1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    28 Apr '12 15:04
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Just a quick update for those interested. I have spent some time today looking at all the versions of the Bible mentioned in this thread. Very unscientific, but I looked at the passages that I am most familiar with and compared. Thanks for the suggestions.

In the end, I have no reliable basis on which select according to accuracy of translation ( ...[text shortened]... the Bible - [reference to book/chapter/verse as appropriate.]

Thanks for all the comments.
    Bon Voyage. I would be interested in hearing about things that surprise you or cause you to rethink your beliefs as you go along.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Apr '12 17:512 edits
    Just a quick update for those interested. I have spent some time today looking at all the versions of the Bible mentioned in this thread. Very unscientific, but I looked at the passages that I am most familiar with and compared. Thanks for the suggestions.

In the end, I have no reliable basis on which select according to accuracy of translation ( the Bible - [reference to book/chapter/verse as appropriate.]

Yes, I think that may be a good choice. Just don't forget to compare the
    translations or paraphrases of other versions on verses that you may have
    trouble clearly understanding. That is sometimes very helpful. Good reading.
    HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord!
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Apr '12 01:231 edit
    Originally posted by nook7
    The bible is a good read if you like fiction.
    Minus Leviticus. 😕

At least, that was the hardest book for me when I first read it cover to cover.

Edit: It's OK to skip the "begats". 😛
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Apr '12 01:33
    Originally posted by whodey
    Minus Leviticus. 😕

At least, that was the hardest book for me when I first read it cover to cover.

Edit: It's OK to skip the "begats". 😛
    Yes, but he will have to come back to them later if he wants to understand everything well. Of course, I still have to go back and reread things I did not pick up on the first time around. I still don't understand a lot of it really, especially endtime prophecies. However, I understand enough to be a believer and that is what counts. HalleluYah !!!
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Apr '12 06:084 edits

In the end, I have no reliable basis on which select according to accuracy of translation ( the Bible - [reference to book/chapter/verse as appropriate.]

The King James edition is a version of a version, it was based on the Latin Vulgate,
    ironic since you wanted to avoid this very thing. Its translators did an excellent job
    with what they had, but there were at the time of its translation very few available
    Greek manuscripts, since then, many more have come to light. The most accurate
    translations are those based upon the Westcort and Hort base text or the Nestle
    base text, yet even this does not guarantee accuracy of translation nor freedom
    from bias.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Apr '12 06:131 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Yes, but he will have to come back to them later if he wants to understand everything well. Of course, I still have to go back and reread things I did not pick up on the first time around. I still don't understand a lot of it really, especially endtime prophecies. However, I understand enough to be a believer and that is what counts. HalleluYah !!!
    no its not, even the demons believe,

(James 2:19-20) . . .You believe there is one God, do you? You are doing quite well.
    And yet the demons believe and shudder.  But do you care to know, O empty man,
    that faith apart from works is inactive?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Apr '12 06:403 edits
    The King James version (KJV)

The King James version was based upon the best texts of the New Testament
    available at the time, principally those published by Desidarious Erasmus between
    1516 and 1535 and Theodore Beza between 1565 and 1604. But by the standards
    of modern Biblical scholarship, the quality of those texts was dismal. Erasmus
    based his text text editions on manuscripts from the 13th, 14th and 15th centuries.
    He worked with only three manuscripts of the gospels, five of Pauls letters and four
    of the rest of the New Testament. The improvements in text editions between
    Erasmus and the production of the KJV were minor at best. The King James
    scholars could have known fewer than twenty-five late manuscripts of the New
    Testament and these were carelessly used. Today there are 5,358 known
    manuscripts and fragments of the New Testament. The superior text base used
    today allows us to identify over a dozen verses included in the KJV that are not
    authentic parts of the New Testament. Dozens of other words and phrases are
    included in the KJV that have little or no basis in the Greek manuscripts: likewise
    many words or phrases are missing from the KJV which are found in reliable Greek
    manuscripts. Many of these differences have their basis is the Latin Vulgate, which
    the King James translators turned to too often as their guide. Often the meaning is
    changed dramatically.

Truth in translation - Accuracy and bias in English translations of the New testament ,
    p.27 - Associate professor Jason David BeDuhn.
  8. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    29 Apr '12 07:21
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Yes, I think that may be a good choice. Just don't forget to compare the
    translations or paraphrases of other versions on verses that you may have
    trouble clearly understanding. That is sometimes very helpful. Good reading.
    HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord!
    I have add the websites of the versions mentioned in this thread to my favourites for easy reference if need be.

Thanks
  9. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    29 Apr '12 07:27
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie

available at the time, principally those published by Desidarious Erasmus between
    of modern Biblical scholarship, the quality of those texts was dismal. Erasmus ...[text shortened]... in English translations of the New testament ,
    Interesting posts. I would hope that God would make sure that the most important stuff would come through all the versions. Given my base point as an ignorant heathen, it's a start! There's nothing to stop me reading other versions later.

However, though it is not the text you would like me to read first, I am sure I will have you watching me like a hawk if I go astray too badly!

😉
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Apr '12 07:511 edit
    Interesting posts. I would hope that God would make sure that the most important stuff would come through all the versions. Given my base point as an ignorant heathen, it's a start! There's nothing to stop me reading other versions later.

However, though it is not the text you would like me to read first, I am sure I will have you watching me like a hawk if I go astray too badly!

😉
    LOL, nah dude, i am not very Calvanistic in my thinking but rather more practical. I
    am thinking that some type of schedule would surely aid you, progressive enough to let
    you wade through the scriptures, but not burdensome enough to weigh you down and
    dishearten you entirely. One would need to know how long you plan to take, perhaps a
    year?
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Apr '12 02:04
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie

of modern Biblical scholarship, the quality of those texts was dismal. Erasmus ...[text shortened]... in English translations of the New testament ,
    Here is an idea, why not just learn to read Hebrew and Greek? 😕
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Apr '12 08:10
    Originally posted by whodey
    Here is an idea, why not just learn to read Hebrew and Greek? 😕
    indeed, because if you cannot you have no way of knowing how accurate your
    translation is, do you.
  13. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    30 Apr '12 11:27
    Why don't we all shut up, get out of the way, and let the man read the Bible ?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree