1. Standard memberKnightWulfe
    Chess Samurai
    Yes
    Moves
    06 Dec '05 21:09
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Assuming the posts you made here are indicative of your study of history, you either: A) Would badly lose that wager; or B) Have been "studying" junk, popular history (i.e. "Columbus discovered America" type crap).
    As you wish to believe. Not going to start a pissing contest with you.
  2. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    06 Dec '05 21:12

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Standard memberKnightWulfe
    Chess Samurai
    Yes
    Moves
    06 Dec '05 21:15
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    How's that joke go? "If there's grass in the infield, play ball!"
    Yea...I think that is how it goes!!! hehe
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 00:38
    Originally posted by darvlay
    What does RBHILL mean when he says "You are not saved so you don't understand"?

There was a time in my life when I went to a Pentecostal Church and could be considered "born again". Granted, I was very young (13 or 14) but at the time I didn't feel like I had supernatural powers of understanding, nor did I feel that I knew some secret that others d ...[text shortened]... to his service then how does he win any souls and how can he claim that he loves us all equally?
    Why does RBHILL have a picture of a "Christian" T-Shirt on his profile page, which is a rip-off of the design of the Reese's Peanut Butter Cup packaging? http://www.christian-t-shirt.com/images/aptswe-frnt.jpg

If Christian God can design the whole universe, surely his followers shouldn't have to stoop to stealing ideas from candy makers.
  5. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 03:16
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    As usual, when your theology lapses into incoherence, you simply change your claims. You stated:

The entire NT was written to people who already believed

But Jesus said to preach the Gospel to ALL people. Therefore, ergo, you are wrong or Jesus is wrong. Which is it?

Besides that, you are not merely claiming that unbelieve ...[text shortened]... Gospels, but are actually unable to. Please actually stick to your claims for more than a page.
    Your ignorance is appalling.

The Gospel is different from the Gospels. The Gospels are the part of the NT canon that deal with Jesus' ministry, death, and resurrection in detail. The Gospel is the "good news" that is to be preached to the world.

Everyone can understand the good news. Only Christians can understand the New Testament because it is for the Christian's growth and edification.
  6. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 03:221 edit
    Originally posted by Darfius

The Gospel is different from the Gospels. The Gospels are the part of the NT canon that deal with Jesus' ministry, death, and resurrection in detail. The Gospel is the "good news" that is to be preached to the world.

Everyone can understand the good news. Only Christians can understand the New Testament because it is for the Christian's growth and edification.
    Some things never change, eh, Darfius? Still living in your self-contained fantasy world of nymphomanaical aliens and secret decoder rings? At least it's nice to know the Bible program at UT-D hasn't suddenly become reputable.

That's my welcome back. I'll harrass you some more if I can be bothered a couple weeks from now.

Edit: By the way, I'm a True Christian now so watch out. I have the True Secret Decoder Ring. If you disagree with me you are ignorant and cannot understand the NT. Stalemate.
  7. Not Kansas
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 03:31
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Even contradictions.
    The name of the game.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 04:16
    Originally posted by Darfius

How stupid are you??? Jesus' life and teachings are the GOSPEL. The Gospels in the NT are called that for a reason; they are a compilation of Jesus' message. I've never met a "Christian" who disregarded Jesus' message as much as you do.

The idea that only "Christians" can understand the New Testament is utterly bizarre. The NT was compiled to bring the message to both believers and unbelievers unlike. Your pseudo-Gnosticism i.e. the belief that there is some "secret" knowledge that only "Christians" can possess is no part of actual Christianity. It is creation by individuals like yourself who possess the arrogance and hubris to place themselves over the rest of mankind. You're a very sick man, Darfius.
  9. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 04:22
    Wow some of the stuff I've been reading blows me away. You can understand the new testament from a purely intelectual point of view to say otherwise is just stupidity. While you can read it from a spritual point of view it can be understood academically. A question for Christians who believe that the new testament can only be understood by believers then explain the whole gideons thing where Bibles our put in hotel rooms or whatever and people read them and become converted ?? Just a question. Manny
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 05:39
    Originally posted by menace71
    You can understand the new testament from a purely intelectual point of view to say otherwise is just stupidity. While you can read it from a spritual point of view it can be understood academically.
    Certain passages of the NT, once translated, are discernable for an unbeliever, academically-speaking. For instance, an unbeliever can read 1 John 1:9, and academically understand that:
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
    Breaking it down shouldn't be too difficult, as it is in the reader's language, and the meaning is pretty much straight forward.
    But there is more to the verse than what can be topically understood. Who is the 'we?'
    What is 'confess,' and what is the protocol for the same?
    What is 'sin?'
    Why 'faithful' AND 'just?'
    Why 'forgive' AND 'cleanse?'
    What is 'forgive?' What is 'cleanse?'
    What is 'unrighteousness' in juxtaposition to 'sin?'
    And this is a doctrine on the most basic of levels, 1+1 in a world of calculus and advanced mathematics.
    Wait until the unbeliever tries their hand at Ephesians! It's difficult enough for the believer being accurately guided. It is impossible for the unbeliever, regardless of their effort or intelligence to glean anything more than a topical understanding of the words. A superficial knowledge of the text will be the best an unbeliever can hope for, and for that, they may as well be reading the white pages of the phone book.
    Does that make the doctrine therein mystery, or better, musterious? Absolutely, and for good reason.
    The unbeliever has the gospel as their only contact with God, and as such, that message is wholly understandable: believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved.
    Once saved, they now have access to the mystery doctrine, that which was hidden from even the highest ranking OT believers...
    all in plain sight.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 05:45
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Certain passages of the NT, once translated, are discernable for an unbeliever, academically-speaking. For instance, an unbeliever can read 1 John 1:9, and academically understand that:
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
    Breaking it down shouldn't be too difficult, as it is in ...[text shortened]... ctrine, that which was hidden from even the highest ranking OT believers...
    all in plain sight.
    Hooey and bunk.
  12. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 06:47
    Once saved, they now have access to the mystery doctrine, that which was hidden from even the highest ranking OT believers...
    all in plain sight.
    LOL!

The decoder ring theory lives on.
  13. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 11:56
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    LOL!

The decoder ring theory lives on.
    As stated, the best way to determine the veracity of the statement is for an unbeliever to turn to any passage of Scripture and exegete away. They will be lost almost immediately after salutations.
    In order for even a Christian to accurately understand the mystery doctrines, they must be guided by a pastor who has studied so as to reveal himself as approved.
    There is no human way of cohesively understanding the NT. Beyond those parts of the Gospel directly dealing with the issue of salvation, even the topical cognizance of the words therein will result in a hodgepodge of confusion, thus the many denominational foul-ups.
  14. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 12:10
    As stated, the best way to determine the veracity of the statement is for an unbeliever to turn to any passage of Scripture and exegete away. They will be lost almost immediately after salutations.
    In order for even a Christian to accurately understand the mystery doctrines, they must be guided by a pastor who has studied so as to reveal himself as appro ...[text shortened]... e words therein will result in a hodgepodge of confusion, thus the many denominational foul-ups.
    What a load. There are many scholars out there, who in themselves are not religious but are religious scholars. Are you seriously saying that they don't as good a knowledge as you - or even a pastor or priest or minister (depending on your denomination)? Sure, priests may have a different interpretation of these texts, mainly because a true scholar always treats his subject with a slight distrust. It's precisely this that makes him get up every day and search harder than the previous one. A preist seeks only the message, and does not seek to dissect every word and phrase of the bible, in search of 'the truth'.
  15. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 15:28
    In order for even a Christian to accurately understand the mystery doctrines, they must be guided by a pastor who has studied so as to reveal himself as appro ...[text shortened]... e words therein will result in a hodgepodge of confusion, thus the many denominational foul-ups.
    After reading Freaky's last two posts, I think I understand now.

First, only an ordained pastor can translate from Greek to English. That pastor learned Greek from another pastor who learned it from a pastor before him.

Bottom line: only pastors know Greek.

Second, only an ordained pastor can read English. That pastor learned to read English from another pastor who learned it from a pastor before him.

Bottom line: only pastors know English.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree