1. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    11 Aug '07 08:06
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/G/GAY_FUNERAL?SITE=KYLOU&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
  2. USA
    Moves
    11 Aug '07 13:04

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    11 Aug '07 15:02
    Either Jesus fulfilled Levitical law, or he did not. Therefore, I better not see any of these homo-hatin' "religious" types eating shellfish or sportin' tattoos. Can't cherry-pick your commandments.
  4. Illinois
    Moves
    11 Aug '07 17:101 edit
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/G/GAY_FUNERAL?SITE=KYLOU&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
    It was completely irresponsible of them to cancel services THE DAY BEFORE the funeral!!!! I buried my father a few months ago, and it was a great comfort to me having the church help with the arrangements, etc. If they bailed on me the day prior to the service, it would have been catastrophic! I can't imagine the audacity...

If they didn't have anything good to say about Mr. Sinclair's homosexuality, they at least could have made an attempt to honor him in other ways (for his military service, etc.), if for anything out of respect for those who loved him.

EDIT: I believe God put that church in such an awkward position for a reason. It was a test. Judge not. They failed.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Aug '07 18:22
    🙂😀😉😛😕😠😳🙁:'(😞😏😵😲🙄😴

How's that for a reaction?
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Aug '07 19:221 edit
    I guess it depends on how it is looked at; if it is just look at the life,
    we are sad he passed it was wrong to cancel it. If those of that church
    thought it was being taken as something along the lines of this is a
    church service, than they may have thought it could be seen as a
    blessing of that life style. Why should it be a surprise that some
    would not want that done at their church when many believe myself
    included that Biblical doctrine does not permit that lifestyle it views it
    as sin. If the church leadership viewed the two are not compatible why
    should one be force to acknowledge the other?

That church doesn’t force people into accepting their views you attend
    there or you don’t, so if a funeral is a sacred event to them they more
    than likely felt they cannot honor those that reject God’s Word. I
    would not have cancelled it, because I view all life as important, but I
    do not judge those that did as doing anything wrong, they are walking
    out their faith as the gentleman that was gay who felt there was
    nothing wrong with how he lived. If you want to condemn them for
    their beliefs you shouldn't be surprised if others condemn those that
    view the gay lifestyle as sinful either. We all have our beliefs, when we
    rub shoulders with one another these things happen, so I don’t know
    why they wanted a church service, but I’m sure there are those that
    would do it for them.
    Kelly
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    11 Aug '07 21:12
    Originally posted by whodey
    🙂😀😉😛😕😠😳🙁:'(😞😏😵😲🙄😴

How's that for a reaction?
    Get serious.
  8. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    11 Aug '07 21:14
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I guess it depends on how it is looked at; if it is just look at the life,
    we are sad he passed it was wrong to cancel it. If those of that church
    thought it was being taken as something along the lines of this is a
    church service, than they may have thought it could be seen as a
    blessing of that life style. Why should it be a surprise that some
    would ...[text shortened]... y they wanted a church service, but I’m sure there are those that
    would do it for them.
    Kelly
    You ask an excellent question that I'm sure many people ask. Why would such an individual want a funeral in a church.? I'll take a stab at it. Gay people are like many other people in that they participate in church and find community and comfort in it. Having a funeral in a church (which I regret society is moving away from) is a way to say that the church has something to say at this moment in life that is meaningful. In much the same way that some people may spread ashes on a mountain or the person's favorite place, the church can also serve in that function. Now this man was gay and it may be that he had a signficant other and it is no different from an 80 year old man who died who has a surviving wife in that I'm sure it is appropiate to acknowledge and honor that relationship as a big piece of the funeral.

I wonder if he had been a murderer or had an affair at some time or for that matter been obese if it would have been a similar kind of scrutiny or rejection.
  9. Illinois
    Moves
    11 Aug '07 22:09
    You ask an excellent question that I'm sure many people ask. Why would such an individual want a funeral in a church.? I'll take a stab at it. Gay people are like many other people in that they participate in church and find community and comfort in it. Having a funeral in a church (which I regret society is moving away from) is a way to say that the ...[text shortened]... or for that matter been obese if it would have been a similar kind of scrutiny or rejection.
    Or, if he attended a 'gay rehab' clinic and had been pronounced 'cured', perhaps they might have reconsidered.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Aug '07 00:221 edit
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    Get serious.
    Unfortunatly, I am unable to access the web site in question. My computer has a mind of its own from time to time. Having said that, I can ascertain from the posts thus far that what is being talked about is someone who is gay being dishonered at a church because he was gay. Am I correct? If so that is unfortunate.

I once read a book by a christian psychologist that made a correlation between love and respect. He said that respect is a fundamental component of a relationship envolving love. If so, the Christian attitude should be to try and show respect to others even when they are not showing respect to you. I can think of no reason to show disrespect to another person other than trying to belittle them. The question then becomes, what good comes from that and if nothing good comes from it why do it?
  11. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    12 Aug '07 01:38
    Originally posted by whodey
    Unfortunatly, I am unable to access the web site in question. My computer has a mind of its own from time to time. Having said that, I can ascertain from the posts thus far that what is being talked about is someone who is gay being dishonered at a church because he was gay. Am I correct? If so that is unfortunate.

I once read a book by a christian psy ...[text shortened]... he question then becomes, what good comes from that and if nothing good comes from it why do it?
    I see. I thought you were being disparaging before, but I think I was wrong. Sorry.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    12 Aug '07 02:172 edits
    You ask an excellent question that I'm sure many people ask. Why would such an individual want a funeral in a church.? I'll take a stab at it. Gay people are like many other people in that they participate in church and find community and comfort in it. Having a funeral in a church (which I regret society is moving away from) is a way to say that the or for that matter been obese if it would have been a similar kind of scrutiny or rejection.
    Maybe he would have been rejected than too, but murder isn't a life
    style choice unless the person is a serial killer. I wonder if David C
    sees the hypocriticalness of his complaint? People want the church
    when they want the church, or God when they want God, and if the
    church or God appears to want or not want them for their 'cherry
    picking' of God or the church, than the turn around is fair play.

"Either Jesus fulfilled Levitical law, or he did not. Therefore, I better not see any of these homo-hatin' "religious" types eating shellfish or sportin' tattoos. Can't cherry-pick your commandments."

Kelly
  13. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    12 Aug '07 15:001 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I wonder if David C sees the hypocriticalness of his complaint?
    Actually, Kelly, the hypocrisy is from Christians that use Leviticus to justify bigotry against homosexuals, while ignoring the other commandments therein....laws regarding diet (no shellfish!), or the proper way to sacrifice animals to God.
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    12 Aug '07 15:272 edits
    Originally posted by David C
    Actually, Kelly, the hypocrisy is from Christians that use Leviticus to justify bigotry against homosexuals, while ignoring the other commandments therein....laws regarding diet (no shellfish!), or the proper way to sacrifice animals to God.
    No, you need to follow the way God handled food throughout all of
    scripture, all of the OT and NT so you grasp why Christians feel the
    way we do about it all. There isn't a picking and choosing with regard
    to food and OT law or animal sacrifice for that matter; with scripture
    there is a flow of what is and is not acceptable. I do not
    accept 'homosexuals' as a distinct subset of people because of their
    makeup, they are a subset due to actions, they are no different than
    anyone one else, the distinction is due to actions we put labels on
    like we do adulterers or any other act of infidelity or promiscuity.
    Kelly
  15. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    13 Aug '07 03:09
    To combine answers to different posts...

I saw no indication that the deceased requested a church service. This was something his family wanted, and as funerals are primarily for the mourners there request was not out of line.

However, had he requested a religious sending off I still would feel the same way -- sickened that the church made the decision it did.

*Bad English Alert* I keep not responding to this thread because I know that as strongly as I firmly believe that many people are born with the genetic makeup to be homosexuals and could no more be healthy heterosexuals than KJ could be happy kissing a man, I know he and others feel just as strongly that somehow people choose to fall in love with people of the same gender and thus they're morally superior for not having made that choice.

Giving someone a "Christian Burial" is not an endorsement of "lifestyle" unless that is a blanket endorsement -- meaning that having a Christian funeral for a smoker is an endorsement of smoking, having a funeral for someone who beat his wife endorses that ... etc. It's all or nothing. A Christian funeral is supposed to bring comfort to the family, hope in the resurrection, all that sort of stuff. It's a time to celebrate the life that was, share memories, look at the positive in the person's life and legacy, etc. However, in a just world, those who refused the funeral service will be refused when their time comes because someone disagrees with something about them.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree