasons having nothing to do with anger or any other emotion. What is your basis for the claim that atheists are a group of angry people, rather than a group of those who reject affirmative propositions about the existence of god?
I believe Freaky is secretly atheist but has been lying to himself. The only way he can maintain any grip on his faith is to ridicule other atheists.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
20 Jun 06

Originally posted by royalchicken
What is your basis for the claim that atheists are a group of angry people, rather than a group of those who reject affirmative propositions about the existence of god?
Well, for one, there is no logical basis for their bother. For another, a simple read thru this forum's threads will confirm that their overall tenor is one of disproportionate emotions. And, lastly, because I said so, which--- in and of itself--- ought to be enough for any rational adult with normal reasoning abilities.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
20 Jun 06

Originally posted by Conrau K
I believe Freaky is secretly atheist but has been lying to himself. The only way he can maintain any grip on his faith is to ridicule other atheists.
Your beliefs are without support. Please re-group and come up with a more plausible answer for my unbridled sarcasm.

m

Moves
20 Jun 06

Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him. For he that draws near to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them who seek him out. (Darby Translation)

1. To know God exists you have to first believe that He exists.
2. Then you have to seek Him.

Despite all the miracles Israel saw in the Old Testament, they still refused to believe a lot of things. After all the miracles Jesus did, many refused to believe on Him. At the end of His reign on earth (described in Revelation), there will be those who actually saw Him return and lived under His rule, and they will still rebel.

Point: God has offered proof and many still refuse to believe. So…..

1 Corinthians 1:18-24
18. For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
……. it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
22. For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
23. But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
24. But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.

S

Moves
20 Jun 06

[b]What is your basis for the claim that atheists are a group of angry people, rather than a group of those who reject affirmative propositions about the existence of god?
Well, for one, there is no logical basis for their bother. For another, a simple read thru this forum's threads will confirm that their overall tenor is one of disproportionate emo ...[text shortened]... in and of itself--- ought to be enough for any rational adult with normal reasoning abilities.[/b]
I am not angry, I know many christians who exhibit more anger than me. Even if I were angry, it would not be at something I do not acknowledge as having the potential for existence, that really would be silly.

Why do you think there is no logic for their bother? (bother?)
I disagree there is a disproportion of emotion.
I sometimes find it hard to work out whether you are being amusingly sarcastic, or deluded and arrogant.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
20 Jun 06

Your beliefs are without support. Please re-group and come up with a more plausible answer for my unbridled sarcasm.
Your retort is completely untenable and lacks any recognition of the substance in my comment.

Sorry just trying to make my post as verbose as yours. 🙂

But you have to admit, it is very compelling to question why you constantly lampoon other atheists.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
21 Jun 06

Originally posted by Starrman
I am not angry, I know many christians who exhibit more anger than me. Even if I were angry, it would not be at something I do not acknowledge as having the potential for existence, that really would be silly.

I disagree there is a disproportion of emotion.
I sometimes find it hard to work out whether you are being amusingly sarcastic, or deluded and arrogant.
I used 'bother' because it seems to most fit for the activities that said atheists/agnostics busy themselves with in this forum, and (it can be assumed from the posts) in their lives.

Why make a claim if there is nothing to make a claim about? If, in the course of a conversation, someone began a discussion about FSM, I'd simply shrug and say something along the lines of, "Haven't really given it much thought, thanks," and would then begin planning my exit.
But I certainly wouldn't start an anti-FSM club, would not spend eons of time formulating a non-faith statement, or come up with witty slogans to put on shirts castigating the FSM faithful. Really, why bother?

You and me both.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
21 Jun 06

Your retort is completely untenable and lacks any recognition of the substance in my comment.

Sorry just trying to make my post as verbose as yours. 🙂

But you have to admit, it is very compelling to question why you constantly lampoon other atheists.
Sorry just trying to make my post as verbose as yours.
Nicely done.

The biggest reason is I like sounding smart.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
21 Jun 06

Why is there no rational proof for God?
Surely God, a being who is omnipotent - over logic as well - would make it easier for people to be certain of His existence. Why is that people like scottishinnz are deprived of knowing God just because they were endowed with an empirical intellect? (I could point to many atheists on this site, where the question st ...[text shortened]... aith so abstract and implausible thatit is almost impossible for scottishinnz to believe in it.
Faith is something we all live with. We don't know everything, we know
in part and we move on with our lives believing what we will about life
and the universe. God if He didn't want faith would simply reveal
Himself and that would be that, but for whatever reason He choices
not to. My guess is so that we have the ability to do what we will, in
the here and now with the freedom we have. People don't speed when
they see the traffic cop sitting beside the road with his radar gun,
but they feel quite able to do so when they think they are alone.
Kelly

S

Moves
22 Jun 06

[b]Why do you think there is no logic for their bother? (bother?)
I used 'bother' because it seems to most fit for the activities that said atheists/agnostics busy themselves with in this forum, and (it can be assumed from the posts) in their lives.

Why make a claim if there is nothing to make a claim about? If, in the course of a conversation, so ...[text shortened]... whether you are being amusingly sarcastic, or deluded and arrogant.[/b]
You and me both.[/b]
I find the subject of god fascinating. Not from a point of belief necessarily, but from the points of logic and psychology. I state the nature of my atheism in order that my conversation flows from such a standpoint and I do not end up confusing either myself or others.

Talking about the subject does not require any qualifications. And, I might add, if atheists were not here, this forum would devolve into a massive circle-jerk.

Cape Town

Moves
22 Jun 06

Why make a claim if there is nothing to make a claim about? If, in the course of a conversation, someone began a discussion about FSM, I'd simply shrug and say something along the lines of, "Haven't really given it much thought, thanks," and would then begin planning my exit.
But I certainly wouldn't start an anti-FSM club, would not spend eons of time f ...[text shortened]... e up with witty slogans to put on shirts castigating the FSM faithful. Really, why bother?
So how do you explain the whole Inteligent Design movement and the amount of effort and money that goes into trying to discredit evolution?

l

London

Moves
22 Jun 06

Originally posted by twhitehead
So how do you explain the whole Inteligent Design movement and the amount of effort and money that goes into trying to discredit evolution?
Good question.

Personally, I believe in Intelligent Design - but I believe in ID through evolution. So I don't see it as an either/or situation.

If there are certain cases where "standard" evolutionary theory does not appear to work, then I think those should be called out. That's not attempting to discredit evolution - that's good science.