1. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 17:33
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    As stated, the best way to determine the veracity of the statement is for an unbeliever to turn to any passage of Scripture and exegete away. They will be lost almost immediately after salutations.
    In order for even a Christian to accurately understand the mystery doctrines, they must be guided by a pastor who has studied so as to reveal himself as appro ...[text shortened]... e words therein will result in a hodgepodge of confusion, thus the many denominational foul-ups.
    With all due respect, this is utter crap.

Belief and understanding do not necessarily (or often!) go hand in hand.

Nemesio
  2. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 18:06
    Originally posted by Nemesio

Nemesio
    It's "Emperor's New Clothes Syndrome."

A lot of naked xian fundamentalists around here.
  3. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    07 Dec '05 18:31
    Another problem I have is that alot of Christians that read the bible in general out of context and the new testament in paticular. I like to say the so called modern christian or cookie cutter Christians do this. The don't understand history or the times in which the N.T. was written. Why a certain style of writting was used like the book of revelation for example. It is frustating to me that most christians I come across just through their brains away. I've listened to so called trained pastors and what comes out of their mouths is drivel. If like others have said the bible is God's message to the world then it can be understood is all I'm getting at. Manny
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    08 Dec '05 05:101 edit
    Originally posted by telerion
    After reading Freaky's last two posts, I think I understand now.
    Bottom line: only pastors know English.
    Clearly, your understanding is amiss.
    Translating Greek into English, while requiring a modicum of study, is do-able by any so inclined.
    Translating classical Greek, as well as the Chaldean involved in the NT, is do-able again, requiring a bit more study, if accuracy is the goal.
    Understanding the literature of the epistles from the apostles is only do-able by the studied pastor, ordained (approved) by God.
    Understanding the teaching of the ordained, studied pastor is the monopoly of the Spirit-filled believer.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    08 Dec '05 05:12
    Translating Greek into English, while requiring a modicum of study, is do-able by any so inclined.
    Translating classical Greek, as well as the Chaldean involved in the NT, is do-able again, requiring a bit more study, if accuracy is the goal.
    Understanding the literature of the epistles from the apostles is only do- ...[text shortened]... ding the teaching of the ordained, studied pastor is the monopoly of the Spirit-filled believer.

i.e. You're full of crap.
  6. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    08 Dec '05 05:151 edit
    Understanding the literature of the epistles from the apostles is only do-able by the studied pastor, ordained (approved) by God.
    Understanding the teaching of the ordained, studied pastor is the monopoly of the Spirit-filled believer.
    Rubbish.
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    08 Dec '05 05:16

Nemesio
    I did not intend to infer that they do.
    I did intend to contend that an unbeliever cannot even begin to understand (and has already stated their intent to not believe), any passage of the NT (with the notable exceptions already mentioned).
    Incidentally, all of the NT, for the believer, is understandable, and is not dependent even upon their IQ, or lack thereof.
    All that is required on the believer's part, is for the status of being Spirit-filled.
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    08 Dec '05 05:17
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Rubbish.
    One word, one edit.
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    08 Dec '05 05:17
    Originally posted by no1marauder

i.e. You're full of crap.
    Quality argument from a quality source.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    08 Dec '05 05:19
    I did not intend to infer that they do.
    I did intend to contend that an unbeliever cannot even begin to understand (and has already stated their intent to not believe), any passage of the NT (with the notable exceptions already mentioned).
    Incidentally, all of the NT, for the believer, is understandable, and is not dependent even upon their IQ, or lack thereof.
    All that is required on the believer's part, is for the status of being Spirit-filled.
    Believe what you want, but believing that makes you a non-Christian.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    08 Dec '05 05:21
    Quality argument from a quality source.
    You supposedly joined three days ago; how would you know anything about the quality of the source? You wouldn't be Darfius on a second account would you? Or would that be another part of your "mystery" religion?
  12. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    08 Dec '05 05:22

Nemesio
    I want to say I agree but at least on a basic level - understanding must be prior to belief. You can not believe a statement if you do not understand what it says. However, most people do not examine these beliefs or understand their full implications. The might know "cats have whiskers" because they understand the terms and the relationship between cats and whiskers. And they may correctly deduce that if all cats have whiskers - then my neighbor's cat has whiskers.

But ask somebody if men have free will and they will immediately say yes, and they may have a fairly correct understanding of what free will means, but may not understand the all the implications of believing this.
  13. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    08 Dec '05 05:24
    You supposedly joined three days ago; how would you know anything about the quality of the source? You wouldn't be Darfius on a second account would you? Or would that be another part of your "mystery" religion?
    These forums are not closed to the public. Although I can't imagine why anyone would read them. 🙂
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    08 Dec '05 05:28
    Originally posted by Coletti
    These forums are not closed to the public. Although I can't imagine why anyone would read them. 🙂
    This type of thing has happened before; a username that supposedly joined a few days ago starts posting in the forums showing a familiarity with other posters that they couldn't have gained in a short time. They are almost invariably shown to be second accounts in violation of site rules.
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    08 Dec '05 05:30
    The question of the quality of the source was reflective of your sophomoric comments, nothing else.
    I have read a few of Darfius' posts, and, while I agree with those I have read, we have no relation of which I am aware.
    What I have read of your nom de plume, however, suggests your sense of decorum is, shall we say, wanting.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree